Older 2 strokes?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Anyone ride them? I'm talking early to mid-70's bikes like the Yamaha DT, Suzuki TC or TS series, or the Kawasaki Bighorn or similar bikes. Seems like there are a lot of them still out there and they've got me curious...

Spikepretorius

Explorer
I used to dabble a bit. We had an old three cylinder Suzuki. It was called a Water Bus. I don't know if that was the name or just a local nickname.
750cc's. We did some peculiar mods to it. Turned the barrels around and fitted the carbs on the front with ram tubes etc and made a Prostocker out of it. It was too temperamental and didn't really feature but shees when you hit that powerband you better hold on tight.

Last edited:
Love the old 2-strokes! I rode a Hodaka Combat Wombat and a Montesa 250 for years.

I grew up riding 2-strokes, but have been on a 4-stroke for several years now. However, I recently had the opportunity to put a buddy's KTM 300 XC-W through its paces and loved it! I missed the engine braking that my thumper has (2-strokes have pretty much zero engine braking abilities, and I forgot about that going into several fast turns), although I bet that after a couple of rides I'd get used to the feeling again. Hmmm... do I smell some new orange plastic in my near future?

:roost:

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
^The KTM 300 might just be the best bike out there for fun on the trails. My buddy got one a year ago or so, and its a blast to ride. Huge amounts of power, and decent gearing when you need it.

Kermit said:
I just sold my 08. 300XC..KTM finally got the frames right. Those 300's are an absolute joy to ride...they are like a mountian bike with 45-50 horses. Now I am back to four strokes...my 505 XC isn't has nimble as the 300, but, it sure does haul. Flat out smokes the 300 on climbs.
<hijak>
I'll agree with you there- a joy to ride. But... 4-strokes definitely have some convenience advantages, as well as engine braking advantages- at least where I ride, mostly in the woods. I'm always looking at replacing my current bike, but every time I jump back on it, I remember what a great package it is. I currently ride a CRF250X- a little underpowered (I rev the thing like a 2-stroke!), which might be fixed with one of the big-bore kits, but for the most part it's a great, nimble bike and has pretty much never let me down. Plus, pump gas is a good thing- I just hate mixing and storing.

I think what it comes down to, is that a person can have a blast on pretty much whatever they jump on, weather it be a '73 Montesa or an '08 505XC. The important thing is to get out there and ride often- if you get to know your bike well, you can pretty much keep up with (or get smoked by!) your regular riding buddy's.

There's a burn ban in my area right now that's lasted since July 1st, which means that riding in the forest is on hold until it is lifted. I've gone out to some other places, but it turns into a full-day adventure/fiasco... I can't believe I'm sayng this, but I'd be pretty stoked on a bit of rain right now!
</hijak>

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
WhereTheHellIsJames? said:
There's a burn ban in my area right now that's lasted since July 1st, which means that riding in the forest is on hold until it is lifted.

Even if you run a FS approved spark arrestor? Wow, that's harsh. We're as dry as a tinder box here in CO (especially on the Western slope where half the trees are dead from pine beetles) but they still let us ride....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94