Older Goal Zero power pack refurb.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Does anyone have an old Goal Zero power pack that wont charge anymore? The older batteries are a proprietary size for some of the units, but I'm looking into having new batteries manufactured. The nice thing is that the units will likely end up lighter and with more amp hours since the battery technology has progressed so much over the last few years.

I already rebuilt my Ranger 350, and ended up fitting it with a better battery than what was original.

What old units are out there that can be refurbed? What is in the corner of your garage?

Norcalfamily

Open it up and see what kind of battery and change it. May be you can wire it upto an external. I have an old one that constantly needs charging too.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Ichimonji

I have a 350 that is a complete POS these days. I just got back from 6 days in the Eastern Sierra and I use the 350 to run my CPAP device. It crapped out on me after about 2 hours of use each night (it used to do 2 complete nights of sleep before I'd bother to recharge it). I'd totally be interested in installing refurb batteries.

Mike

93Cummins

Observer
The "Extreme 350" uses the same 33 AH battery as the current Yeti 400. You can order the battery from Goal Zero. I just ordered one to rebuild my device.

spikemd

Explorer
I rebuilt my Extreme350 with a VMAX 35amp hr battery I bought on Amazon for around $100 including shipping. I think the price has gone up a bit now, but the battery has received excellent reviews from the trolling crowd (fishing trolling, not hefers) and is a direct fit. I think any U1 size battery will work, but get an AGM to maximize performance. I have since purchased a Yeti400 at a Costco roadshow (best prices anywhere) and have them chained to double my capacity to around 68amp hrs for running the fridge. Remember, DO NOT use the anderson connectors to run devices as it bypasses the battery protection. Thats how I killed my Extreme 350 in the first place, too many total discharges.

http://www.amazon.com/VMAX857-Battery-Performance-minnkota-trolling/dp/B008974VFG/

plh

Explorer
I have a 350 that is a complete POS these days. I just got back from 6 days in the Eastern Sierra and I use the 350 to run my CPAP device. It crapped out on me after about 2 hours of use each night (it used to do 2 complete nights of sleep before I'd bother to recharge it). I'd totally be interested in installing refurb batteries.

Mike

Did it ever last longer running your CPAP? One of my co-workers is looking for a solution. Like a couple days or more.

Ichimonji

I never tried to go longer than 2 nights because I didn't want to be disturbed by the system shutting down while I was sleeping.

Since we typically drive about 5 hours per day on our "overland" trips, I will charge via the 110v inverter on my truck and arrive in camp fully charged. That has worked until now.

I ordered a replacement battery from GZ. I'm also considering a dual battery setup for the truck to eliminate the hassle of managing the GZ.

Edit: I don't use the humidifier/heater when I'm travelling (to save energy).

Also, while we are on the topic, it seems inefficient to use the 110v inverter, should I just charge via 12v?

Last edited:

spikemd

Explorer
I never tried to go longer than 2 nights because I didn't want to be disturbed by the system shutting down while I was sleeping.

Since we typically drive about 5 hours per day on our "overland" trips, I will charge via the 110v inverter on my truck and arrive in camp fully charged. That has worked until now.

Also, while we are on the topic, it seems inefficient to use the 110v inverter, should I just charge via 12v?

I am assuming you mean charge the Extreme350 via 12v? yes, it is much more efficient than converting to 110v and then converting back to 12v. GZ sells a 12v adapter to charge the 350.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles