OK4WD Black Buffalo ? (2019 ZR2 Bison Build Thread)

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
While waiting for my AEV wheels to return from paint, I re-installed the OE wheels with 285/70R17 KO2 tires. Surprising it did not look as funny as I would have imagined.

bison41.jpg

However with the AEV Crestone wheels painted and Cooper STT PRO tires mounted, it was a whole different truck! ?

bison42.jpg

Mawgie

That is a gorgeous truck. Three queries if you don't mind. 1) Has your reliability experience with the Duramax drivetrain been good? 2) Also, can you ballpark the total additional weight of the mods thus far, and has the add'l weight had a noticeable impact on pavement driving performance (e.g., more sluggish to accelerate; fuel economy; braking has gotten less confident, anything like that?) Are you over GVW? 3) I am also curious about the living space inside the camper, particularly with the top popped but bed retracted to maximize floor space and head room. Could you post a few interior pics when you have some time? I mean no disrespect to the baby Dmax platform. I really like it, but a tad wary after reading a few of the horror stories about what were hopefully early teething pains with the platform. Thanks.

Last edited:

rino

That is a gorgeous truck. Three queries if you don't mind. 1) Has your reliability experience with the Duramax drivetrain been good? 2) Also, can you ballpark the total additional weight of the mods thus far, and has the add'l weight had a noticeable impact on pavement driving performance (e.g., more sluggish to accelerate; fuel economy; braking has gotten less confident, anything like that?) Are you over GVW? 3) I am also curious about the living space inside the camper, particularly with the top popped but bed retracted to maximize floor space and head room. Could you post a few interior pics when you have some time? I mean no disrespect to the baby Dmax platform. I really like it, but a tad wary after reading a few of the horror stories about what were hopefully early teething pains with the platform. Thanks.

Well engine wise I have had no issues, a few little things with the steering rack and shocks but GM has been great with covering items given the modifications.

With having a 2017 Tacoma in the fleet with nearly the same parts list, I still prefer the ZR2. Fuel economy, torque, ground clearance, weight and ride quality with 35"s is untouched. The best comparison I can give is between a KTM 500EXC and a Honda XR650L. One you know will always work, the other while maybe not as financially responsible is a whole different way of getting you to the same destination. :)

Mawgie

Well engine wise I have had no issues, a few little things with the steering rack and shocks but GM has been great with covering items given the modifications.

With having a 2017 Tacoma in the fleet with nearly the same parts list, I still prefer the ZR2. Fuel economy, torque, ground clearance, weight and ride quality with 35"s is untouched. The best comparison I can give is between a KTM 500EXC and a Honda XR650L. One you know will always work, the other while maybe not as financially responsible is a whole different way of getting you to the same destination. :)
Thanks, Rino. Most appreciated.

DNLUSK

I really like your truck. I don't think the Colorado is as ancient as an XR650L though.

rino

Gotcha. I would agree on the plastic look, hopefully, there is a better solution. I bookmarked it anyway as we are hoping to add a Alu-Cab CC to our recently purchased Bison.

Thank you,

Jack

Awesome! It is one hell of a combination, feel free to let me know if you have specific questions I can answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles