Oil Pump Failed and Destroyed 2005 Wrangler Engine

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
The oil pump of my 2005 Wrangler (72000 miles) failed suddenly, destroying the engine in the process. Since the vehicle is not under warrantee this turned out to be a very expensive fix. This is just a couple of months after replacing the manual transmission that wouldn't go backwards. Much as I like this vehicle I'm seriously wishing I'd bought a more reliable Land Rover instead!

outdoors

Observer
The oil pump of my 2005 Wrangler (72000 miles) failed suddenly, destroying the engine in the process. Since the vehicle is not under warrantee this turned out to be a very expensive fix. This is just a couple of months after replacing the manual transmission that wouldn't go backwards. Much as I like this vehicle I'm seriously wishing I'd bought a more reliable Land Rover instead!

Actually it was most likely your Oil Pump Drive Assembly, that failed causing the pump to stop. This problem has been at times chronic for some 05-06' owners, and something we should all check periodically "if" we know about it. Sorry to hear about the misfortune.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/o...5r-consolidated-registry-please-sign-1084723/

Jp90Talon

Adventurer
Had the same issue but was lucky that I was only traveling <5mph on a trail when it happen so I was able to shut it right down. I think its BS that Jeep knows of the issue and hasnt issued a recall for all 05-06 Wranglers or even offered a perm fix. It is borderline class action suit material.

Had the same issue but was lucky that I was only traveling <5mph on a trail when it happen so I was able to shut it right down. I think its BS that Jeep knows of the issue and hasnt issued a recall for all 05-06 Wranglers or even offered a perm fix. It is borderline class action suit material.

True enough. After I read about it I went to my dealer with the info in hand, they did some research and they told me there's no recall, so everything they do would have to come out of my pocket, even pulling it out to check it. Plus, even if your pump shows signs of abnormal wear I don't think you can actually find a pump that resolves the problem, since there's varying views as to which one of them is better and which has the exact same problems and the dealer definitely doesn't know which version of the pump to use as a replacement. If it ever failed I'd probably raise a stink with Chrysler/my dealer, although I'm pretty sure it wouldn't resolve anything (just me venting a bit).

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
Sucks... I hunted for a while for my low miles 06 LJ. The LJ is my favorite model but then after a few weeks of reading (after purchase) I found out I have a time bomb for an engine. I thought I would be safe for awhile with only 22ish thousand miles on mine right now but some people report issues with less miles. Hopefully if a failure occurs it happens soon, I got a 3 yr/36k mile warranty when I bought it. I am about a yr and 7k into that.

bldeagle10

Explorer
this is a very common problem as stated, I have heard of a perm fix that some dealerships have come up with, not exactly sure where I saw this though. and I'm not sure how it's holding up.

Had a friend with the same issue on his 04 unlimited last month. Luckily his had the extended powertrain warranty. Jeep fixed it for cheap. His rig had just under 60k on it.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Yeah this is really frustrating. I found myself looking at a Nissan Frontier over the weekend but hopefully that will pass and I'll start enjoying what is now almost a brand new Jeep!

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Much as I like this vehicle I'm seriously wishing I'd bought a more reliable Land Rover instead!

You obviously don't know much about Land Rovers if you think that. They have just as many, or maybe even more, weak components. The parts will cost you way more than the Jeep parts.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
wishing I'd bought a more reliable Land Rover instead!

17-I-lol.jpg

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
You obviously don't know much about Land Rovers if you think that. They have just as many, or maybe even more, weak components. The parts will cost you way more than the Jeep parts.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Don't worry, it was a joke; I am British, after all. Nobody in their right mind would by a LR for its reliability. That said, since I was a kid I've always wanted a series 2A LR or 2 door RR but fortunately my perverted sense of common sense always prevailed. So instead I've driven more reliable and cheaper to maintain vehicles like a 1990 Saab 9000 Turbo and a 1985 VW Vanagon Westfalia. :)

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
Graham - sorry to hear about the failure. This is a problem that has been discussed extensively on a number of Jeep forums, however the problem is not one discussed by dealers or in other media. Therefore many 05/06 Jeep owners never hear about it. The problem is "solvable", and a repeat failure is avoidable with some simple modifications to the Oil Pump Drive Assembly (OPDA). I did the modification to mine in less than an hour. My OPDA was howling just after startup at around 70k miles. I now have over 110k miles on the same engine and OPDA, and will get many more miles from this engine.

Daimler/Chrysler changed sources for a number of components used in the last two years of the TJ/LJ line, and it was not in an effort to improve quality. They cheapened parts and used components from other models simply to streamline and maximize profitability on a soon to be terminated vehicle line. It was shameful. The engine failures occurring in the last 2 years of production of such a venerable engine as the 4.0 inline six are due to accountants, not engineers.

BTW -anyone even THINKING about sourcing a stroker from Titan, PLEASE do your homework. There are far better sources.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles