older LC or newer 4Runner?

dra2120

Hi all...The wife and I are looking at replacing our current truck (an older Infiniti QX56). We are in the very early stages of thinking about this, but at the moment we are thinking the budget will be about $40K. I'm fairly set on a Toyota that has good aftermarket support. So it looks like my options are an older (2012 era) Land Cruiser with around 100K miles, or a newer (2018ish) 4Runner with around 30K-40K miles. I personally like more of a luxury vehicle, plus the overbuiltness of the LC appeals to me, but its hard to argue with newer and lower miles...What is the better options though?

Watt maker

I have a 2008 4runner, 2014 4runner, a 2017 tundra and have worked on and driven a few land cruisers so here’s my perspective. The LC is definitely more luxurious than the 4runner. I also like the 5.7/6-speed combo in the LC much more than the 4.0/5-speed in the 4runner because the larger v8 is so much smoother and the power is on tap when you need it. Both the LC and the 4runner are built well and will take you to the end of the world and back with good tires. If you plan on getting into tight terrain, you may like the slightly smaller 4runner instead of the LC. I would also recommend to look at the GX460/470 line, most of the luxury of the LC but in a 4runner size (same platform with a v8/6-speed).

Porkchopexpress

I thought you were asking new 4runner vs old landcruiser until I read the post. I have a 2018 4runner and I vote landcruiser. Nothing against the 4runner, I think it's great but I think the land cruiser is better enough to accept 6 years and 60k miles extra wear and tear. Supposedly, land cruisers are overbuilt to survive extremely harsh conditions and high mileage. In the long term I also think it would depreciate less or maybe even appreciate. It's a lot less common than the 4runner.

Also, because land cruisers are significantly more expensive new and are kind of an enthusiast vehicle, I think the prior owner is more likely to have taken good care of it, (garage storage, regular preventive maintenance, ect).

Last edited:

beef tits

40k-100k miles is irrelevant on a Toyota as long as it was cared for. Get the one you like better, don't worry about the mileage. Both are reliable and stout.

If it were me I would go for the Land Cruiser, even with 200k miles on it. I test drove a newer 4Runner and they are turds. Compared to my Tundra they are slow with a lumpy ride. Probably even more so compared to an LC. The 4Runner is slightly smaller and probably agile, but everyone and their brother has one already so they also pretty boring IMO.

v8 power is great. I'm a gearhead and I've never found myself wanting to modify my Tundra to eek a few more HP out.

Did the 2012 LC come with a 5.7 or just the 4.6? Find a 5.7 if available. 400 lbs ft.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
Hi all...The wife and I are looking at replacing our current truck (an older Infiniti QX56). We are in the very early stages of thinking about this, but at the moment we are thinking the budget will be about $40K. I'm fairly set on a Toyota that has good aftermarket support. So it looks like my options are an older (2012 era) Land Cruiser with around 100K miles, or a newer (2018ish) 4Runner with around 30K-40K miles. I personally like more of a luxury vehicle, plus the overbuiltness of the LC appeals to me, but its hard to argue with newer and lower miles...What is the better options though?

Where are you finding a 100k mile 2012 LC for $40k? I haven't seen any LC 200's (at that mileage) priced that low for quite some time.

If you're debating budget/purchase options, consider all of your options - I'd heavily suggest a mildly used 5th gen 4runner. You'll save money as compared to both the used LC200 and new 4runner.

As for durability - yes, in theory, the LC200 will last longer. But both are vehicles well capable of surviving hard use (assuming good maintenance) for at least 300k-400k miles. Do you honestly plan to keep the vehicle for longer than that? 4runner is built on the LC Prado platform - it's no slouch in terms of robustness.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I've owned three 5th Gen 4Runners and now two 200 Series trucks, one LX570 and one LC. They both have their strengths and even as similar as they are in size they really are quite different. If having something newer, more discreet, more agile on the trail and simply lower miles then the 4Runner will be hard to beat. While the 4.0L V6 and 5-speed are a bit sluggish and antiquated, they are bullet proof and will give you many trouble free years and it will get slightly better fuel economy than it's bigger brother. The 4Runner will feel a little cheaper and have a noisier cabin and there are tons of them out there if being like the crowd bothers you.

The LC is legendary, it's an icon even in its fluffed top trim version sold here in the states. The 5.7L V8 more than gets the job done and it's just as reliable as the 4.0L in the 4Runner albeit a tiny bit more thirsty lol. At 100-120K miles there are a few larger items that are highly suggested to be replaced, the water pump and radiator most importantly, especially so on the older 200's like you're looking at. Obviously parts are harder to come by and more expensive and simply owning an old higher mileage vehicle will come with the reality that things are more likely to wear out and need replacing. The LC will provide a better ride in all areas and the handling and comfort are superior to the 4Runner as well. Even though it's not much larger on paper it still comes across as such on certain trails.

If someone gave me $40k and told me to pick between the two it'd come down to two things. Do I need to tow and more space and how long do I plan to keep it. If this is a long term or forever rig then I would lean towards the LC but if you're just going to travel with it for a few years and then dump it for the next one I'd probably go for the 4Runner, but if you need to regularly tow more than 3,000lbs then the LC is the only option IMHO. I enjoyed the 4Runners I owned but once you go LC it's hard to drive anything else.

If you get serious about a 4Runner then PM me, I know guy with a very nicely built 5th Gen who is likely going to sell very soon. He moved up to a 200 Series, surprise, surprise.

Land Cruiser 100 or 200 Series hands down. Much heavier built vehicle than the 4Runner, better off road performance also.

Couple of years ago I was doing a trip in the Grand Staircase-Escalante in my 1999 UZJ100 along with a friend driving a 2018 4Runner TRD. The 100 is stock except for newer Bilstein shocks, and "E" rated BFG KO2 tires. My friend commented on the amount of rear wheel travel the 100 exhibited, and how it handled high speed wash board/pothole road conditions better than the 4Runner.

Not dissing the 4Runner, but $40K can go a long way on setting-up an expedition vehicle if one does their homework, versus being "wowed" by all the hype out there.

skrypj

I cant comment on the LC, but ill also throw another vote for the Lexus GX460. Its a 4Runner chassis but has the V8/6speed and some other goodies. Oh and it has the sweet Torsen differetial in the transfer case for the full time 4wd. I use unlocked 4Lo all the time to offroad or move my trailer around the yard without tearing up the lawn or binding on pavement.

At least when i was looking about 1.5 years ago the Gx’s were slightly cheaper even than a similar year/mile 4Runner.

MPG’s will probably be about the same.

The only downside of the GX for me is there is no rear locker from the factory but it is the same axle as the 4R so its no issue getting one. Skidplates, sliders and most of the suspension parts are interchangeable so the aftermarket is pretty solid there. The only thing that is a little less common are front/rear bumpers but they exist

Last edited:

Arktikos

Explorer
What came to mind for me with older LC was FZJ80 or UZJ100. I'd take either of those over any 4Runner, not that there's anything wrong with 4Runners. LC way cooler and most certainly has a greater degree of overbuilt to it.
GX 460 probably the most practical, quality choice unless you've got a lot of gear/kids/pets to haul. Both 4Runner and LC are damn massive these days.

skrypj

What came to mind for me with older LC was FZJ80 or UZJ100. I'd take either of those over any 4Runner, not that there's anything wrong with 4Runners. LC way cooler and most certainly has a greater degree of overbuilt to it.
GX 460 probably the most practical, quality choice unless you've got a lot of gear/kids/pets to haul. Both 4Runner and LC are damn massive these days.

For 40k I think he is talking LC200 or newish 4Runner.

Although for 40k can't you almost get a brand new 4R TRD OR? The ones around here at $42-45k.

Cathleen Shea

I'm biased. We just picked up our 2018 TRD Off Road 4Runner today... traded a 2014 Tacoma. Low miles deal of the century at 11K on the 4Runner. It's true, the ride is truckish... not as smooth as a fancy car... but I didn't buy it for classy. I bought it for the locking rear diff, the V6, one large interior vs. my Taco with seperate cab and back end space.

We talked a lot about our needs, where we wanted the new beast to take us, budget. We set out to buy a 2021, but this deal was too good to pass up. 4Runners are hard to come by right now. I was shocked at how empty the dealership lot was.

You'll know the right choice when the time comes. :)

Cathleen Shea

For 40k I think he is talking LC200 or newish 4Runner.

Although for 40k can't you almost get a brand new 4R TRD OR? The ones around here at $42-45k.

We just paid 39K in Upstate NY for our 4R TRD OR. The 2021 model we were going to order was listed MSRP at 44K. Salesman said out west dealers are getting 10-20K over MSRP. Staggering. The bubble of demand has ours appraised at 49K. Yup, insane. The salesman said we could turn around and easily get 3-4K over what we paid for her. Yeah, no. It's ours now. :)

calicamper

Expedition Leader
We just paid 39K in Upstate NY for our 4R TRD OR. The 2021 model we were going to order was listed MSRP at 44K. Salesman said out west dealers are getting 10-20K over MSRP. Staggering. The bubble of demand has ours appraised at 49K. Yup, insane. The salesman said we could turn around and easily get 3-4K over what we paid for her. Yeah, no. It's ours now. :)
Yep
Its only a Toyota thing. My brother was just shopping for a typical family hauler. All the Toyota dealers on “ALL” models were tacking $5000 over MSRP. He walked. His Wife is now driving a Pilot mid trim 26,000 miles on it paid $28,000. LOL

People are crazy! I wouldn’t pay MSRP for ANY vehicle let alone a dealers made up $5000 grifter fee.

Cathleen Shea

No doubt. Without the trade of our 2014 Tacoma it would have been an insane deal. But I also knew some of the mnx expenses coming on my beloved beat up desert truck... soooo. Ouch! No more wood builds for hauling stuff. No more old wet dogs to haul (RIP). And the 4R just seems easier to climb into for sleeping. It was time for change. :)

skrypj

Im in UT and they seemed to be just below msrp, although there were not all that many available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94