Off Road Trailer Group Buy (M416 Style) ***Closed***

Status
Not open for further replies.

norcalscott

For the folks who have received their trailers. Any recommendations on locking trailers while leaving it at base camp? Simon shared some ideas with me but wanted to survey the group.

Happy Fathers day to all the hard working dads out there!
I am considering a couple of things. Firstly, I feel that my lock-n-roll hitch that is pin locked into the trailer will be somewhat of an obstacle for most thieves. Not that they couldn't break the lock there with a hammer and then use a normal coupler if they happen to have that. I am also going to purchase a length of chain to use for locking the frame to a tree or wheel, and I am also thinking about building a wheel lock from chain and a section of pipe. I figure these things will make it difficult enough that it may not be worth the risk.

Soggoth

Thanks @norcalscott for pictures of your rig and trailer! Thats exactly the look I'm going for.

Got the tires mounted today:

i-Q5pkgn8-L.jpg

Almost there :)

CABronco

I'd also be interested if a similar deal like this comes up again. Great looking trailer and reasonably priced! and local to me as well!

norcalscott

Very nice set up you have there. Is it possible to fit in a standard sized garage for storage or is it too tall?
That is a good question - I thought it would be tight for me since my lifted Jeep (rack scrapes the garage door) barely fits. Unfortunately the trailer is about 6 inches taller than that with the Smittybuilt RTT on it. I had to remove the RTT to finish my mods in my garage. I am planning on storing it somewhere - I just need to make sure the door clearance is more than ~86 inches.

a4rmando

That is a good question - I thought it would be tight for me since my lifted Jeep (rack scrapes the garage door) barely fits. Unfortunately the trailer is about 6 inches taller than that with the Smittybuilt RTT on it. I had to remove the RTT to finish my mods in my garage. I am planning on storing it somewhere - I just need to make sure the door clearance is more than ~86 inches.
Yeah I kinda figured that it wouldn’t fit, but had to make sure and verify. Bummer, but not too big of a deal. Good luck and thank you!

norcalscott

**** that's a problem... what does yours measure at height wise with and without the tent?
Trailer sits about 72 inches height, running 33 inch tires. The Smttybuilt RTT, with the ladder installed and cover adds about 14 more inches, so that puts it at about 86 inches total. My drive way is on an incline so the rear of the trailer tips up a couple more inches, so I think I would need to have 88 in my house to make it without letting air out of the tires. I like the height, it makes the tent annex work well, but if I had to store it in my garage, I would probably look at shortening the rack by 6 or so inches. I'm planning to store it at an indoor RV place so I'll keep the height as it is. I've seen some builds that have adjustable height racks, but that would add a lot of expense I am sure. It may be worth asking Simon if he can reduce the height of the rack if this is going to be a problem for you.

CABronco

Trailer sits about 72 inches height, running 33 inch tires. The Smttybuilt RTT, with the ladder installed and cover adds about 14 more inches, so that puts it at about 86 inches total. My drive way is on an incline so the rear of the trailer tips up a couple more inches, so I think I would need to have 88 in my house to make it without letting air out of the tires. I like the height, it makes the tent annex work well, but if I had to store it in my garage, I would probably look at shortening the rack by 6 or so inches. I'm planning to store it at an indoor RV place so I'll keep the height as it is. I've seen some builds that have adjustable height racks, but that would add a lot of expense I am sure. It may be worth asking Simon if he can reduce the height of the rack if this is going to be a problem for you.
Looking at one of his latest Instagram posts I think he has a fix for his in the works!

norcalscott

Looking at one of his latest Instagram posts I think he has a fix for his in the works!
Yes, I am sure he can make these different heights if needed. Just to be clear, I am very happy with the current height as it makes the RTT Annex work much better. I wasn't planning to store my trailer in my garage (too many cars...) - I am going to use an indoor RV storage facility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles