Oil cooler housing part number?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
High frustration here. I’m leaking oils down the back of engine again. About 10 months / 18k miles ago this happened and I had an Oil Filter Housing / Cooler changed in Moab. I’m well aware of parts infant mortality, and recognize this may just be a simple failure, but I’m confused by what appear to be at least 12 part
Number revisions. Does anyone know the latest or best? The Mopar websites all seem to list a part that starts with 594...AE. This says it replaces all others, including 594...AF. Meanwhile there is a 618...AF that is listed by application as covering my application. 2014 JKUR with only 86k miles. I shouldn’t be going on my 3rd oil cooler. This is insane. Could there be another underlying issue? Thanks!

GB_Willys_2014

FWIW, AFAIK, the latest greatest is 618...AF.

Are you sure you installed MOPAR original?

There is some internet chatter about low quality third-party versions marketed as MOPAR original.

And, looks like I too have a fake part marketed as a MOPAR.

I can send a picture if you like.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I’m actually pretty sure I did NOT install mopar original. The first failure was over the Christmas holiday in Moab and I had a small 4x4 shop install “whatever Amazon could deliver fast”.

I ordered the “mopar” 618...AF from an amazon seller for delivery tomorrow, I’m still driveable, but for how long? I’m sure 98 PSI at cold start isn’t helping oil leaks much.

If there are telltales on a “mopar” vs “fake” part, I would love to know what they are.

Thanks for the response!

GB_Willys_2014

YW.

Note this the reviews on this Amazon link:

Mopar Engine Oil Filter Adapter W/ 3.6L V6 Engine https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BPRZ43O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_wNCRDb89C6T93

Some people have posted pictures of a part WITHOUT the MOPAR TM.

I have such a part. I will send a picture when I can.

I bought a part for insurance, my OCD :), and specifically bought the linked item because the seller represented MOPAR original. Doesn't seem to be the case in hindsight.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
YW.

Note this the reviews on this Amazon link:

Mopar Engine Oil Filter Adapter W/ 3.6L V6 Engine https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BPRZ43O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_wNCRDb89C6T93

Some people have posted pictures of a part WITHOUT the MOPAR TM.

I have such a part. I will send a picture when I can.

I bought a part for insurance, my OCD :), and specifically bought the linked item because the seller represented MOPAR original. Doesn't seem to be the case in hindsight.

Perfect! It figures. Your link is the part I just ordered last night. Unfortunately, the same seller is the one representing “genuine Mopar” on all available parts. I think a trip to the dealership might be in order. Unfortunately, 2 of 3 dealerships in the area are absolute garbage, and the other is inconvenient to get to.

Maybe replacing my Jeep with a rental car is a better solution.

jadmt

ignore button user
I have found that I have tried to give negative reviews to some of these sellers and reviews never show up.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Thank you. I have the same suspicion.

I also don’t know the failure mode. I’m assuming it is O-Ring failure? If I had available downtime I would investigate the O-Rings and source better materials for replacement.

Anyway, thank you for the links. I’m going to call the dealer now.

GB_Willys_2014

Perfect! It figures. Your link is the part I just ordered last night. Unfortunately, the same seller is the one representing “genuine Mopar” on all available parts. I think a trip to the dealership might be in order. Unfortunately, 2 of 3 dealerships in the area are absolute garbage, and the other is inconvenient to get to.

Good luck!

I have found that I have tried to give negative reviews to some of these sellers and reviews never show up.

Yup. I submitted a review noting disappointment too.

Completely OT: Amazon has to do better with unscrupulous vendors. Too much of this crap.

jadmt

ignore button user
Thank you. I have the same suspicion.

I also don’t know the failure mode. I’m assuming it is O-Ring failure? If I had available downtime I would investigate the O-Rings and source better materials for replacement.

Anyway, thank you for the links. I’m going to call the dealer now.
no it is the plastic cracking or at least it was on my 2014 jkur. It is a terrible design.

jeepers29

no it is the plastic cracking or at least it was on my 2014 jkur. It is a terrible design.

[/QUOTE
It was the plastic that cracked on mine as well. Started smelling burning oil one day. The next day had a major leak at start up and had to be towed to dealer. Complete crap part that every re design seems to do the same thing.

NatersXJ6

Explorer

A quick follow up.

I got scared and covered my bases by buying a part handed over the counter at the actual dealership. I’m happy (sort of) to report that the amazon part sold by the link above arrived today and is exactly the same as the dealer part. Same box, same label, same shinyness to the plastic, same o-rings falling partway out, and same printed part identification. @GB_Willys_2014, the Mopar part out of the dealership box does not say Mopar anywhere on it either. There are a bunch of printed QR codes though. The dealership was $100 more than amazon out the door. I wish I could claim to have an “extra” now, but I suspect I’m just dollar cost averaging my next one!

As an aside, the last few days of trying to drive to maintain “low” oil pressure of 30 psi or thereabouts have been interesting to say the least... slow to say the most!

GB_Willys_2014

A quick follow up.

I got scared and covered my bases by buying a part handed over the counter at the actual dealership. I’m happy (sort of) to report that the amazon part sold by the link above arrived today and is exactly the same as the dealer part. Same box, same label, same shinyness to the plastic, same o-rings falling partway out, and same printed part identification. @GB_Willys_2014, the Mopar part out of the dealership box does not say Mopar anywhere on it either. There are a bunch of printed QR codes though. The dealership was $100 more than amazon out the door. I wish I could claim to have an “extra” now, but I suspect I’m just dollar cost averaging my next one!

As an aside, the last few days of trying to drive to maintain “low” oil pressure of 30 psi or thereabouts have been interesting to say the least... slow to say the most!
Very interesting. Thanks for the follow-up. The mystery deepens.

I believe the original factory part did have MOPAR labelling.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
After close inspection with a bright light, I was able to find one small Chrysler “star” in the bottom side of the filter housing, the front side underneath after it is installed. Otherwise they are the same, down to the purple marker across the bolt heads.

I can’t figure out why this isn’t an aluminum casting. Maybe I’ll make a mold? More fun with casting!

Anyway... all of the top pictures are the amazon part and the bottom is dealership over the counter. They came in identical brown cardboard boxes with small Mopar labels.

.9172BA53-22DA-4A0F-B68A-4F006C686497.jpegAA28B6D7-05B2-402F-9B04-262991FBE568.jpeg1F6BDB99-7D31-4EE5-987C-12D7AB4BADB2.jpeg898B4F67-A4C2-4E59-93F4-9CE8A9CA7F02.jpegB5488787-80EC-4E2E-9367-23D67496425B.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior