offroad RV project !

Shocker

VanDOOM!
Are you completely stuck on the Chevy? I think the Ford has a better chassis than the unit type on the GM's.

1stDeuce

Explorer
To each his own, but I have a truck camper and a Jeep, and for any sort of real "offroad" work, I'm in the Jeep. With cabinets full of stuff, and 9000lbs of truck/camper, it just isn't fun running really rough trails with the truck. I think it would be fine for trips to baja, or exploring the desert in Utah, but if the trail gets crawley at all, I'm no longer interested in taking the truck down it for "fun". I'll suffer through it to get to a good campsite, but that's about it. If you think you really want to do serious stuff in your camper rig, then a van or suburban seems like a good way to go, but then you're pretty much stuck to running wide open trials. As soon as they get tight and technical, it becomes un-fun again.

If you're watching for vans, Quigly converted quite a number of Chevy/GMC vans to 4wd using the front end parts from a 2500 chevy truck. I've spent some time under the front and it's very well done. But they're IFS, which limits the offroad ability compared to solid axle. On the plus side, they drive very nice, like a stock van. There are lots of Ford vans out there with solid front axles. They have two advantages over the GM van, one is the solid axle working better when the going gets really rough, and two is the wheelbase being shorter. (Ford runs a longer rear overhang than GM on the longest van.) If you like having a "real frame", then that's a 3rd advantage, but the Unibody construction of the GM van is plenty strong. I've not heard of any issues with it, and it does keep the weight down.

Put some thought into what you really want to do with it, and the make the best choice you can and see what you learn!! I think sometimes there is a lot of fun in learning things for yourself vs. doing what worked best for others... :)

olly hondro

mad scientist
I recall that the Suburban production run '69 thru '72 was a 3 door configuration available with a high top for use as an ambulance. Two doors on the passenger side but only one on the driver side.
3 door burb.jpg

D

Deleted member 9101

My choice would be a 4x4 Suburban. In my mind it's easier and more practical to make it a camper than to make a camper/box truck into a 4x4

1stDeuce

Explorer
1stDeuce,
Do you have brakes on the Jeep when flat towing? If so, what is your set up?

No, I don't. I was reading "the law" a while ago, and noticed that NM is one of only a few states to say that they are required on flat towed vehicles, too. I'd love to have the extra brakes, but I don't flat tow often enough to justify $1000+ and goofy installation of an aftermarket brake units. I've been giving some thought to adapting a hydraulic brake unit from a trailer to actuate just the rear brakes, but they're pretty pricy too. Next up is using some sort of small pressure actuator that would read in voltage from the brake controller and send a proportional pressure the the brake circuit. (Which is exactly how the hydraulic trailer units work.) Would just actuate rear brakes for simplicity, but that would be a lot better than nothing, and meet legal requirements.

Seems like a product that would sell, but only for Jeeps and trucks. Most cars are cross plumbed, so either circuit does one front brake and one rear. Don't think that would work out so well...

In the meantime, I just keep a good watch out. I've had to stand on the brakes a few times, and with the camper in the truck, it'll shut down pretty quickly when I need it to.

And I'd just like to say that three door 'burbs are AWESOME!! (Slight correction on Olly Hondro's post, all 67-72 suburbans were 3-door units.)

Last edited:

dar395

Adventurer
mohave 104.JPG (Than as we travel in our van the real deal pulls in next to us, and than we had a new dream, back to the real world)
And I'd just like to say that three door 'burbs are AWESOME!! (Slight correction on Olly Hondro's post, all 67-72 suburbans were 3-door units.)
Your correct on this, I'm on my second one a nice 1971 rust free from my friends over on Craigslist.

0n this subject, I've been a Suburban user for many years and at the current time sporting a 99 and 94 both 1/2 tons and utility models, simple and great travelers. This past year was our first try at a Van, more as a camper and road travel. We clocked just over 9,400 miles on the van and 27 nights of stay. The travel was a wide range of styles, Florida Pan Handle with a little of the Gold Coast of AL tossed in, than out to the east coast on the sand at Ocean City Maryland lots of back roads and two lanes, than in November Mohave out of Yuma driving back in to Garfield Range and BLM up along the river. I was impressedmohave 11 531.JPG that I was able to go quite far out in the back country of Mohave with just 2 wd, fuel mileage running just over 15 mpg, For now I'll always have a burb in my herd, but this being our first travels in the van we will also have one of them also. My daily driver is a Ford Sport Trac. I think with the jeep as a back up I'd jump the fence and try a van. Lots of 2wd Vans are out deep in Mohave ours has a winch on the front, 4wd if you feel the need, so far we've just towed a Trail Blazer back on to a trail.

Van's and Burb's are also both great to stop and have a cold one!

In our case we'd travel at lower cost; but we get to go more. My thought's.

Last edited:

BigDan

Observer
Well , the project has taken a new direction .....
I was offered a 1988 Glendale Éconoline E-250 camper ....
This gem has 48,000 miles , EFI 351W w/ C6 3 speed auto tranny ...

the body is absolutely flawless ,and I like the old school look of it !

It has , sink, stove, fridge , toilet ......2 revolving front seats

Owner died in december , wife asks me if I want it ! welllll..........she made me a price , i coulndt refuse !

looking at possibilities of converting to 4x4 & diesel and overdrive ......

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

Last edited:

BigDan

Observer
I plan to use all the components from a F-250 4x4 to convert my van !

any year recommended ?

someone knows which year they started using disc brakes at the back ?
Unless it `s easy to convert !

thanks

Dan

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I plan to use all the components from a F-250 4x4 to convert my van !

any year recommended ?

someone knows which year they started using disc brakes at the back ?
Unless it `s easy to convert !

thanks

Dan

I'm no expert but be aware; when they switched to rear discs on the trucks they changed to the metric wheel bolt pattern. The vans kept the 8x6.5 pattern.

sticeindustries

I AM JUST GETTING TO POST ABOUT MY UPCOMING BUILDS. IVE BEEN WATCHING THE AMBULANCE SCENE FOR A FEW MONTHS AND FINALLY BIT THE BULLET. IM BUILDING 3 RIGHT NOW.
2002 F350 TYPE 1 WITH 7.3L, AUTO TRANS, DIVORCED TRANS, DANA 60, 9 INCH BDS AND 37 INCH MILITARY TIRES, 2 OF THESE AND A 98 TYPE II E250 RAISED ROOF.

I PLAN TO CONVERT ALL 3 AND SELL TWO. I JUST CANT GET PAST DIESEL POWER, AND KNOW TOO MUCH ABOUT THE LACKING 6.5L MOTORS TO GO THAT ROUTE.

MY THOUGHTS ARE THE AMBULANCE ROUTE. 2 OF MINE WILL BE FOR SALE AS SOON AS WE CONVERT THEM. THEY WILL BE READY TO BUILD INTO YOUR DREAM RIG

burt

Observer
you want the components from an f350 not an f250 as far as the front is concerned. The high pinion king pin d60 is the best but the ball joint ones are real good too. King pin stopped in 91 and 92 to 97 ball joint 60s should bolt up easy and be great. if you are going simple leaf sprung put the shackle in the back of the front springs and use springs of a 99-03 super duty. v or x code. v are the plushest, x a little firmer and a little higher lift. ive never done a 4x4 conversion on a van i just know the trucks very well fwiw. I agree that is a very good looking van and a sweet platform for a build

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles