Old man-big brakes

Bluedog225

Observer
Good afternoon,

I seem to have lost track of the big brake upgrade options for jeeps. Back in the day, the MOPAR big brake kit was the way to go.

I can’t find one. Even called a dealership and they said ”huh”.

I’d appreciate any info on my best brake upgrade options these days.

2013 jku, stock ish with 17” wheels.

Getting ready to for a big cross-country trip with a cargo conversion trailer and would like some more stopping power.

Many thanks

Tom

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I would start at Quadratec or 4 wheel pets websites. Mopar online warehouses will still have the kits too.

Decent trailer brakes will go a long way for a lot less dough though.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Good afternoon,

I seem to have lost track of the big brake upgrade options for jeeps. Back in the day, the MOPAR big brake kit was the way to go.

I can’t find one. Even called a dealership and they said ”huh”.

I’d appreciate any info on my best brake upgrade options these days.

2013 jku, stock ish with 17” wheels.

Getting ready to for a big cross-country trip with a cargo conversion trailer and would like some more stopping power.

Many thanks

Tom
77072434. I think it for newer years, but we sell a lot of them. They sale for around $800.00

gatorgrizz27

If the trailer doesn’t have brakes, add those first. I pull a trailer (with brakes) almost daily, and find myself running up on stops in my wife’s car, it has 20” wheels and Brembo’s on it. My reply when she asks me if I’m planning on stopping “yeah, I’m used to the trailer brakes slowing me down.”

billiebob

Go to WranglerTJForum.
One of the regulars build Jeep Big Brake kits.

His handle is Mr Blaine... I think.
I think the product is Black Magic Brakes.

" Big Brake Kits including the Vanco Big Brake kits and JK Big Brake Kits"

No idea how good they are but he has a loyal following.

Last edited:

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I got a unique opportunity to test my brakes out recently when my wife got the exact model and year of JKU that I own, minus all of the aftermarket add ons. The Jeeps tested were both 2018 JKUR recon editions produced in the same month. The option packages are nearly identical. Her Jeep has 3.73 ratio axles and mine are 4.10. This shouldn't affect braking at all but I feel I need to mention it. Her Jeep is factory weight with factory suspension, OEM brakes and the factory BFG KM1 255/75r17 tires. My Jeep has an OME 2 1/2" lift. I'm running 285/75R17 KO2 tires with OEM brakes. My Jeep was @5500 lbs when tested with my winch, Ursa Minor top, camping gear and larger tires, etc... Her Jeep is @5100 lbs. I took it out on a paved backroad and tested 60-0 stopping distance and her Jeep could out brake mine by 39 feet on average. I wasn't impressed with the slow braking of my Jeep so I felt an upgrade was in order. I thought I would try the simplest thing first that wouldn't require many aftermarket components so I purchased the Teraflex slotted big rotor kit for the front. I was really hoping to cut the distance between our Jeeps performance in half. The install took all of thirty minutes with minimal tools. I didn't notice any difference in day to day use but the proof is in the pudding so to speak. I drove the Jeep for a couple weeks to break the new rotors in with my factory pads (they were still very thick) and then one day took it out and tested it. My Jeep with 34" rubber will now outstop her factory Jeep by 5' on average. To say I was surprised is an understatement! I do think I could get her numbers down with some different tires that are more street biased, but compared to stock I now have better confidence when flying down the interstate in heavy traffic.

billiebob

Being a truck driver for many years I learned to never rely on the brakes.... far better to pay attention and look a loong way ahead. I could drive Edmonton to Vancouver, 500 miles thru the mountains and never touch the brakes unless I was actually stopping. In the commercial brake check pull outs I'd never need to adjust the brakes. Even today with my Jeep pulling a trailer I rarely touch the brakes.

IF braking and stopping quick are important to you forgo the ego thing of lifts and bigger tires, stay stock and do the brake upgrade.

Interesting fact.... an emergency stop with an 8 axle super bee from 60mph generates enough heat to melt and boil a 150# block of ice.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
JL brakes are a good upgrade and they bolt to the JK spindles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can you verify that with part numbers and / or photos?

I’ve been trying to figure that out and haven’t found any confirmed sources saying “yes”.

(none)

Adventurer
i did the mopar BBK years ago on my '12 Rubicon 2DR running 35s. Easy to install kit, nice that it even comes with a master cylinder. Especially for the price, it's hard to beat.

toddz69

Explorer
Blaine's Big Brake kits work well and are pretty popular.

Here's another one I really like:

The Dynatrac kit is great because you re-use your existing calipers and don't even have to crack the system and re-bleed. You put on larger rotors and revised brackets which gives you greater braking torque and more thermal capacity with the larger rotors. If I was modifying a JK's brakes, it's the kit I would use.

Todd Z.

MKKRubi

Here are some pictures of them mocked up on my 2006 Unlimited. JK front axle. Rancho high steer knuckles.
9fffc5760ed2db49127ab23891745be7.jpg

Here is the part # for the caliper. The rotor is 13 inches..
da730bea5f430c1b46fe157d4cb5b480.jpeg

These same calipers were used on dodge mini vans around 2012 and later.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Here are some pictures of them mocked up on my 2006 Unlimited. JK front axle. Rancho high steer knuckles.
9fffc5760ed2db49127ab23891745be7.jpg

Here is the part # for the caliper. The rotor is 13 inches..
da730bea5f430c1b46fe157d4cb5b480.jpeg

These same calipers were used on dodge mini vans around 2012 and later.

That is pretty cool. Thank you. Did you do the rears too?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles