Offroad Capable Mainstream Trailer???

unToad

Girlfriend and I are looking for a full-featured trailer, something like an R-Pod that we can tow behind our 2015 4runner trail. Reading here has squashed any perception that any of the large manufacturers actually create a capable offroad trailer but I'm wondering if anyone has any idea of how the readily available trailers stack up? We need a trailer with clearance and that won't rattle/twist apart going down BLM or Forest Service roads. Not attempting any rock crawling with trailer attached. We've been looking at:
Jayco Jay flight Baja or similar starcraft extreme
R-pod Hood River edition
forest river no boundaries 19.5
Rockwood Geo pro

Does anyone know if any of these trailers have significant differences related to suspension capability or framing that should be considered? Is wood or aluminum frame desired? I've seen suggestions that consumers need to look at the framing quality more than wood vs aluminum but I'm not sure how that's done without visiting a factory.
Any other trailers that you know of that we could look into? I've seen several suggestions but many exceed our 5000lb tow limit.
Thanks!

ottsville

Observer
I owned an RPod. The Hood River edition and the standard edition are built exactly the same with the differences being risers come standard on the HRE and it comes with a different tire/wheel combo. Build quality is low.

Forest River builds both the NOBO series and the RPod. I doubt the quality is on the NOBO is much, if any, better than the Rpod. There is a thread here about them and may be others in this forum.

There are often videos and photos online to see how trailers are built. Sometimes owner group forums have info on build and you can often see what common issues and complaints are happening on owner forums.

The RV industry is crazy right now - campers are selling like mad, and manufacturers are slamming them together. I saw a piece on CNN that the camper industry in Elkhart, IN where most manufacturers are has 9000 empty jobs they are trying to fill. Corners are being cut and quality suffers. Go to a dealer, crawl over, around and through some campers on their lot. Shine a flashlight in every corner, look closely at everything....you'll see screws laying in corners, sawdust in lights, screws that miss backing strips, gaps in trim.

Until you get into some of the manufacturers regularly discussed here, you are going to find those issues and probably not find something that will hold up to long distances on forest service roads.

This is a problem here in the states as camper manufacturers focus more about building campers for either the glamping crowd or the family of 4 with 2 dogs and a cat that want to just go hang out at commercial campgrounds. Most of our parks or commercial campgrounds are serviced by paved roads. I am sure you have noticed that U.S. manufacturers no matter who made them, all have similar floor plans, the trim level and interior materials change. Just like if they have all organized and set standards as to what a camper should look like and include. Whatever they can make quickly and cheap but the average buyer will only use it a few times and then it will sit parked.

Even the trailers that say off road are built just like any other camper with maybe a suspension upgrade of maybe the shocks or tires.
Here is a nice 4 season well built camper that tries to focus on possible off road use but I have my doubts. After a couple of years traveling down roads like you describe, I suspect the camper would be worn out.
http://outdoorsrvmfg.com/

The actual offroad camper buying community is a small niche crowd. There is no profit for large camper manufacturers to focus on. Other than importing one from Australia, New Zealand, or South Africa, where camping is all mostly off road, we are limited to having a camper custom built.

One Australian camper manufacturer has taken a unique step in the U.S. market. Black Series Camper is importing their campers partially built with electrical, plumbing, and interior finished in California. These are highly rugged, true offroad centered designed. They trust their structure so well they offer a 5 year warranty. One of the reasons they are imported partially finished is because of the different electrical and plumbing standards between the countries.

U.S. website
https://www.blackseriescamper.com/index.html
Australian
http://blackseriescampertrailers.com.au/

Once you have located a true offroad capable self contained camper, you are going to notice another problem, weight. Rugged and sturdy construction comes at a price not just dollar wise, but additional weight.
The Black Series 12 and 15 foot campers weigh 1000 pounds more than your capabilities.

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes, getting heavy-duty strong for off-road AND light weight will require custom made, or even better DIY since build quality standards are so low and pricing crazy high.

Or look at importing as was mentioned.

unToad

Lots of good info. We would definitely be willing to sacrifice weight and use our truck to tow a heavier trailer if necessary. I know the comment about the overlanding crowd being too small for major manufacturers to focus on is correct. But everyone I know is an avid rock climber - if they don't go the van route they are looking for a trailer they can take off road every weekend. Not a week at KOA once or twice a year! :)
I saw the 'Black Series' trailers at Overland Expo West a couple weeks ago. Definitely looked like an impressive unit . . . with a matching pricetag. I need to look at them more closely though. Appreciate all the suggestions.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Too often the added weight for durability, just makes them less durable. We've come full circle, some of the lightweight trailers, are stronger than the heavy trailers. Bizzaro world continues.

Just stick to better built, little trailers. Beef them where they need it, sell it when it gets old. They can handle rare, mild, gentle, off road fine. Just take it easy.

I just looked at a slide-in pop-up camper. I fainted when I saw it's $28,000 tag. It's a $8000 product at best, with a $20,000 expo sticker.

bearman512

Adventurer
Starcraft RT10 is what I recommend. I bought a new 2008 and abused it for 4 years. I had to only check the fastening screws for the aluminum diamond plate covers. The sink drain would loosen up once in a while and I would take it up trails with Basketball size rocks. They come with shocks and 245x15LT tires. The primary frame is 2x6 steel not C- Channel.
XbHR-rMYUCdyY7YpFLGFlJ6u4g7W6ObYPMw1rc_RxNXNzouWbyG-dc5QaUHWL2MPJmT43fzaOyeKEsLfYo-ixW73wvDlkw1giqReLDyE-v1tEqce4gHOoZd3PJVF1FJDd_AYaobPHqG4dy-1i9P-1fO7QEYPvJJkjSTfvJzm-CKupKe_ME78TGEQN4FZJ1RIykOtSuO8-tn8IDCWwlvCilN_tsccWxU4X0MXSAiwwQ5yUyDHSvxHtWV-jv4gfn_p6E6tBRoOo74SttECJ0qd4REHbisq9zkraAZbv-LwGDutrZ36BxwDpnMzSX1Ou1-I8puZ-bGsOhzZxKBuBVTAfB5MeCx_3BeN5VQOefUNod03mTExgHO40W11sEa1SSiUWHAbgmyAbVWJEJvaf_cSF_UfbFp5kONoFFuFUPGgh0ZI_5WyE5gAf8nPVUazSAk8yQX8kVrjGtkFOZCzBl0LivtRGkyVAVreO7tcFBr-iU8SRa7HwKyhqGP-XBePFdRbuiDXnPGrheUr8G5rDJXBJhVSflxlDdkZ5be2UoUFsQlQ6MWt27q0QPKD0MWnSHAe7ci7DCIq0XwBIf8mxOSqB4NJ7Z8uuZRSdx1tC8g=w1224-h918-no

Last edited:

bearman512

Adventurer
Lower air pressure makes a major difference.
As soon as I would hit the dirt all tires would be aired down to a 20lb max psi.
5510099704_6674867085_z.jpg

Yes Black Series does have a nice price tag too it. I guess @Buliwyf would have a stroke when he sees the $60K plus for the HQ19. Yes it is a luxury camper that compares to Kendron, Lotus, and others. Australians take their caravan camping seriously. They want to enjoy some of the luxuries of home, but want a camper they can go anywhere with. Something that is going to last for years rather than a U.S. model that will only handle a couple of years with full time use. A camper like the Black Series you could take out full time in the middle of nowhere and trust that it is not going to fall apart from just living out of it.

One thing you will find out about Australian campers/caravans is that the camper builders do not build the chassis. The chassis are a proven designed that are contract built by other company. That is why the chassis look similar with A arm suspension but some may use coil springs while other chose to go with air bags. Compared an off road Australian caravan chassis to a U.S. made chassis. You will see the Australian chassis to more rigid but made of lighter materials like Aluminum or stamped frame rail rather than structural steels. By using a rigid chassis you eliminate the twisting torque placed on the cabin box itself. No warped walls, buckled floors, or cabinets falling apart.

The wife and I have had several conversations about saying to hell with it all let's buy something nice and just go wherever whenever for as long as we want. No permanent residence to speak of. There is nothing offered on the U. S. market till recently that would accommodate living like that. Who needs a house when you can tow it behind your vehicle? It is either invest that money into a final home or do something we enjoy. So what if it isn't worth as much as we paid for it when we are dead. We aren't going to care. And if we have a home someone is going to get upset because they weren't left the home instead of having to sell it so the value can be split equally. I went thru that with siblings and I am not going to put our children thu that.

john61ct

Adventurer
For heavy-duty loads on ST tires, airing down can destroy the walls.

So if you want to air down, stick to lighter loads and/or LT tires.

jonnyquest

Adventurer
I know you specified a full feature trailer. Something I have looked at and hope to buy in a year or so is a Jumping Jack Black Out 6x8. It's a pop up tent not a full feature trailer. But it's totally off-road capable with a low weight. The tent sets up quickly and can sleep four without crowding. All four could easily sit at the table inside out of bad weather or at night. It's still a tent but looks very comfortable. People own these things for decades and they're still in great shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles