oil water separator

GR8ADV

Explorer
Can anyone provide me with a sketch as to how the oil/water separator should be plumbed on a 2004 fuso? Seems simple, but this is just not my thing. Thanks.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Put the water separator in the line between the tank pick-up and the OEM filter input.

A word of caution here... given that your model is likely using a fuel injection primer pump at the engine end, it will be pulling the fuel from the tank.
Don't use a filter in the water separator/filter that is too fine, or you could starve the primer pump. I have a FG500 Parker water separator in my truck and run a 30 micron filter in it. I have not experienced any issues with that setup.

filters.JPG

GR8ADV

Explorer
Put the water separator in the line between the tank pick-up and the OEM filter input.

A word of caution here... given that your model is likely using a fuel injection primer pump at the engine end, it will be pulling the fuel from the tank.
Don't use a filter in the water separator/filter that is too fine, or you could starve the primer pump. I have a FG500 Parker water separator in my truck and run a 30 micron filter in it. I have not experienced any issues with that setup.

View attachment 292705

Holy octopus batman. Can you make a simple line in line out sketch for me? If that would be cool. It has been bypassed for the last many years. I am not sure why. Maybe for the reasons you mentioned. Maybe I should let sleeping dogs sleep.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Maybe with some descriptions it's a little easier to follow... :)

Unlike most petrol engines, a diesel has a fuel supply line, to either the injector pump or the common rail primer pump, and a return line back to the tank.

My OEM fuel filter has 4 connections (2 ins and 2 outs):
* in for fuel from the tank
* out for filtered fuel to the primer pump (then to the common rail high pressure pump)
* in for bypass fuel from the primer pump
* out for fuel being returned to the tank.

The fittings on the OEM filter are 10mm for fuel going to the engine and 8mm for fuel being returned to the tank, so it is easy to see which line is for which. There are also arrows on the OEM filter housing indicating the flow direction.
The additional water trap is simply fitted between the tank outlet and the OEM filter.

filters_02.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne