Offroad Atlas app with MVUM trails & more

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Hey guys and gals,

Just an fyi I hope is helpful to you all.
my apologies up front if this has already been covered,

I found a really cool off road mapping app, that has the MVUMs, and a bunch of other stuff built in. He is also working on adding more to this.
it's 99 cents, so not expensive to try. I'm on Android, and loaded it from the Play Store.

Found it while on Wrangler Forum. I think it works on both Android and i-phone.
I used it as a map source for BCN, in the Stanislaus NF, and it was pretty great.
Obviously the only way to know for sure if a specific trail is open to OHV is to contact the appropriate ranger station, but this seems like a great planning/trip tool.

Here is a link to forum where I first heard of it.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/motor-vehicle-use-maps-for-android-1708218.html

My only direct interest is that I hope he is successful, as it is really useful. Hope it is as useful for you too. :beer:

vdeal

Observer
Well, downloaded the IOS version and no National Forest MVUMs for WV even though they exist online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
I'm not sure what his source of data is, since I've had limited success using this app as well. The MVUM system will be great once we can get it accurately displayed though :)

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I'm not sure what his source of data is, since I've had limited success using this app as well.

A little digging and I was able to come up with the source data. It's all public domain I think. Knowing it exists helps. I didn't realize GIS for the MVUM system as a whole was out there, I've only had access to individual park up till now.

You might be able to view it here, I compiled what I found in ArcGIS Online:

http://arcg.is/1teYGfZ

1Louder

Explorer
Well, downloaded the IOS version and no National Forest MVUMs for WV even though they exist online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What iOS version? The author of this app has not created an iOS version. Are you talking about Avenza Free PDF Maps?

Last edited:

1Louder

Explorer
1Louder,

Maybe a little search would help. Here you go - Offroad Atlas for IOS

Released 3 weeks ago.

In my best Steve Martin voice. "Well excuuuussssseeeeee me!" :)

Based on the linked thread it said there were no plans for an iOS version. And when you go to the web site for the app there is no mention of the iOS version......

vdeal

Observer
1Louder,

Sorry, didn't mean to come across that way. BTW, I found out about the IOS version on a blog by the author I believe. Still pretty useless without the WV MVUMs for me. I don't think the VA are on it either.

1Louder

Explorer
1Louder,

Sorry, didn't mean to come across that way. BTW, I found out about the IOS version on a blog by the author I believe. Still pretty useless without the WV MVUMs for me. I don't think the VA are on it either.

No worries thus the smily face. I downloaded the app. Not for me. It doesn't seem very user friendly but I am sure it could improve over time. I'm a Gaia user and use Free PDF/Avenza for all of the MVUM. It works very well for that purpose. Yes you have to search to see which national forests have UVUM but once downloaded they work great.

vdeal

Observer
I really like Gaia also. Hadn't thought of using Avenza for the MVUMs. I'll give it a try but hope he gets the app working better.

vdeal

Observer
I now found where the IOS version was announced - their Facebook site. Down a few entries at this point.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Might drop him a PM on Wrangler Forum and see if WV, or VA is on his list to do anytime soon.
I am happy with how it worked for Stanislaus NF, and just downloaded the whole Eldorado NF to try next month.
I had not been able to find MVUM maps that would work with BCN, so was happy to see his app.

mk1jeep

Cartographer
Hello everyone, I am the creator of OFFROAD ATLAS. Thanks for all the interest!

I just put out some BIG updates to the coverage for the Android version on Sunday. The iOS version should see the same updates hopefully this weekend (it may be early next week though). You can try the demo of it at ts1.dynamic.ms/app/offroadatlas.html

It takes my coverage of WV (and several other areas) from what I would consider 'poor' to what I would consider 'moderate'. I still don't have the MVUM data for a lot of that area, but I do have much more data on what were labeled 'historic roads' previously (open vs closed, paved vs unmaintained, etc). Their should also be download buttons for those areas (if there wasn't before). I do also plan on having any and all PDF MVUMs listed/accessible through the app. I think I have a more comprehensive list than anywhere else now, but it can only get better.

The map is a compilation of mostly public domain government data from many many sources.
I am limited by the data I am able to source, but I hope to continually improve the coverage. As more forest service's publish their MVUM in the centralized database I will be able to pull that in too. I will be able to continue to improve coverage on my own by sourcing different data, but more forest services publishing the MVUM data centrally is what is really needed.

This has been a personal project so I am juggling many priorities (it is embarassing I don't even mention the iOS version on my website - but I am building a whole new website now).

"Not for me. It doesn't seem very user friendly but I am sure it could improve over time."
I would be very interested if you had any specific things you would like to see improved. I am trying to improve it at a rapid pace.

If any one ever has any questions the Facebook page is probably the best way to reach me quickly.

Thanks again everyone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne