off the beaten path coffee solutions

gm13

Adventurer
When traveling with minimal stuff I'll often use a tea ball directly in an insulated mug or brew cowboy style and get some grounds stuck in my teeth but at least I'm ingesting caffeine. After breaking numerous glass FP's I found a Frieling, pricey but insulated without any seams and built like a tank. For quality of unit, of brew and the FP's inherent simplicity it wins.

31o1TTXPtEL._SS500_.jpg

http://frieling.com/products/coffee-and-tea-essentials/

JohnMcD348

Observer
I've always used one of those speckled enamel peculator pots like they sell everywhere. It's always made a great cup of coffee. It's all dependent on the quality of the water and the bean. I don't get too fancy when I make my camp coffee.

PsychoBurb

Observer
Over the years of hunting and fishing trips I have tried just about every solution there is for making coffee.

I have a Lexan Press myself, but find I don't care for it much as the amount of coffee is fairly limited, with cleaning needed between runs.

I have, and still do, use the singles when they are the most convenient. They get expensive when making larger amounts of coffee, but are great for a quick cup or two.

We have one of the cup-top filter holders, and it works quite well. No complaints there, as long as one realizes it is made to make a limited amount per run.

For larger quantities of "good" coffee, nothing IMO beats a percolator. I have a baked enamel version I picked up at Walmart several years ago for cheap, and it works great. I've used it at every elevation from sea level to 10,000' plus. It does take a while, and a wile longer at higher elevations. But it consistently makes good coffee, and the cleanup is not bad considering the amount it will make per run (20cups).

I have used several improvised methods over the years too. Boiling water, a paper towel, and some grounds will make a palatable cup of joe too. Just set it up like an auto drip using the paper towel as a filter and pour the water thru it. But it needs to be a good quality towel, preferably non printed. But anything will work in a pinch, even a clean, or if you're that big a joe junkie, any sock full of grounds soaked in some hot water.

Jay H

servicedriven.org
My addiction to coffee verges on ridiculous.....
Currently I am using my inverter to power up a classic 120 volt krupps grinder. This is then loaded in my gold plated wire mesh re-usable filter basket, yes I wish it were a cone. I swear I can taste paper filters, I know it's nuts. I then load the filter basket into a Coleman stove top drip machine that sits on top of my big camp chef propane stove.
Yes the Coleman unit results in a lot of fuel use and packing and un packing it and waiting for it to brew is not totally ideal. It also uses a lot of fuel and has a glass carafe. I just really like drip coffee. I mean when i wake up in the am i am a coffee seeking zombie.
As soon as the pot is brewed I pour it into a thermos. A thermos is great, bad drip coffee is frequently the result of the pot sitting on a hot plate too long. The Coleman is huge and takes up a lot of space and well it's been used about 80 or 90 times already I wory about it's build quality. Maybe some day I will build my own stove top unit out of stainless.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I swear I can taste paper filters, I know it's nuts.

Actually, you are correct. There is a difference between coffee filtered with paper and coffee filtered with a metal screen.

You can cut down some of the 'paper' taste by rinsing the paper filter first (some paper filters seem to be worse than others) - but the paper will still absorb much of the oil that you extract from the ground beans. If you like the oils, this is a bad thing, if you don't like them, it's a good thing.

Personally, I think the french press gives the resulting coffee too much body, and the paper filters too little. The metal screens ("Gold Tone" filters, K-one, etc) give more body than the paper, but less than the french pres - just the way I like it.

Obviously, everyone's taste is a little different, everyone should experiment with each and find what works for them.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
My addiction to coffee verges on ridiculous.....
Currently I am using my inverter to power up a classic 120 volt krupps grinder. This is then loaded in my gold plated wire mesh re-usable filter basket, yes I wish it were a cone. I swear I can taste paper filters, I know it's nuts. I then load the filter basket into a Coleman stove top drip machine that sits on top of my big camp chef propane stove.
Yes the Coleman unit results in a lot of fuel use and packing and un packing it and waiting for it to brew is not totally ideal. It also uses a lot of fuel and has a glass carafe. I just really like drip coffee. I mean when i wake up in the am i am a coffee seeking zombie.
As soon as the pot is brewed I pour it into a thermos. A thermos is great, bad drip coffee is frequently the result of the pot sitting on a hot plate too long. The Coleman is huge and takes up a lot of space and well it's been used about 80 or 90 times already I wory about it's build quality. Maybe some day I will build my own stove top unit out of stainless.

Same club only mine is a Capresso grinder. Everyone has their "thing"...er "things" :coffeedrink:. And the small 400w inverter + the Capresso burr grinder + the mypressi TWIST refreshed v2 keeps me and my espresso buddies quite happy out on the trail!

A couple weeks ago on a long weekend trip with the misses we had a couple of oh so refreshing blended (using my Sanden OBA, a die grinder, SS blender jar, a bracket I fabbed) freshly pulled espresso iced mocha drinks. Brought the warm temps right down :)

Its all about the simple pleasures in life :elkgrin:

Wildcat

Adventurer
I use my enamel coffee pot. Boil water and throw in two of the folgers filter packs. Great coffee and no grounds, unless bag pops open which has not happened.

Honu

lost on the mainland
for espresso the Mypressi are the best thing out their that takes no power to run :)

Last edited:

Project510

Adventurer
When I only need small portions.. i.e myself and the misses I use this:

876599892_fxPTH-L.jpg

For the self pour drip set up I find a medium grind works well.. fine is ok but takes longer. I grind what I need before. Unless I am camping then I will grind a few days worth and store in a air tight container.

If I need more I use a French Press... Perculators are like the worst thing to happen to coffee.. that is.. if your drinking it for flavor and not just the kick! My perco has been demoted to only boiling water status.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
for espresso the Mypressi are the best thing out their that takes no power to run :)

spresomon you know anyone that wants to buy a Elektra A3 ? might be selling my mint super taken care of A3 :) and Mazzer mini grinder and also have my old pasquini livia auto that needs some TLC worked then had a issue so put it up not sure what I am asking for everything or seperate yet ? going to hit the forums with it soon but thought I would mention :)

Sorry I don't...

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I use this at the cabin:

IMG_20100926_141840.jpg

grind goes in the middle, hot water in the top. Coffee ends up in the bottom. No paper filter, no boiling/burnt coffee.

We have 2, this small 2 cup pot, and a larger 10 cup pot.

On the trail, I used to use Folgers singles. Passable, but not great. Now I use my JetBoil with a coffee press. Toss in the inverter and bean grinder, and I'm in coffee heaven in under 2 minutes of getting my boots on.

jetboiljava.jpg

:coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior