Offthepathadventures.com Gen 3 build

offthepath

Adventurer
First outing with the new ome kit and winch. I love the old man emu lift! It rides great, really amazing how fast you can push the truck off road.

The ledges we got into made the extra height really nice. The following day was super muddy. Sticky clay muddy. I never got stuck but came very close and the winch made for some nice security.

One issue in the mud was the traction control would only work for about 1 min at a time before the alarm would go off and then it stopped working for about 30 sec. Driving several miles made for a lot of alarms!! I think a locker or limited slip is now on the list.

Last edited:

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
First outing with the new ome kit and winch. I love the old man emu lift! It rides great, really amazing how fast you can push the truck off road.

One issue in the mud was the traction control would only work for about 1 min at a time before the alarm would go off and then it stopped working for about 30 sec. Driving several miles made for a lot of alarms!! I think a locker or limited slip is now on the list.

I remember when I first got the new OME on the tracks!! The difference is amazing. Your rig is looking great!

Never been too keen on traction control myself...love the LSD in the rear...

MoabRefugee

Observer
Love the stealth mount!

As for the TCS v. "Hyblid LSD", I specifically sought an 01/02 for the R. Diff and it has not disappointed. I think everyone here has sung the praises of the Montero traction control, but ALL systems of this ilk can be momentum killers, and certainly they are tough on brakes. IMO all ABS/TCS systems are dance partners, and the more skilled that you are, the more your dance partner steps on your toes.

The slick road/snow performance of the Monty in 2wd with the diff is just sublime; very clear that these guys also designed the EVO.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Reference the traction control on the Gen 3.5 as mentioned here can this be overcome in 4wheel drive with turning off TC? Read something about that here on ExPo. May have been about G3's 2001-2002 with the other TC system?

MoabRefugee

Observer
Reference the traction control on the Gen 3.5 as mentioned here can this be overcome in 4wheel drive with turning off TC? Read something about that here on ExPo. May have been about G3's 2001-2002 with the other TC system?

To my knowledge, the US 01/02 were not available with Traction Control nor Stability Control. Certainly my '01 Limited w/H-LSD does not have anything other than ABS, and Llc disables the ABS. I have no experience with Gen 3.5's. To my line of thinking, a Diff/Defeatable TCS combo would be the cat's meow.

An ever-present option is installing a signal interupt switch to one of the wheel speed sensors. This tricks most vehicles into disabling ABS/TCS/Stability, as their processor views it as a failed sender. Flip the switch, presto! No electro nannies.
To re-enable wheel speed dependent features, turn the car off completely, flip the switch to restore the signal, start, and enjoy your factory goodies. This was the method used at the Bridgestone Winter Driving School for most student vehicles. The 4Runner's simply needed to have the center diff locked in order to disable ABS, though they still had defeat switches, as the locked diffs required a pretty deliberate hand on the ice.

No clue as to whether this would ply on Gen 3.5. I just pull the fuse in my Saab when it is time for shenanigans.

offthepath

Adventurer
I actually really like the traction control but I can see this as a major issue. For single obstacles it works really good.

Offroadmuch....

The traction control is always on. It's the stability control that can be turned off and goes off automatically in four low.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Now that you mention the name "stability control" I am wondering what the heck is that? I will be doing some web searching to learn more. Maybe even read my owner's manual. So if I put in a rear locker how would that work? Someone in a gen 3.5 must be running a locker...

arb098

Adventurer
Now that you mention the name "stability control" I am wondering what the heck is that? I will be doing some web searching to learn more. Maybe even read my owner's manual. So if I put in a rear locker how would that work? Someone in a gen 3.5 must be running a locker...

Did you find any more info on this?

Offroadmuch

Explorer
I have to admit that I did not do much looking on this subject. At the time we were having this discussion I was prepping for my Mojave Road trip so I kind of let it slip. As far as a locker and the factory traction control are concerned I can honestly say that for what I am doing I cannot imagine needing a locker or any other assistance with driving over rough terrain. So I guess I am going to let this go for now. If I had more spare money and time I would probably install lockers just because I like working on mechanical things. There was nothing on the Mojave Road that was even close to being a real problem. It is worth mentioning that I ran stock 265/70/16 street tires and just aired down to 18psi and drove slow choosing the easiest line I could find.

offthepath

Adventurer
Another great day in the Montero, above central city, colorado. Really enjoying the OME Lift!

20170602_131807_zpsce3pgxrk.jpg

20170602_131447_zpsyqooboyl.jpg

20170602_124451_zpsqk5k24sy.jpg

20170602_130636_zpsq2egkkkl.jpg

Im having lots of road noise from he AT3 tires. I have really liked how the tires perform, but man they are loud. Noise changes widely with different road surfaces. It seems they are getting worse. 15k on them now. Anyone else have this issue with these tires?

Also I get an odd vibration (audible, cannot feel it) when going from coasting to pushing the gas. As soon as you push the gas from coasting, there is about a 1 second, distinct change of pitch in vibration, then it goes back to normal. If it had u-joints I'd be sure its a u-joint. Most likely driveline related. Anyone have a guess what this could be?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne