OffRoad Pop Up Vs. Axle Switch

Hello, wife and I just had a kid and looking to get our first trailer. We like to get a bit deep, so am trying to find the best match for our rather low budget. I found a 2007 Starcraft RT10 for 5,800. But its a tad long, and pretty heavy. I'm wondering if that extra weight is all in the frame, and thus would handle going down forest roads better? Or if I am better off finding a lighter, shorter, cheaper pup, and putting the axle over the springs and getting bigger tires put on it to get my clearance that way? In my mind, shorter and lighter is better if the clearance is the same. But i know little about pups at this point, not sure how much better the build on the RT10 is, if the sturdiness makes up for its extra weight. Anyway, any direction would be appreciated!

ExCabSwap

How are you planning on using the trailer? Pavement to your desired location? Fire roads? Mild trails?

What kind of vehicles would you be using to pull the trailer?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

I have a Tacoma TRD Offroad. We live in the city, so I would take highways up to the mountains, but definitely hoping to get down some fire roads at the least, if not mild trails. But yes mild trails are definitely the goal, we spend the dry season up in the mountains of southern idaho, and the winter out in the desert to the south. So we see some pretty varied and rough terrain, and while i realize thats going to take a hit, I'd like to keep that alive as much as possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94