Old Square Eyes Gets a Makeover

roamingaz

Explorer
UPDATE

Quick update on a few things done.
The roof rack I originally had made to fit the factory roll bar and a safari top, I used Kargo Master brackets.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12138_901_07.htm
This worked well until my wife wanted a full soft top for winter trips so I went back and forth trying to come up with a solution that would allow use of my rack since I had it built to fit the exact measurements of my top.

My plan was to attach the rack to the LED front brackets since it is heavy steel and then some support bars in the rear.
IMG_0736_zpsb0559a23.jpg

My old welder had burned up and never got around to replacing it so all my fab work I was relying on different shops or people that were recommended but no one was understanding what I wanted built for my rack. I was beyond irritated that I would bring my Jeep into a fab shop and but once they found out I was not building it for "rompin" and "crawlin" then whatever project I needed done took back burner so several local business's lost me as a customer.
My soft top had already started to come apart in a couple areas so figured that I could try plan B and cut slots in the top and use the original brackets. The first cut is the hardest but after that it was no problem and once everything got rough cut I took it to a marine upholstery shop and had them reinforce the holes. Communication wasn't a great thing at that shop and they simply patched the slots I had made and refused to cut new slots because they may not line up so they did not charge me for the work. I was frustrated that I was having so many obstacle's trying to get this thing done and amazed at the level of stupidity I was running into, if it didn't come in a box with a part number it couldn't be done.
So here is the patch job that had to recut.
77858E50-11AE-4E43-BD95-7E57FD1ED344_zpsajvyyuyn.jpg

EFB536AA-0F84-48FA-9F1D-23EE20014B89_zpskz686fz8.jpg

584CDC7E-2E80-441B-85D5-DF18F7081080_zpsxq5vdxq4.jpg

5B48EF08-70E8-4D51-BD0E-538B0522C184_zpsaf9j241s.jpg

I still need to clean up the brackets and repaint the rack but overall it is a very solid mount, it does leak a bit but rain isn't a big deal hear in Arizona and a soft top is never going to seal up as well as a hard top anyway.
I am debating if I should move the light bar under the rack, plenty of room and would give me a bit more visibility.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Ha!... I knew you were going to cut your soft top when mentioned the rack earlier in your thread. I suppose if you were going to have and trouble with rain you could sew in some overlapping rubber flaps across the slots that would pretty much seal against the metal. As for the upholstery sewing, you can get a canvas awl and while it is hard to make LOOK good it is not hard to sew through top material and make it secure. Nice work... innovative.

John

swift7777

°.lllllll.°
I've wondered how this could be done on my JK too, I guess there is no other way but to cut the top, unfortunately here in the Northeast we get a lot more rain than Arizona. The roll bar is just a great solid location to mount a rack.

roamingaz

Explorer
Update-Electrical

With all the extra electrical add on's I have done, the stock system needed some work. Electrical work I actually enjoy doing and have a lot of experience with it so this was the going to be the easy part for me.
I started with dual batteries, unfortunately most bolt in dual battery trays for a YJ Jeep were made to fit 2 Optima batteries but I wanted 2 DieHard Platinum. I lucked out and discovered that the Rugged Ridge dual battery tray would work and my luck continued when I found a sale at sears that I was able to get a Platinum starting battery and a Platinum marine battery for $300.
After installing the batteries I also installed a fuse block with an in line circuit breaker and just barely had enough room to mount my ARB twin air compressor. The compressor is pretty impressive but also draws a power sucking 56 amps! :Wow1:
A6FAFBCD-2E47-44C2-B685-F8B358870894_zpsizhg64mn.jpg

For right now I just have the batteries connected together until I can decide on which dual battery system I want. I like the IBS and have used it in a previous vehicle but also considering just going with an old school marine manual switch.
As for whats hooked to the batteries, battery 1 is the starting battery and also have the winch hooked to it, battery 2 has the ARB fridge and compressor hooked directly to it and the fuse panel is powered by it also. The fuse panel right now only has my switch panel and CB hooked up to it, I have an additional 4 spaces to add more stuff as I need it. I am waiting on some parts to come in to finish the switch panel but also thinking of going with the new Switch-Pros system.
I ordered a wire kit to upgrade the headlights but waiting on it to arrive and will update once installed.
One last thing I wanted was a telescopic camp light, I was trying to find a Kaymar light but couldn't locate one for sale in the states and shipping from Australia wasn't cost effective for what it is, so I built one.
The parts list was pretty simple.
Telescopic paint pole
5/16 stainless all thread and nuts
16-3 coiled power cord
LED flood light
87821E56-482A-4234-A08F-14C386DA188E_zpst4gbpnjz.jpg

The holes left from the the tailgate hinge was really bugging me so it was a perfect spot for this light.
F261E0E7-A716-4D4E-A765-221BFD906A78_zps7yrfu89c.jpg

Cut some scrap metal I had and welded a section of 1.25" tubing for the base
6B021D3F-F651-41AA-BC31-6372A7AB4E7C_zpswv7zpuuj.jpg

72093500-F078-445D-A029-AC602E32F7C9_zpsokfumb6t.jpg

I cut the paint pole to the legnth I needed to fit inside the tubing then cut the top part of the roller attachment off and bored out the hole to fit the all thread and mounted the light bracket on it.
4C82C373-15AB-4066-B0CC-B29BFBCE70CE_zpsewyxgrbf.jpg

1A14A07F-4086-47D7-882F-BD2C417DDF8F_zpsetjrd2k8.jpg

The bottom section I added a piece of rubber to keep the all thread centered.
65847767-B339-48C4-8F2C-F99C56621AC4_zpsie58lsia.jpg

08AFDB09-B294-44AC-A3FF-B8636E037491_zps4tu8kduq.jpg

90B7A949-E71C-4B2A-B0AB-3B67F42C960A_zpsfhmukj1k.jpg

Very bright light and works very well, i may upgrade to a different light that I can put a color lens on so bright white light when needed for setting up camp or cooking and a color lens for lighting that isn't so bright for when just hanging out in camp.
98122D8D-3EDA-4A8F-AFF5-514E48AF84E7_zpsgokxznsi.jpg

forest522

Great thread! Very innovative. I applaud your 'I already own one' epiphany as you walked away from the dealership. A very wise decision to use the money you have on hand to make it what you want and have no car payment!

Cheers to you sir!:clapsmile

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94