Offline GPS maps and navigation for iPad Mini and Amazon Fire 8

gps4

I am planning a trip from Vicksburg, MS to Ouray, then over to Moab and back to MS.

I'd like to have offline gps map capability. I havean old iPad mini and an Amzon Fire 8 i'd like to set up to down load maps that can be used with no cell or wifi service.

Can anyone help me with understanding the easiest and least expensive way to get this set up?

Thanks in advance.

outback97

Adventurer
Is your ipad mini a cellular model? Or wifi only? If it's cellular, you should have a GPS built in. If not, you'll need an external GPS device.

Not familiar with the Amazon Fire but I don't think that has GPS built in.

outback97

Adventurer
I am not sure how well it will work with the older hardware that you have, but if that's the case you would need to purchase an external bluetooth GPS. For a low budget solution I tried using Oruxmaps, and then later Gaia GPS, with an older Nexus 7 tablet that I had, and it sort of worked, but I have been much happier after getting a used ipad mini 4th gen to run Gaia GPS.

If you are set on using what you already have, maybe someone can suggest a good external GPS that will work with one of your tablets.

moose545

Dual makes a GPS antennae that might work, I think it's Bluetooth enabled and doesn't require you to hardwire it, there are others too on Amazon and such, definitely ask and research the different models and read the reviews. I just bought a Garmin InReach mini and returned it for the Garmin InReach Explorer+ which has the SOS function like the mini, but is a full fledged standalone GPS unit with weather info, built-in base maps and topo maps just as a backup and piece of mind for the small price difference between the 2 units. The unit is Bluetooth enabled and should sync to your iPad or maybe the Fire, that I'm not sure on. There are some apps on the App Store for Apple that offers maps offline, such as Maps.Me, Topo, Public Lands, etc. Just download everything and ring them out!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
What do you need the maps to accomplish? Avenza and Gaia are your two most obvious iOS apps. For Colorado get the COTREX app, which is very useful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles