Offroad Trailer really worth it?

teknis20

Hi,

My wife and I are really looking into getting a teardrop trailer. I love the offroad versions, but they add quite a bit of a cost. Does anyone know if it's really that important? I plan on going offroad but not going down bumper bustin trails. Some teardrops on craigslist are decent but they don't have the offroad suspension, so I'm wondering if I really need to spring for it. Any opinions are welcome. Thanks!

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
Only you can answer this question. Personally, I would rather have the capability and not need it than need it and not have it.

bluejeep

just a guy
I guess your post didn't say to what you were comparing the teardrop. Are you considering it against another style of trailer, or a rooftop tent, or ground tent, or hotel?

Do you camp already? If so, is it tent or camper? Might play into the decision.

For me, I very much like a small trailer (Tentrax) because of the ease / quickness of setting up and breaking down that part of the campsite. It also allows me to explore offroad or just drive into town for supplies (or coffee and donuts) while leaving the camper at the campsite, versus closing up a rooftop tent or any other sleeping arrangement that involves the vehicle itself as an integral piece.

I am not yet into requiring an internal toilet / shower and kitchen arrangement - maybe sometime in the future that will bring me to getting a larger trailer.

Also, I am off the ground so less worry about creepy crawly things or clearing a spot smooth for the tent floor.

And the storage room is very nice (less of an issue since this past July when I sold the TJ and purchased an LJ)

Of course your preference and that of your wife is most important (by that I mean really only your wife's preference!)

Remember, any decision you make is not permanent and brings with it opportunities to learn what you like / don't like.

Good luck, hope you have many enjoyable adventures!

teknis20

Hey thanks for the replies.

We currently just tent camp, which is fine but we have grown tired of sleeping on the ground. We also want to winter camp, so an enclosed small trailer seems to be our best choice all things considered.

These little teardrop trailers seem to have grown in popularity and a lot of companies are building them these days. They get quite expensive and they're a lot of options to choose from. Getting offroad suspension (which I guess is an added leafspring and strut and larger tires) adds a bit of cost from the very beginning. Were thinking about having one built and getting something we really like, but it's also tempting to pickup a cheaper used unit. It's one of those things I guess a lot of people don't have a ton of experience with (hauling a custom teardrop trailer down semi offroad trails.) I'm trying to figure out whats really important as far as features go. Were not really the type to get every bell and whistle, but instead we are more the type that looks for core value and functionality.

I think factoid is right, better to have it than not to. I was mostly trying to see if people would say "Nah it's all for show, I've taken my small trailer through hell and no problem" or "Yes definitely get it, I've blasted my trailer over a few things and regret it."

Thanks for replies!

teknis20

That's exactly the kinda thing I'm lookin for eatsleepwoof, I appreciate it. I had not found this company yet. I will look into it! First company I've ever seen with a 6x8 dimension. Most all others do 4x8 or 5x8, but never 6 that I've seen.

downhill

Adventurer
I can add a couple of things. I have dragged a Scamp trailer down a lot of rough roads. It was 2500 pounds with a 3500 pound torsion axle. That is about as good a set-up as you can find in a conventional trailer. Even with the independent action of the torsion axle, one trip down a rough road and the inside looked like it had been rolled. Everything that was not tied down was in the floor in one big heap. I would not consider a trailer for offroad use unless it had a very good suspension with shocks, and tires big enough to air down. Tires are an important part of any suspension.

Another aspect to consider is loading. Unless you get an offroad trailer with axles and suspension that can handle the stress, I would keep the trailer very lightly loaded. this will make the bouncing even worse, but may save you a broken spring or axle in the middle of nowhere.

Last thing is camper construction. Most RVs built for typical weekend camper use will not hold up to offroad use. They will fall apart. My Scamp did OK since it had a full frame, relatively heavy axle, and a sturdy fiberglass shell.

chrisdors

That's exactly the kinda thing I'm lookin for eatsleepwoof, I appreciate it. I had not found this company yet. I will look into it! First company I've ever seen with a 6x8 dimension. Most all others do 4x8 or 5x8, but never 6 that I've seen.

The Runaway Venturist 6x8 is an awesome setup... I tow a 4x8 behind my 2dr Wrangler.

JohannThor

Hey thanks for the replies.

We currently just tent camp, which is fine but we have grown tired of sleeping on the ground. We also want to winter camp, so an enclosed small trailer seems to be our best choice all things considered.

These little teardrop trailers seem to have grown in popularity and a lot of companies are building them these days. They get quite expensive and they're a lot of options to choose from. Getting offroad suspension (which I guess is an added leafspring and strut and larger tires) adds a bit of cost from the very beginning. Were thinking about having one built and getting something we really like, but it's also tempting to pickup a cheaper used unit. It's one of those things I guess a lot of people don't have a ton of experience with (hauling a custom teardrop trailer down semi offroad trails.) I'm trying to figure out whats really important as far as features go. Were not really the type to get every bell and whistle, but instead we are more the type that looks for core value and functionality.

I think factoid is right, better to have it than not to. I was mostly trying to see if people would say "Nah it's all for show, I've taken my small trailer through hell and no problem" or "Yes definitely get it, I've blasted my trailer over a few things and regret it."

Thanks for replies!
I have an A-Liner Expedition of road with air ride suspension and camp all year around and I live in Iceland, being able to fold down your camper when driving in high wind is to me a big +

Etoimos

Observer
I was really impressed with the Nuthouse Industry line of products. After talking with the company engineer for about 45mins, it was clear they really put some thought in the build and details of their products. It is also nice that you can order their trailers anywhere from the basic "box" to the fully loaded version, whatever fits your needs. They build each one from ground up once a customer orders it... not partial trailers sitting around waiting to be finished once an order is received.

I’m actually going to have them quote me for a trailer that is a mix between their Hickory and Peanut models. I want the footprint of the Hickory but the height of the Peanut. That will allow me to add their side boxes (one with the built in Partner stove) and the motorized tent rack lift. Other than then the stove and rack lift, it'll be just the boxes so I can outfit it to my personal needs as I need. I love to modify things and this is a great platform for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles