Off Road Squaredrop Build

GATORB8

Hey Gents,

I'm a pretty big forum junkie, but have been in the learning mode here for a while. Wanted to share some build progress and hopefully tap into the hive mind for some recommendations.

We recently took the Jeep and the pups on a 5 week long cross country wheeling and camping trip (8k miles, 7 national parks, tons of wheeling), and, like many others, realized that a small camper would have saved tons of money in lodging and been generally more convenient. When we returned to NC and learning the cost premium and lead time for commercially built setups, I started diving into the idea of building an off-road square drop and began the build from scratch a few weeks ago.

Primary Tow Vehicle: 2021 JLUR 4xe, 3.5" Metalcloak Gamechanger, 37" BFG KO2

Basic build requirements: Queen Size Mattress, No drop in the hitch to impact tongue breakover (~22" bottom of hitch), match Jeep Tire/Wheel setup, easily towable with a goal of <2k lbs and similar height of ~78", hot water/heat, A/C at least on shore power (we are in the south), capability to get to challenging camp locations, 5x9 box, Rear galley

Locked in/purchased components:
5x8 frame (final foot of 5x9 box clearanced for departure) 2x2x.120 wall
Timbren Axle-less Suspension, Tonne/2200 lb long arm HD/Off Road, 3500 lb brakes and 5x5 lug pattern, 4" lift (this may be too much, but there is no 2" on the 2200 and zero is too low)
37x12.50R17 BFG KO2 (RWL) on Raceline Clutch 17x8.5 +18mm
Lock and Roll bolt on tongue to straight hitch
ARK XO500 Jockey Wheel
NOCO GENPRO10x1

Current progress:
Frame structure complete and beginning coating with etching primer and Raptor.

Attachments

• IMG_4965.JPG
    IMG_4965.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_4945.jpg
    IMG_4945.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_4943.JPG
    IMG_4943.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 89

Teardropper

Looks like you're headed down a fine path.

Rqn0ZtX.jpg

Good luck with your project. There's bound to be a couple of bumps but you'll figure out how to get over 'em.

Tony

GATORB8

Looks like you're headed down a fine path.

Rqn0ZtX.jpg

Good luck with your project. There's bound to be a couple of bumps but you'll figure out how to get over 'em.

Tony
Thanks. Your book is actually in my backpack sitting by my desk at work right now.

One "bump" that is still pending and may help someone else. I made the mistake of relying on the Timbren dimension sheet for wheel/tire clearance. At least with the long arms on the "Tonne" setup, the (undimensioned) pivot assembly is adjacent to the tire sidewall and eats into clearance.

Per the Timbren dimension sheet, hub face to frame is 216 mm (8.5").

I have 37x12.50 KO2s with a 13" section width and +18mm offset so the inner sidewall should ride 183mm/7.25" inboard of the hub face. So I thought I'd have 1.25" of clearance.... wrong.

The pivot frame, washer, and bolt head eat approximately 1" into the clearance exactly at the bulge of the sidewall, leaving 1/4".

I'm crossing my fingers for no rubbing. Although I hate to use them, I did order 1/4" spacers to have on hand, but that's all I can get out of the Timbren stud length and still have 1/2" of lug nut engagement. Unfortunately, if those don't work I'll end up either having to run a large enough spacer to clear the studs, or I'll have to swap them out for longer ones.

1671639979786.png
1671640242678.png

Attachments

• IMG_4949.jpg
    IMG_4949.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

GATORB8

Questions/challenge to figure out:

Water storage. I'd like to do underfloor water storage centered as close to the axle center to keep COG low and neutral. I'm having a hard time sourcing a shallow enough tank to not compromise ground clearance and stay under floor. I currently have a Ironman4x4 tank on backorder that is about 4" thick, but it's only 50L/13G and I'm concerned about the output height not being able to empty the tank: Is there a vendor with a quality and shallow setup? I haven't found much under 8".
1671656546624.png

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram

Water storage. I'd like to do underfloor water storage centered as close to the axle center to keep COG low and neutral. I'm having a hard time sourcing a shallow enough tank to not compromise ground clearance and stay under floor. I currently have a Ironman4x4 tank on backorder that is about 4" thick, but it's only 50L/13G and I'm concerned about the output height not being able to empty the tank: Is there a vendor with a quality and shallow setup? I haven't found much under 8".
View attachment 757556

Have a look at this one: https://www.canadarv.com/en/shop/pl...ank-59-x-36-x-5-elkhart-plastics-epi-4367.htm

They have a few other (similar) options, too.

