old beat up Isuzu Trooper finds a new purpose in life

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Well, that "boring AF" maint stuff really helps it make it worth it. All the cool doodads won't matter if it doesn't run well down the road or lets you down on the trail. Nice work!!

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I haven't been on this site in a while but I've enjoyed reading through your build. I'm also a former FJ owner now converted to a 98 troopy, same color as yours. Bought it for $3k with 150 on the clock, a little beat up but not bad. Changed the oil and took off for the Sierras, for 3 weeks not a single issue. I love the truck and that there is enough room for me to sleep in the back with the dogs. My only complaint is those stock front seats... They are like a vice on long trips.

I really like the table/rack thing you built on the back door, I've been looking for something like that!

Cheers.

RoadBoss

I haven't been on this site in a while but I've enjoyed reading through your build. I'm also a former FJ owner now converted to a 98 troopy, same color as yours. Bought it for $3k with 150 on the clock, a little beat up but not bad. Changed the oil and took off for the Sierras, for 3 weeks not a single issue. I love the truck and that there is enough room for me to sleep in the back with the dogs. My only complaint is those stock front seats... They are like a vice on long trips.

I really like the table/rack thing you built on the back door, I've been looking for something like that!

Cheers.
I agree the seats in these things are terrible. I had to buy an extra seat cushion on my california trip because after 3 days of driving both my legs were falling asleep

RoadBoss

Well I haven't been on here in a while, the trooper has gotten a bit of use and abuse and is doing well. Currently needs a front left CV but everything else has help up great.
Still haven't installed the front locker, but I will probably get to that once the weather warms up a bit and I can rely on driving my ae86 corolla to work for a little while the trooper is down.

I made a little walk through/tour video if anyone is interested,

as well as a few more adventure videos

jfman

Nice build!

In the first post you were talking get 15mog in the FJ.

What do you get in this one?

Do you still think of converting to a diesel powerplant?

RoadBoss

Nice build!

In the first post you were talking get 15mog in the FJ.

What do you get in this one?

Do you still think of converting to a diesel powerplant?

just stopped by for my yearly thread check.

the trooper was getting around 15 mpg (combined) as well, managed around 18 on the highway, but it will run on dirt and water rather than the premium fuel needed by the pre-2010 FJC.

I wanted to do the diesel swap, but the 4JG2t engine/manual trans no longer seem to be available, and the later model isuzu diesel trooper was garbage.

I ended up picking up a 2020 ranger, and this trooper is now sitting quietly waiting for more upgrades at some point.

rfoubi

Observer
Love this build. I've thought about the roof cut to rooftop tent many times. Glad to see someone do it, looks like a fun rig

Heading Out

Adventurer
Nice build, i had a Trooper as well, loved it, drove and wheeled great.

My only advice for your build is move the propane tank outside the vehicle for safety.

Just read the whole thread start to finish. That is a sweet rig although you are giving me way too many ideas for the 87 Trooper I acquired yesterday. I was planning to stay mostly stock and give it to my daughter for her 1st car but now I’m thing she might end up in my old Ram pickup.

How do you like that new Ranger? I have a 19 that I love. Surprisingly capable in stock form. I taken mine some places that I thought would be sketchy and it crawled right through drama free.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
An ingenious build, and I love low-buck solutions.

I do have one quibble: Your propane tank in the back of the passenger compartment doesn't seem to be vented to the outside in any way (unless I missed that part.) A small vent in the side of your vehicle would be a prudent safety measure. And it wouldn't be a big deal since you've already cut into the body in various places.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles