Older tent has a coating that's peeling off

Scoutman

Explorer
I have a Kelty 2 person backpacking tent that hasn't been used in maybe 10 years. I bought it back in the early 90's when I was in Scouting. I set it up in the rec room the other day in hopes of using it this past weekend but when I did it was sort of wrinkly and felt dirty. Figuring that it may have been put up not in 100% perfect conditions I figured it needing some airing out and a wipe down with a wet rag. A week later and I see now what's going on. There is a lining or a coating that's on the inside of some of the fabric that is peeling/flaking off.

Is there a good detergent/cleaner that I can wash this thing in to get it back 'clean' and then what should I re-coat it with, if anything? I'll see if I can shoot some picts...

Bluedog225

Observer
The tent is toast. Sorry. The liner is separating from the nylon. If it's sticky you can use baking soda or talc to make it a little easier to work with. Some people say if you store your tent unpacked it last longer. Still a good fair weather rig but its glory days are over.

Scoutman

Explorer
That's what I was afraid of. I looked it over really good and the worst parts are on the inside of the front wall where the door is. The floor and rainfly both have that same feel but they're not peeling like the front wall is. The nylon walls that the fly would cover are fine.

IMG_20150311_213303_894.jpg

IMG_20150311_213443_242.jpg

IMG_20150311_213457_202.jpg

IMG_20150311_213518_063.jpg

Scoutman

Explorer
I guess I'll look for a new tent then. I liked using this one 3 seasons (summer excluded due to lack of vents). It made a good winter tent since it cut the wind and was low and snug for 2 people. We used it for backpacking too which we don't do much of anymore but may eventually with my son getting involved with Scouts. It packed up super small but lacked a tarp bottom which was annoying dealing with ground cloths. I have other tents but I'd like a small one for my son and I to use for Scouts.

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
rub that stuff off & give it several layers of scotch guard, as long as you use the fly all should be well for the most part if you really want to use it

wont be perfect

JackW

Explorer
My old Eureka Timberline did the same thing - worse part about it was the smell. When the coating starts peeling off like that it will reek to high heaven.
People walking by my campsite even remarked on it the one time I used it. It was even worse if you were inside it. Time for a new tent.

Scoutman

Explorer
My old Eureka Timberline did the same thing - worse part about it was the smell. When the coating starts peeling off like that it will reek to high heaven.
People walking by my campsite even remarked on it the one time I used it. It was even worse if you were inside it. Time for a new tent.

I really liked those Eureka Timberline tents. We had them when I was in Boy Scouts and packed them all over Philmont. Another good solid tent.

Yes, mine does smell a bit which is why I was hoping to air it out.

kbahus

Adventurer
I would email Kelty before tossing it, they have pretty good customer service and I beleive a lifetime warranty.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I liked using this one 3 seasons (summer excluded due to lack of vents). It made a good winter tent since it cut the wind and was low and snug for 2 people.

I've done some winter camping in a full meshCold night Jan 2014.jpg tent, including the Kelty Trail Ridge 2 and others. I think that solid fabric all around might make a difference of a few degrees, but I've never found that to be significant. First, the fly provides some protection from wind and cold. Second, I rely entirely on my sleeping bag and mattress for warmth, not on the tent. If your sleeping bag and mattress are go to, say, 15 degrees, the tent isn't going to add very many more degrees of warmth. The fly will reduce wind chill though.

Here's the Trail Ridge 2 in winter. The temperature was 5 degrees above zero. The worst problem was my nose. Otherwise toasty. You can see that the fly comes fairly close to the ground. (Sorry, I've never uploaded a photo before and don't know how to rotate it straight. Any tips?)

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
This is actually a good lesson in tent fabrics as they relate to the quality of a tent. Lesser quality tents will use not just a lower quality nylon, they will use fewer/thicker layers of Polyurethane to make it waterproof. Like painting a car, or anything for that matter, the more layers that can be applied, as thin as possible, will yield a more durable coating. Higher quality tents will use more layers, in thinner layers for a more long lasting coating.

Scoutman

Explorer
Well I can't comment to a quality comparison of this tent vs an expo approved tent but I can say that I got a good many years out of this one and that's probably proportional to what was paid for it in the first place.

I contacted Kelty and the bottom line is that there isn't much they can do for me or my tent. Oh well, it was worth a shot. I have 3 other tents of various sizes so I'll really have to have a solid need for a small 2 person tent again before I replace this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online