GATORB8

Have a look at this one: https://www.canadarv.com/en/shop/pl...ank-59-x-36-x-5-elkhart-plastics-epi-4367.htm

They have a few other (similar) options, too.
Just finished etch primer. Would be a lot more satisfying if I didn’t run out and have to switch brands for some touch ups.

So your post made me think a little more on tank layout, and I’m not sure even the Ironman is a great fit without some modifications.

My axle “centered” frame opening is 56”Wx24”L… but I lose 3” either side for the flats on the Timbrens at bottom of frame, and the Timbren 2” crossmember will come in about 3” or so on the front side just below bottom of frame.

Hopefully I can find an Elkhart setup that will fit.

Attachments

• CC4DF2EC-CEBF-4BF0-98F4-8D10F780A211.jpeg
    CC4DF2EC-CEBF-4BF0-98F4-8D10F780A211.jpeg
    824.9 KB · Views: 36

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
How much clearance do you really need? That's something only you can decide.

If you're going to drag the trailer over boulders, then focus on clearance and skid plates. But if you haven't done that before and aren't sure you'll be doing it, I'd consider a more balanced approach. Wheeling with trailers isn't my cup of tea - I prefer to drop the trailer in camp and go exploring from there, in which case the trailer doesn't need all that much clearance or protection. Again, depends on your specific plans/use.

GATORB8

How much clearance do you really need? That's something only you can decide.

If you're going to drag the trailer over boulders, then focus on clearance and skid plates. But if you haven't done that before and aren't sure you'll be doing it, I'd consider a more balanced approach. Wheeling with trailers isn't my cup of tea - I prefer to drop the trailer in camp and go exploring from there, in which case the trailer doesn't need all that much clearance or protection. Again, depends on your specific plans/use.
Definitely a question I’ve been wrestling with. We wheel the Jeep pretty hard, but, as you mention, we normally would setup camp prior. Here on the east coast it’d be a no brainer, plenty of paved(ish) access to views and trails are too tight to attempt with a trailer anyway.

We spent a month and a half out west this year, and I think that would be our benchmark going forward. That’s where the decision gets harder, and while adding “accessories” is fine, I feel like I need to future proof our chassis in the initial build.

With the Jeep, I’m used to solid axle crawling with concentration on tire placement. Realistically I probably would have gone with a heavy straight axle on the trailer if it wasn’t for the consistent reviews about ride improvement with the timbrens.

To identify a goal, maybe a trailer I could pull across Engineer pass and make it to some reasonable Moab cliffs (like Chicken Corners) to camp.

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral

View attachment 757556
\
Would a water bladder work better for you?
1671756789110.png

Several on Amazon, 50 gallon bag, $139.00, don't have to fill it, saves space, weighs less than hard tanks or cans, can mount on a flat shelf below the frame, lots of options.

smike95

Looks good, following. I’ve been down the exact same path as you with water storage on my home made square drop. I finally came to using 4, 5 gallon jugs in my tongue basket. Partly because it helps with weight distribution. Looking for more ideas though, as I’m not sure I will continue as I have. More trips will help decide I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Check this out:
(13) Cargo Conversion Living/Water Transfer System Update/Trick Water Outlet/Tow Vehicle Organization - YouTube

That bladder I posted will go in the bed of my F-150. A hose goes to the trailer. So long as the trailer faucet is lower than the bladder, I don't need a pump or much plumbing. I can also just fill a jug.

Then, I can also use this:
1672075565977.png

I'll take the spray thing off and hook that hose to my faucet, kitchen or shower, with a pressurized system.

This keeps the water weight out of the trailer on the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles