Official thread - Maya Rally Registration Registration Details and Latest Updates

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I had to get special permission before I could even apply for my vehicle permit..seems being an Australia requires additional paperwork... came straight back approved....last time I went through mexico I think I did it at the ferry terminal and took all of 5 minutes..

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Everything is moving along fine....except for one part - the final party! I still need to confirm the location.

I am having challenges communicating with my local contact - he told me he has 3 great options but I have not been able to confirm anything yet, so I want to start looking at Plan B.

At first I was going to go myself over there but we just don't have the budget for that.

So if you have suggestions about a place near Bacalar/Cancun/Belize please let me know. I will be doing more research this week and start contacting directly some sites there.

Enrique Vega

the good news just keeps coming...

:wings:

In addition to a professional photographer, we now have a professional cinematographer on board too.

Enrique is leaving (selling) his home in NC and all of his possessions to embark on a journey that will take him all the way to South America. He will be leading the videography portion of this event and will bring his equipment with him (sounds, lights, etc).

No doubt that we will have a lot of great footage to share and it should make for a very entertaining documentary! I will give Enrique the email of each participants so he can contact you and see what equipment people brings, and who want to share footage with him. I think we already have a couple teams with GoPro so that's pretty awesome - having some aerial footage would alse be great!

I am totally on board with the 2012 Maya End of World Rally! Really, REALLY excited about being involved and documenting this event. As Christian said, I am selling my home which I lived in for over 30 years at the end of the month and will then have a couple of weeks to get my rig ready before the journey begins.

I want to apologize for not responding sooner, but things are a bit hectic right now. Having to get rid of all my possessions and then not only clean the house but also a 4,000 square foot blacksmith shop and then get all my paperwork together for the trip plus finding a new truck and pop-up camper is tantalizing. It will all work out though. I just know it!

I do want to share my 1st attempt at buying a 2012 F150 4x4 V8 Supercrew with the 157" wheelbase which will receive a pop-up slide in camper. I've been researching the best vehicle for a 12 month overland journey through Central and South America and this truck seems to be the best fit for long term living which can also go off road.

I went yesterday to the local Ford dealer and test drove the truck shown here. I actually shot a point of view video using my GoPro while driving and getting all the specs from the sales person. I won't be showing the video because the deal fell through. We had talked about the 1570 lb. payload capacity and the possibility of adding air shocks and different tires. The salesman said he would look further in their network and call me back the same day. I told him to also ask the service department for the cost of adding the tires and air shocks. I waited for a call for a couple of hours and did not hear back, so I called him around 7 pm last night.

The response I got from the salesman was not good. He said that the truck had been sold to someone else right after I left. Talking about being upset! I was outraged that this guy didn't call me back. They knew my deadline and that I was ready to buy. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. Something better will come along. Anyway, here is a picture of my old Tacoma and the new truck I almost got...

P1030725.jpg

I hope the upload works since I am logged in with my facebook account. Maybe I should register and get a separate account since I will be posting a lot more in the future?

I also want to share a couple of links with the Expedition Portal community so you can get a little bit of background on who I am.

My professional filmmaking web site is at: http://enriquevega.com
My past artist blacksmith web site is at: http://artmetal.com/enrique/

I'm really looking forward to the Maya Rally and to meeting all of you! More to come and signing off for now because there's much to do...

enrique

kbeefy

Adventurer
Enrique, good luck on your search.

Whatever you wind up with, consider firestone airbags instead on the air shocks.

Enrique Vega

Thanks kbeefy for the tip on the firestone airbags. I'm glad you mentioned this because I was looking at getting them. I didn't know if they were better than Bilsteen airbags or not. Any tips on getting my truck ready will be greatly appreciated.

I just got back this evening from taking my 1982 Goldwing GL1100 for its final ride to a friends house who will be selling it next spring. Seems there isn't much interest to buy since we are heading for winter. I'm going to miss my Baby Jane! I actually was considering taking her on this trip, but I realized a little while back that the idea of living for the next year on the road with a motorcycle pulling a trailer was a bit too far fetched for this older guy. If you're interested in seeing my first pov video with the Gold Wing, check this out...

The dream, albiet some minor changes, is becoming a reality. AND the reality starts with the 2012 Maya End of the World Rally! :smiley_drive:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Enrique,

you are not alone - I also did not get the car I wanted for the Maya Rally today....my friend has a 1975 Mercedes 450SE that I was hoping to get.
Sweet 4.5 V8 in "Creme" color...
I have been asking him for several months now and he finally agreed to sell it this morning, but then change his mind this afternoon...

I must say I can't blame it - the car is in great shape.

Enrique Vega

Maybe he will change his mind again tomorrow morning. Strange happenings going on here because I just got an email from the turkey butt dealer and he said he had found another F150 EXACTLY like the one they sold out from under me. Even the color was the exact two tone.

Now the question is should I tell him to bring it into their lot and buy it? Or should I go with a totally different dealer that will get me the same truck except for the color - a Sterling Grey Metallic, and a 3.73 electronic lock RR axle instead of the 3.55 one on the red truck. Can you give any advice on the two different axle sizes? I understand the 3.73 is not as good on gas mileage, but what about off roading?

BTW, I'm a little concerned I may be off topic. If that's bothering anyone please tell me. You never know where the path will lead and forums have a way of wandering about...

kbeefy

Adventurer
I can't reccomend firestone over bilstien, I really like bilstien shocks but have only had experience with firestone airbags. I was mainly suggesting airbags over air shocks.

For the truck questions, definitely get the electric rear locker. I'd also take the 3.73 over the 3.55. Maybe a little mileage difference but your talking about maxing it out with a camper anyways. You'll appreciate lower gearing if you want to load it down and/or to use 4x4. For what it's worth, the 3.73 and 3.55 are the same size axles, just different gears inside.

We will be leaving Columbus ohio on the 27th will be doing White Rim Trail (Moab) on the 29th and San Diego on the 30th
looking to hit Mexico the first all the way to Cabo and out of baja around the 9th

kbeefy

Adventurer
Don't forget the ferry departs at 5pm (be there by 2pm) and arrives at 11am the following day. We opted for the sailing on the 6th as we figured the 9th would be cutting it pretty close. We don't have very speedy vehicles though.

http://en.bajaferries.com/

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I finally got in touch today with Luis, our local contact near Bacalar - I really did not have enough time before.

We had a great discussions and are working through the details right now.

Looks like he has many great options for us.

The concept will be the same for both Guanajuato and Bacalar - free camping for 2 nights (Dec 10/11th and Dec 20th/21th), great dinner, a couple drinks, DJ and many other surprises...

All very exciting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94