Offroad light mounting positions?

Mikedoubleu

I couldn't really find anything on this.
It's probably a really simple answer, I'd just like to hear some thoughts on it.

I recently purchased a 20" led light bar in spot.

I was just curious about the pros and cons of mounting as high as possible or as low as possible and why.

Here's the light
196E37A1-F985-4146-85CF-927D71B5B03A-88353-0000203F3D54614E.jpg

I already have some pretty good side lighting.
EA3F7EE4-CB3D-4734-BBD6-C7BBC5076F50-21841-000018814285BDC0.jpg

And rear.
38DB8FC3-4788-42C6-A324-9A2F888A1583-21841-000018812EEAEBE0.jpg

Here's the truck.
65ae6cf1.jpg

I was thinking of mounting that new 20" light bar on the upper portion of the camper overhang but looking at the mounts it's not going to allow me to mount it on that angle. So I thought I would mount it on the flat of the roof of the camper.
I'm not too worried about low branches or anything as I don't take the truck that deep into the bush.
I figured up high will also make it a real pain steal.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
What's the use of the light to the front? Driving, parked lighting up the camp?

Take a pic from behind the light showing the area lighted and at either side, that should show the light pattern.

Will it mount under the overhang above the cab, it would be hard to steal there.

Before mounting lights I'd have someone hold them at different positions and sit in the drivers seat to see the effects and figure out how to attach them based on the performance. Check with headlights on and off as well to see the difference.

Sawing 30 degrees I assume is the horizontal angle, think about glare produced for the driver, reflective weather conditions.

High up is not always the best position, depends on the light pattern thrown and use.

Just lighting up a camp or general work light, they work better above eye level, otherwise you're looking into a blinding light walking toward the vehicle. For that I used a florescent with a remote switch, very handy when it was time for lights out. Good to pull stunts on others too.

I kinda snicker when I see big lights set on the roof just above the driver's front, in poor weather, rain, snow and fog it reflects right back at you, in such conditions lower positioned lighting is better with good pencil beams, they look cool but may not be that functional.

I also hook up driving lights to the headlight as required by law, but a separate switch allows the use with high beams or alone if off road. :)

Mikedoubleu

Thanks for the reply.

The light will be used just for back road driving, not for parked lighting, I have that covered. I don't really need extra light I just like it. :p

I have a pair or rigid dually d2's that will probably get mounted in the grill of the truck also, I just haven't decided yet.

I'll be hooking this light bar up to the high beam switch in the truck, to be able to quickly shut it off for oncoming trail goers. It will also have a second switch to deactivate it on public roads.

I have some heavy duty magnets that I will temporarily mount the light bar on so I can try, cab mount, hood mount, and bumper mount.

I'm still primarily leaning towards camper mount for theft reasons while in town.

bdog1

Adventurer
Mounting at height helps with uneven terrain. Less shadows. (But your not traveling at speed.) As already stated glare is a big issue. Out front is the most practical for vision and installation.
My 2c.

summerprophet

Adventurer
Light positioning:

As low as possible is better for driving in fog, snow and incliment weather. Position is actually far more important than type or lens color when it comes to fog (except for perhaps narrow pencil beams).

As high as possible is better for non-driving situations. Winching work, accident assistance, hanging out around camp.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
My auxiliary lighting is to help me see the terrain when off-roading at night - period. The stock lighting is enough for the city/street.

With that in mind, the only option is mounting as high as possible. The lower the light source, the longer the shadows cast from rocks/etc on the trail, and you will not be able to discern between a shadow or a 3-foot hole in the ground. (Think of the way a person's cshadow is cast with the sun on top of you, versus the sun behind you).

I've mounted on the roof and on the hood, and I'm not sure what people mean by getting "glare." From the driver's side, I've never gotten any glare from mounting on the roof or the hood; as far as other traffic is concerned, you really shouldn't be driving around with an LED light bar on in traffic anyway. It's intended for off-road use. Even when off-roading in a convoy, I would turn my brightest forward-facing lights off. Only the lead vehicle is running full power lighting.

bob91yj

Resident **************
I was concerned about glare through my sunroof, turns out that's a non issue. I do get some glare off of my mirrors of all things.

fiestaislandculpvalley066.jpg

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Nice truck, I have a 20" LED with a combo and I have it mounted on the front bumper low enough to give me all the light I need for dark desert driving and I am very please with the results!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles