Oh god, BKCowGod got another'un (Dakota mild build thread)

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
So I got sick of not having a pick-em-up truck and found this thing languishing in the back of a dealer lot. He wanted $6k. I started laying $100 bills on his desk and stopped at $2000 and just stared at him until he said "okay".

Here's the basics:
1995 Dakota SLT Club Cab
Factory & Aftermarket @ time of purchase:
  • Four Wheel Drive
  • Towing Package
  • 22gal Gas Tank
  • Limited Slip Differential
  • Infinity Premium Sound
  • Automatic Transmission
  • 5.2 Liter V8
  • HD Cooling
  • Cab-height camper shell

Condition at time of purchase:
  • Purchased January 2013 for $2000
  • 145,000 miles
  • Mechanically near perfect. Radiator clogged
  • Radio malfunctioning
  • Inoperable gas gauge
  • Steering wheel worn
  • Bad lift struts on camper shell
  • Good tread on Goodyear Wrangler tires
  • Faded wheel arch flares and airdam

Goals for this vehicle:
  • 20mpg highway at 80mph
  • Comfortable for two + one (12yr old son)
  • As much performance as possible without giving up MPG or reliability
  • Reliable enough to get in, turn the key, and go to Alaska if we want
  • Should not stand out – no modifications should be visible
P7121742.JPG

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Baseline
Whenever I purchase a vehicle, I like to get a solid baseline. My first project was simply to get it ready to upgrade. The following parts were researched extensively and chosen for their reliability, quality, longevity, and performance potential.
  • Brass terminal cap and rotor
  • STI spark plug wires (made in the USA and a lot cheaper than Magnecor)
  • MSD ignition coil
  • MSD StreetFire multispark ignition box
  • Oil change with Mobil Super 10-40 & Purolator Gold filter
  • Transmission flush
  • Replaced camper shell lift struts

Thoughts: I honestly don't think the MSD stuff adds any performance, but it does idle smoother with the multispark box than without.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Chasing the cooling system
My first big challenge was an overheating problem. I redid the entire cooling system to ensure reliability. An upcoming project will replace the clutch fan with an electric fan.
  • New fan clutch
  • New hoses
  • Factory radiator
  • 180 degree high flow thermostat
  • New coolant with Redline Water Wetter

Thoughts: With the new cooling system, I have never seen it get to the halfway point, even idling on 95deg days with the AC on full blast. The future switch to efans is simply because I can't leave well enough alone and I want to free up as much rotating mass as possible.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Breathing
The Magnum engine is plenty powerful, but I hate lost potential. The modifications below allow the engine to inhale and exhale much more efficiently. The next step in this department will be a switch to headers and a high flow cat.
  • Edelbrock hot-air intake, 14" round cloth filter and Edelbrock breather
  • Ported & polished throttle body
  • Aluminum intake manifold plate mod
  • Dynomax Ultra-Flo stainless exhaust

Thoughts: It is disturbingly easy to break the tires loose. I can outrun Mustangs until physics realizes I'm driving a brick. I'm not sure why I would want more, except that more is often more fun. It also sounds very dramatic when I drive in tunnels, and I enjoy scaring little old ladies when I start it.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Interior
This is where I spend most of my time, and I'm used to driving slightly more expensive cars... So I'm a bit spoiled.
  • Blaupunkt San Francisco CD/iPod receiver plugged into factory Infinity amplifier & speakers
  • Wheelskins leather steering wheel cover
  • Invisible storage for my Benchmark maps, handgun, hatchet, Mag-lite, knife, and basic tools
  • Baofeng UV-5R FRS/Ham/FM/etc handheld dual band transceiver
  • TomTom GPS for on road and topo GPS apps on my old Android phone loaded with USGS topos for off-road stuff

Thoughts: I do love having an extended cab truck... Trying to figure out where to put the rifle out of sight. The Infinity speakers sound mighty good too, and I listen to everything from Zac Brown to the White Stripes to David Guetta. The Blaupunkt has an SD Card slot, so I just tossed a 16gb SD card full of MP3's in there.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Shell
Keeping it simple - needs to sleep two and store stuff. Spent $45 on wood and carpet and knocked this together, and tossed some tap light LED's on the ceiling:
2013-06-17_21-23-16_860.jpg

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
First shakedown trip:
Down was on CA-1, windy road with anywhere from 25-70mph stretches and lots of throttle position changes. Up was I-5. I literally set the cruise control at 70mph and hit the brakes once, when I had to pull off for steak at Harris Ranch. Averaged 18mpg for the entire trip combined. Not too shabby, but I know I can do better.

Today I installed 4-Pintle Ford Motorsports injectors (19lb). Terrified myself because the Dak ran like crap at first and wouldn't even idle. Then I remembered I had reset the computer. I drove (er... backfired) around the neighborhood a bit and it is almost completely cleared up now (12mi later). I have a stumble coming off idle if I open up the throttle too quickly, but otherwise all is well. I also noticed it is a LOT peppier. Some of that was certainly from replacing 150k original injectors, but whatever it is I am happy.

Next up - synthetic fluid in the diffs and the electric fan.
DSCN0151.JPG

A few more pictures from the trip because... well, I like pictures :)

Elephant Seals
DSCN0147.JPG

Morro Rock
DSCN0152.JPG

Pacific Ocean
P6261647.JPG

Photo taken by my truck :)
DSCN0168.JPG

Painted fender flares really make it look much cleaner
P6261650.JPG

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
First off-road trip...
Just got back from camping for four days in the Stanislaus National Forest, North of Yosemite. Also checked out some old mining towns in the Eastern Sierra area... Truck averaged 17mpg, with over 100 of the 500 miles in 4wd, a lot of it low range and nearly all of it 1st gear. Enough dust got into the engine compartment that my air filter is almost completely blocked now, but otherwise did great! Altitudes ranged from 33' above sea level to 11,000 feet ASL... It definitely was a bit less powerful up high :)
P7121742.JPG

P7131810.JPG

P7121746.JPG

P7131812.JPG

P7141824.JPG

eagle1

Observer
you could also bolt on a set of 5.9L heads it's the same block so they should bolt on easily, also a 5.9L intake manifold will fit

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
I've thought about the 5.9 option, but it's a bit more involved than just heads and I really don't need any of the horsepower I have already... my goal is to make the smaller engine as efficient as possible.

D45

Explorer
I had a 1993 Dodge Dakota 4x4.......loved that truck

Great camping and hunting truck

Went places that was way beyond to truck's capabilities and beat the snot out of it

Sold it with 125,000 miles on it to my dad's friend who drives it daily.....now at 195,000 miles

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
like said above, my cousin had a Dark Green 1993 Sport 4x4. it was a single cab short bed with the v8. that thing was so much fun! i would love to get my hands on one and rebuild it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior