Off-road camping trailer build

OlympiaFJ60

Adventurer
Is this something you could order with a stove jack? Also what is the maximum height the the tent can be mounted to your trailer?
I have thought about that and will check on it. I think having a stove jack in the Awning room would be great. You could then leave the inner door open or the window between the two rooms open and heat the entire place. I know there are sew in stove jacks but that would require taking the tent to someone who could install it. It would be much better if it came that way from the factory.

So far most interest has been in the smaller tent (not the one I have here) and I think that is the one I will start importing. I still am working on funding my little venture and will let every one know when I'm there. The larger tent may be available by special order but the cost would be a bit higher than quoted on my website.

OlympiaFJ60

Adventurer
Finally got the water storage and waste water tanks. I ended up using Plastic-Mart. They had reasonable prices and I found nearly the exact sizes I needed.

The water tank is just a basic unbaffled 20 gallon tank. All fittings are customizable. I just put a vent, drain and fill fitting.

The tank was fitted up for marking holes then temporarily strapped up with plastic plumbers tape.

For the waste tank I decided to use a standard RV drain valve. Time will tell if this was a good idea. It sits pretty tight up to the frame behind the spring shackle. This tank came pre-molded with a 3" drain and is tapered at the back, just enough to tuck up to the rear frame member. I had a 1 1/4" fill and 3/4 vent fitting added. I got a 3"-1 1/2" adapter and the valve at the local RV repair store and the ABS fittings at the hardware store.

I will get some 1/16 or 1/8 bar stock/strap, add some bends for soft corners and bolt it up to the frame using Rivnuts. This is how my Land cruiser gas tank is mount so I think it will be adequate for the trailer.

This moves the water from inside the trailer in a forward position do directly over the axle. There is just about the same amount of room between the bump stops and the springs as there is between the axle tube and the tank. I may add a little aluminum skid shield to protect the hoses and fittings. This would be attached to the tank straps.

Last edited:

OlympiaFJ60

Adventurer
Next I'll get it all plumbed up and the new water pump installed. It will be nice to not have to carry the role around waste water tank.

Markgyver

Observer
I also need to start thinking of a water supply tank for my trailer. Very nice.

Is the tent comming with the metal frame you made? If so will it be available without?

Your build/tent has got me intrested and motivated to finish my trailer.

OlympiaFJ60

Adventurer
Is this something you could order with a stove jack? Also what is the maximum height the the tent can be mounted to your trailer?
Yes, I have checked and they can come with the stove jack. I think for simplicity this will just be a standard feature. The stove jack will have a veclroed cover when not in use.

Is the tent comming with the metal frame you made? If so will it be available without?
I think I will have the basic frame optional at little or not cost. There will also be an option for a frame to fit your trailer. Cost of this will depend on complexity. I may also have a DIY frame kit with hinges, latches and struts.

OlympiaFJ60

Adventurer
Also what is the height you have the tent mounted on your trailer?
Mine is at 52"-54" The tent is flexible from 50"-56". This gives room for varied terrain. It could probably go higher but the corners near the trailer would be off the ground. Since you don't walk here it shouldn't be much of a problem.

I have tried to think of ways of having more height range but can't really come up with anything.

Markgyver

Observer
Mine is at 52"-54" The tent is flexible from 50"-56". This gives room for varied terrain. It could probably go higher but the corners near the trailer would be off the ground. Since you don't walk here it shouldn't be much of a problem.

I have tried to think of ways of having more height range but can't really come up with anything.
50" to 56" is ideal !!!

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
If I'm seeing this right, won't your weight shift front to back as you use fresh water and it ends up in the waste tank?

OlympiaFJ60

Adventurer
Yes it will, but not enough to cause a problem, I don't think. The waste tank is 10 gallons, so 80lbs. The fresh water is 20 gal and is about 60% in front of the axle. Most storage space is forward of the axle (I didn't have much internal storage with the tank inside), 5 gallon water heater and two deep cycle batteries are also forward. The tent is about 60% forward of the axle too. I do plan on checking the "worst case" weight balance though by filling the waste tank and having the rest of the trailer empty. Then I can check tongue weight and road manners.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I definely wouln't travel with any waste water in the tank..you would be suprized the amount of "wag" (even 80 lbs.) too much on the ***** will give ya!!

Of course I know you knew that....:victory:

OlympiaFJ60

Adventurer
Here are a few of the trailer in action on a recent camping trip to the Naches Ranger district.

A few of the tank straps. Turned out pretty well. No sign of failure yet but the center of the water tank may need a little more support.

I was able to gain a lot of space in the trailer by moving the water tank underneath. I rearranged the batteries to help maximize this space.

And one of the second tank straps. I used the XL quick fist straps. They are just big enough for the smaller tanks and hold it quite well.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Well..you finally hit the bigtime Son!!...:wings:

Looks awesome Brandon...love the battery move and is the top shelf new?!

Not to be more nosier than usual......what kind of tongue weight are you pushing now, and do you have room to slide a 1/8" aluminum plate under the water tank straps to help disperse some of the tank weight? (might offer some puncture protection also). Also ..how stable are the drop foot jacks?

Checked out the website last night...two thumbs up!!

Really enjoyed the live action shots!

Pat

OlympiaFJ60

Adventurer
Thanks Pat, The shelf was always there, I just opened up a whole in it. The shelf use to cover the entire area forward of the kitchen drawer.

The stabilizers work ok. I think I would have been fine just using some sliding polls like the Conqueror trailers use. It does give a bit of leveling but I'm nearly to the top of the reach.

I do have some sheet aluminum, probably 14 guage, that I used on the tailgate. I may try doubling that up under the tank the extending it forward and back for a little rock shield.

The tongue weight is a little too much. I wish I would have set the axle about 6" or so further forward. It is better with the water tank move and I don't have any problem when the waste tank is full and the water tank empty, but there is almost no weight other than the waste tank behind the axle. I need to take the trailer by some truck scales and get an idea of what I'm dealing with. "I" can still lift it but it is pretty hard. I think in a few years, I'll through out my back trying to lift it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zrad