Off Road Hard Side Camper

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I like how they're hardly wider than the truck, and with no rear overhang, I can still tow something.

I plan on the same with the table, leave it behind. There's picnic tables outside. I'm adding the AC though. Just to clear the camper from humidity as I'll be scuba diving from it.

Anywhere under 2000# would be nice. I have 3100 cargo capacity to deal with. Most likely the "works" model minus the microwave. Add the extended front bed, tarp hooks on the rear, outside and indoor shower. I don't need much room, I've come to the realization that in a big TT, whenever I hid in it from weather, I just climbed into bed. Never used the couch or the table.

Last edited:

Umnak

Adventurer
Buliwyf,

We've been out on the Washington Coast with friends, there's little cell coverage there.
P1240941.jpg

I will be posting about the camper on our "Ongoing Adventure" thread on this forum; see: https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...-america-plus-a-few-more.150556/#post-1959205 for the last few years.

I will say that after four days in blowing rain we are still very happy with our Cabin on the Road.

The interior is the Pecan paneling with what I assume is the standard color for the cabinets. I didn't go with the cedar because it is heavier than the paneling, by a couple of hundred pounds as I recall. We will probably not get a table, but instead use this set-up for our meals inside.

P1240975.jpg

Umnak

Adventurer
Umnak,
I like your minimalist style. Like buliwyf, it would be good to see a longer term review. The rules of thumb with a truck camper are:
1. Get one that will fit on (clearance all around, approach, breakover, and departure angle), has big enough tanks for your purposes, and can traverse the roads and routes you plan on traveling, considering your already acquired off-road and remote travel skills.
2. The longer you are out on the road, the more capacious and creature comforted the camper AND truck need to be. Yes, we can endure almost any set up for a week or a week end, but when we get to the 6 month or 6 year mark, having space for living with hobbies, electronics, and interests become prime. Otherwise it's more of a sentence than an adventure.
jefe
We are/were long distance sea-kayakers using bivies and tarps for shelter in Southeast Alaska and Baffin Island. Moving from the tarp to our Sportsmobile Sprinter seemed like a huge step toward decadence, but it turned out that the space was just what we needed and the diesel heater was a welcomed addition, though no match for a nice beach fire see: https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...-america-plus-a-few-more.150556/#post-1959205
The Capri will be for short trips, no more than a couple of months, so I don't think we will have the desire for anything bigger. Our experience has been that the space defines the need.

Umnak

Adventurer
I like how they're hardly wider than the truck, and with no rear overhang, I can still tow something.

I plan on the same with the table, leave it behind. There's picnic tables outside. I'm adding the AC though. Just to clear the camper from humidity as I'll be scuba diving from it.

Anywhere under 2000# would be nice. I have 3100 cargo capacity to deal with. Most likely the "works" model minus the microwave. Add the extended front bed, tarp hooks on the rear, outside and indoor shower. I don't need much room, I've come to the realization that in a big TT, whenever I hid in it from weather, I just climbed into bed. Never used the couch or the table.

I'm sure Capri can build what you want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94