Off road driving training, OR or WA?

Wose

Google is failing me, so my guess is the answer is "there aren't any," but is any one aware of a reputable offroad driving school with offerings in Oregon or Washington?

The ideal class would be one day, on a weekend where I can take my stock F150 and get some formal instruction. I'm never going to be a "wheeler" or ford streams with a snorkel, but I'm not even quite sure what the limits of the truck are, and I'd like to know in a formal setting.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Have you considered looking for a club to join? Just be careful, sometimes the guy egging you on is just a sadist that wants to see other people break expensive stuff!

Wose

Have you considered looking for a club to join? Just be careful, sometimes the guy egging you on is just a sadist that wants to see other people break expensive stuff!

That's a good idea and I've thought about it. Really, we don't have an interest in 4-wheeling as a hobby. We just do lots of backcountry vehicle supported trips, and we also live on the edge of a national forest, so three of our four ways to town are unpaved forest roads in various states of disrepair.

Most of the club guys are doing more hard core stuff than we are interested in, in more built rigs. My preference is something transactional, where I pay somebody to take a 101 level class.

I think the easy button may just be to go to the next Overland Expo and take classes there. I'm particularly interested in me and my wife working more as spotter and driver.

I appreciate your reply.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
That's a good idea and I've thought about it. Really, we don't have an interest in 4-wheeling as a hobby. We just do lots of backcountry vehicle supported trips, and we also live on the edge of a national forest, so three of our four ways to town are unpaved forest roads in various states of disrepair.

Most of the club guys are doing more hard core stuff than we are interested in, in more built rigs. My preference is something transactional, where I pay somebody to take a 101 level class.

I think the easy button may just be to go to the next Overland Expo and take classes there. I'm particularly interested in me and my wife working more as spotter and driver.

I appreciate your reply.

I definitely understand your position with respect to clubs and wheelin, I waffle back and forth on club runs here too, but consider:

Going 4 wheeling with a club is sort of like deep immersion practice for what you are trying to learn. You won’t have as much exposure to different sorts of vehicles and terrain in 3 years of solo travel as you will in 1 holiday weekend wheelin with a club. In addition, clubs are collections of people, there will be good and bad, wise and dumb, friendly and aloof, but all worth watching as you are learning to drive off-road. In the same day you will see the effects of too much tire pressure, throttle, beer, and confidence as you see the opposite as well. You will learn what gear works, and what is bought for show, and more importantly, who has build and design skills. An active year in a club gets you out there and builds the skills quickly. All the books, magazines, websites, and classes in the world are useless without experience. To paraphrase Einstein...Knowledge without experience is just information.

Wose

I definitely understand your position with respect to clubs and wheelin, I waffle back and forth on club runs here too, but consider:

Going 4 wheeling with a club is sort of like deep immersion practice for what you are trying to learn. You won’t have as much exposure to different sorts of vehicles and terrain in 3 years of solo travel as you will in 1 holiday weekend wheelin with a club. In addition, clubs are collections of people, there will be good and bad, wise and dumb, friendly and aloof, but all worth watching as you are learning to drive off-road. In the same day you will see the effects of too much tire pressure, throttle, beer, and confidence as you see the opposite as well. You will learn what gear works, and what is bought for show, and more importantly, who has build and design skills. An active year in a club gets you out there and builds the skills quickly. All the books, magazines, websites, and classes in the world are useless without experience. To paraphrase Einstein...Knowledge without experience is just information.

Good thoughts man, I appreciate it. I'm watching some of the local-ish groups on FB and such to see if they offer an event that works with our goals and equipment.

Thanks!

Louisd75

Adventurer
Google is failing me, so my guess is the answer is "there aren't any," but is any one aware of a reputable offroad driving school with offerings in Oregon or Washington?

The ideal class would be one day, on a weekend where I can take my stock F150 and get some formal instruction. I'm never going to be a "wheeler" or ford streams with a snorkel, but I'm not even quite sure what the limits of the truck are, and I'd like to know in a formal setting.

Good guys. They do a lot of LEO & SAR 4x4 driver training as well. I think at least some of them are on an adventure at the moment so I'm not sure if you'd get an instant response if you shoot them a message.

Wose

Good guys. They do a lot of LEO & SAR 4x4 driver training as well. I think at least some of them are on an adventure at the moment so I'm not sure if you'd get an instant response if you shoot them a message.

That is perfect. Thank you.

I would like to update this thread.

Washington State based 4 wheel drive trainers.

We are currently booking our September 101, 201 driver course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles