Oil cooler housing part number?

jadmt

After close inspection with a bright light, I was able to find one small Chrysler “star” in the bottom side of the filter housing, the front side underneath after it is installed. Otherwise they are the same, down to the purple marker across the bolt heads.

I can’t figure out why this isn’t an aluminum casting. Maybe I’ll make a mold? More fun with casting!

Anyway... all of the top pictures are the amazon part and the bottom is dealership over the counter. They came in identical brown cardboard boxes with small Mopar labels.

.View attachment 546255View attachment 546256View attachment 546257View attachment 546258View attachment 546259
certainly makes no sense that for the environment it lives in it would not be aluminum or some other crack/warp resistant material. Mishimoto was apparently interested in making an improved part but I have not heard anything about when. They were reading various jeep forums and they contacted people who had theirs crack and inquiring if we would be interested in a better one but so far nothing.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Given the time and $$ involved to install, and the $500 I just spent for 2 plastic ones, I think 5-600 for an aluminum one isn’t out of the question. I’m not sure, but it doesn’t look like a complicated casting or fluid flow. I’ve been messing around with the idea of home aluminum casting. This would certainly be an “advanced” project, but I might work up to it. In 2019 so far, I’ve spent almost $1700 replacing coolers, I’ll do the next one myself, so no labor spend, but that would be another 600-900, and that isn’t counting the rental Jeep I needed the first time while mine was down. This feels like it is worth figuring out.