Offthepathadventures.com Gen 3 build

offthepath

Adventurer
Not sure what this build will turn into, but hopefully some of this may provide info for other Gen 3 owners. Although I doubt it will be as cool as several of the builds I have seen on here, I want to make it into a reliable and capable 4x4 for moderate trails that still works as a DD for my wife.

Starting out is a 2003 Limited I picked up with 98k miles.

IMG_1744_zpsoaic568b.jpg

First up was larger tires......265/75 Cooper ATM's. Not a huge size up but about a 31.5/32in tire. I really wanted to go with 285's but was concerned over MPG and power in the mountains.

Coming from an F250 w/ a 4in lift and 35s the Montero seems so low to the ground I knew that skid plates and sliders needed to be the first mod (especially because it was missing the factory ones!).

The skids are made of 1/8in plate and the rear one uses 1in angle iron as reinforcement. This seems like a good compromise of weight and durability.

Front diff skid.....
IMG_1735_zpsyz5p415l.jpg

IMG_1736_zpsltqdv1r8.jpg

Transmission skid....
IMG_1739_zpsqe49dlmk.jpg

IMG_1740_zpsghbiqpuv.jpg

All installed...
IMG_1742_zpspskrrk1v.jpg

This will be a huge improvement and give some much needed protection. I may have to add some additional protection for the forward bolts, but I think it will be fine for now.

On the immediate list is a timing belt kit/general tune up and getting the sliders made.

A lift is just around the corner as well.

More to come......

Last edited:

offthepath

Adventurer
Well the first problem with the mods has already popped up. The skid plate over the transmission reflects a considerable amount of noise back up to the cabin.

Not sure what I'm going to do, anyone have luck with undercoatings to reduce noise?

offthepath

Adventurer
1st real 4x4 outing, really the longest trip after buying it in Houston come to think of it. We went up to the old military plane crash on Bunce School Rd, outside of Boulder Colorado. I use to ride my motorcycle up the road several years ago and I did not remember it being this hard.

Needles to say I am very impressed with the Montero it worked amazingly well for a stock 4x4. The running boards took some what of a beating, but I guess thats to be expected. I even have the metal to make the sliders!

IMG_1174_zpsfwcvgi30.jpg

IMG_1215_zpsyxci3sdl.jpg

IMG_1220_zpsszxhvaul.jpg

and because pictures never do trails justice here is what all the rigs we saw on the trail looked like in addition to side by sides.....

IMG_1209_zpsd7yd6fah.jpg

Tail section of the plane crash....

IMG_1194_zpsf5ykvtpy.jpg

Very happy with the montero!

Last edited:

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
That is a clean Gen. III!
Glad to see you're putting it to good use.

You'll get used to fellas in "trail built" rigs giving you the double take on any trail other than a graded fire road.

May your Montero serve you well!

offthepath

Adventurer
Thanks guys. One guy on the trail really gave me a glaring look. It seemed he thought I was 4x4ing my Rav4:smiley_drive:

For those that have made sliders, how did you attached them to the truck? I wanted to use the stock mounting points and was going to try using angle iron, but after this weekend I am contemplating cutting up the running boards and using the mounts from those. They seem pretty stout and I would have liked to sell the running boards but after dragging them over rocks I see them getting trashed regardless....

Thoughts or pictures of sliders mounts?

All-Terrain

No Road Required
I have late Gen 3 (2006) here in CO and live up around 7200ft --- I also have 265/75/16's - I don't think you'd like 33's, you're already down on power for such a big heavy truck even with the 3.8.

But... These trucks are awesome. They are fantastic in the winter, the traction control is amazing, and they are capable in the dirt and rocks. No regrets. I want to lift mine a little at some point soon.

FullMonte

Adventurer
Thanks guys. One guy on the trail really gave me a glaring look. It seemed he thought I was 4x4ing my Rav4:smiley_drive:

For those that have made sliders, how did you attached them to the truck? I wanted to use the stock mounting points and was going to try using angle iron, but after this weekend I am contemplating cutting up the running boards and using the mounts from those. They seem pretty stout and I would have liked to sell the running boards but after dragging them over rocks I see them getting trashed regardless....

Thoughts or pictures of sliders mounts?
Here's my setup, the fabricator used the original mounts, it did push up some of the paneling but I'm not complaining. Those sliders got me through the Rubicon and Fordyce. I hope that helps!
ca6b94101cdd9a6de7ea378746bc1610.jpg
b694eda37c33aea3a00951e0e64de1d4.jpg
33c45b9f0deff30b489ce777324f8fd6.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

offthepath

Adventurer
Here's my setup, the fabricator used the original mounts, it did push up some of the paneling but I'm not complaining. Those sliders got me through the Rubicon and Fordyce. I hope that helps!
ca6b94101cdd9a6de7ea378746bc1610.jpg
b694eda37c33aea3a00951e0e64de1d4.jpg
33c45b9f0deff30b489ce777324f8fd6.jpg

Thanks for the picture, are the arms that attach to the stock mounting points from the running boards? Looks like it with maybe some plate as reinforcement.......

Nice job running the Rubicon!

Last edited:

FullMonte

Adventurer
Thanks for the picture, are the arms that attach to the stock mounting points from the running boards? Looks like it with maybe some plate as reinforcement.......

Nice job running the Rubicon!
Thanks! And no, the skids and the arms were fabricated, he told me used the mounts from what I remember..I just don't believe the original arms will hold sliders in place..

nocensorbo

Observer
Glad to see someone else in a gen3. I am on the fence of selling mine and trying to find motivation to stick with it since I LOVE how smooth the ride is and know I wont find it elsewhere but am really wanting to get something I feel is more capable...so I am hoping people show me otherwise. Give me the confidence.

offthepath

Adventurer
Have you done any off road with it? I was very, very impressed with how well it did off road and that is stock with just slightly larger tires.

If making a truly built rig there are much better platforms than a monte, but comparing stock or mild modification I really think the Montero can do just as well as any other truck out there. Although I would still take a Land Cruiser over the Montero if the price was the same, there is no way you can justify 2-3x the cost for another vehicle with no real benefit. The engine and towing is the only caveat that I would see a real problem with the Montero.

Granted I dont have alot of miles yet under mine, but I have been around alot of vehicles and I dont see anything that would make the montero less capable or reliable than anything else. For a fully loaded, comfortable DD, family trip mobile, and weekend off roader all for around $5-7k, I dont know how you could do better.:smiley_drive:

Last edited:

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
This video of a diesel Pajero sold me...I'm not sure how much more capability anyone would realistically need. They seem to worship them in Australia. This is the camera car they use to film their off-road adventures, and they decided to showcase it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzz19KQNuIQ
The independent suspension one wheel lift I think is called "the Pajero wave..." In reading comments from the author, it just requires a little more care and skill to get the most out of the Pajero/Montero.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94