Offthepathadventures.com Gen 3 build

offthepath

Adventurer
Thanks Dave, no first I've heard of that guy. That picture helps, although I'm not sure it would take much of an impact. It is a hard area to mount though so I'm sure it's better than nothing.

What was the pricing you guys got?

Coffeegoat, I'm in Denver too, if shipping is the same for multiple units maybe we can order together and split the shipping?

offthepath

Adventurer
Got to try the new sliders on Kingston Pass. Im glad I had them, but especially the skid plates. All the rocks seemed to be the perfect size to bang the **** out of the underside!!! Fun trip though. The Monty did great, but I am really looking forward to a few extra inches of lift. Im use to the F250 with a 4in and 35's, I have never had to worry about hitting the undercarriage!

IMG_0169_zpsv3ljpxha.jpg

IMG_0179_zps2qgywus2.jpg

IMG_0195_zpsa7gkzvpg.jpg

IMG_0201_zpsq0sm1bbq.jpg

IMG_0206_zpslrrh85au.jpg

zerodrift

Adventurer
Looks like you had a good time. The Monty does surprisingly well with this sort of terrain. Was there last week for the second time this season.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

offthepath

Adventurer
Finally got around to the timing belt. I gained no love for the Montero, that job sucked. What a pain in the ***. But its done and runs fine. Also did new plugs and wires.

One odd thing is the coolant was a nasty brown color, is that normal? I flushed it out with 6-7 gallons of distilled water before adding the new coolant.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
As I understand it you're supposed to use the red Zerex asian coolant (or similar). Mine was switched over to the green stuff, so when I was transitioning back I had a couple flushes of red-green that looked like a nasty brown. I would guess somebody mixed it at some point or another. I also ran one of those cleaners through mine, it seemed to help clean out the crud.

offthepath

Adventurer
I bet your right about the coolant color. It got green extended life this time around.

So far I have not driven it enough to say about the plugs and wires. Maybe idles a little smoother, but hard to say. I have a trip this weekend so Im hoping for a little better mileage. One thing for sure is the plugs in it looked pretty bad so I have no doubt it needed to be done.

Waiting on tax returns and it will be getting an OME Lift!

coffeegoat

Adventurer
I changed so many things and cleaned up so much crap it's hard to say what was what. My original plugs were not iridium like they were supposed to be (they were just platinum) and they were burnt pretty bad. But the lifters were also gunky, and the coolant was gunky, and the transmission fluid was gunky and on and on etc. Generally, it runs way better now, but it's hard to trace it to a specific thing. I've got shocks/struts and gear oil in the garage, when I get those done I'm done with maintenance for a while.. Maybe then I'll get around to actually finishing the tutorial. :coffee:

Oh, and I'm also switching to premium so the ECU is between settings, we'll see how it is when that's all shaken out.

I think my tax return is new kitchen cabinets this year so the new springs will have to wait.

offthepath

Adventurer
I changed so many things and cleaned up so much crap it's hard to say what was what. My original plugs were not iridium like they were supposed to be (they were just platinum) and they were burnt pretty bad. But the lifters were also gunky, and the coolant was gunky, and the transmission fluid was gunky and on and on etc. Generally, it runs way better now, but it's hard to trace it to a specific thing. I've got shocks/struts and gear oil in the garage, when I get those done I'm done with maintenance for a while.. Maybe then I'll get around to actually finishing the tutorial. :coffee:

Oh, and I'm also switching to premium so the ECU is between settings, we'll see how it is when that's all shaken out.

I think my tax return is new kitchen cabinets this year so the new springs will have to wait.

Its always something.......Mine had iridium plugs and if I had to guess I'd say they were OEM at 100k. I wanted to flush the brake fluid and PS fluid, but ran out of time. Still need to do those and the T-case and then everything should be fresh.

I have been playing with base, mid and premium gas. I really cant stand to pay the price for premium so I've been running mid and it does seem to get about 2mpg better than 85 gas, but its hard to really tell with so many things playing into MPGs. On average Ive been getting about 18-19 with all highway and 15-17 around town which I feel is pretty good.

Last edited:

offthepath

Adventurer
OME lift and winch installed!

I followed some of the other members designs and made a cradle for the winch.....

20170225_103701_zps6zy3lpen.jpg

Mocked up with cardboard pieces.....
20170224_154556_zpsakpowchw.jpg

20170225_120707_zpsotxbusoq.jpg

20170225_103814_zpsguxqovwk.jpg

Welded inplace.....

20170225_120716_zpsn7nbdehm.jpg

Winch mounded....

20170225_141107_zpsi2phdims.jpg

Final product. I wish I would have trimmed the bumper a little better, but I was getting in a hurry. That project was a full 2 days.

20170225_154443_zpsrra5ildy.jpg

20170225_154437_zpstxd1skuh.jpg

Overall I think it turned out good though. I'm not a huge fan of the roller fairlead, it seems way to bulky. I think Im going to look into doing a steel hawse fairlead.

Monstero

Adventurer
My that looks familiar .....lol great job. Mine has been used and abused and has held up fine. Looks good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior