Off Grid Trailers

DRAX

Yeah, I ran into a similar issues with wheels and tires. They wouldn't use the wheels\tires I wanted (to match the truck) so I ended up just giving away 2 brand new wheels and tires.

I'm debating going the opposite route eventually, get wheels to match the trailer. Currently running 275/55R20 Wildpeaks on my truck, would like to eventually switch to 17s and be able to carry one full-size spare that would work on either the truck or trailer. Might be too much of a pain, we'll see. I'd need to get adapters/spacers for my truck to match the bolt pattern of the trailer's wheels.

If they are still using the same Noco AC-DC charger that they used in mine then you will also need to replace that if you go to lithium. The unit that is in mine does not support lithium.

They're linking to https://no.co/gen5x2 on their site now, so if that is indeed the one they're using then it'll do lithium.

No. The Redarc unit I linked to only draws 12 amps, it is meant to be used with the standard 7-pin plug. It won't charge the bank up quickly but it will at least keep up with the fridge while driving, that is my biggest concern. The Dometic CFX is a great unit, and not especially power hungry *most of the time*. I've found myself sometimes needing to do 2 travel days in a row when it's hot out - 100+ - (with no time to set up the solar panels) and that really eats into the battery. I just need something that will put back what the fridge is using while I'm driving (8 amps, when it's running, which is almost all the time when the ambient temp is above 100). It may not be too much of an issue for sane people who don't travel in the southwest in the middle of summer....

Good to know, I might start out going that route initially then and see how it does before I commit to running some high-amp wires to the trailer.

300w of solar should be more than enough for you. I've got 280w and on a sunny day the batteries are always fully charged by early afternoon. I'm putting in a pair of 100ah Battle Born batteries. The size is almost exactly the same as the existing batteries so they *should* swap right in...

Better to have too much than not enough! :D We like to spend time in the mountains/trees, so I want to make sure if direct sunlight is in short supply then we'll still have a good shot at getting the batteries charged as much as possible. I've been considering the 2x 100Ah Battle Born heated batteries as my upgrade, I plan to do a bit of winter/snow camping and we'll be heading to Alaska/Yukon/NWT eventually and I'd like to have the ability to keep the batteries heated when necessary.

DRAX

Here are the two OGT videos with them all out on the trails, the most recent video dropped this morning.

Grassland

Mission Overland trailers are designed or built by the original owner of Off-grid.
I don't recall the story but he sold to a venture capitalist that also owns Escape as mentioned.

Robert I

I'm debating going the opposite route eventually, get wheels to match the trailer. Currently running 275/55R20 Wildpeaks on my truck, would like to eventually switch to 17s and be able to carry one full-size spare that would work on either the truck or trailer. Might be too much of a pain, we'll see. I'd need to get adapters/spacers for my truck to match the bolt pattern of the trailer's wheels.

They're linking to https://no.co/gen5x2 on their site now, so if that is indeed the one they're using then it'll do lithium.

Good to know, I might start out going that route initially then and see how it does before I commit to running some high-amp wires to the trailer.

Better to have too much than not enough! :D We like to spend time in the mountains/trees, so I want to make sure if direct sunlight is in short supply then we'll still have a good shot at getting the batteries charged as much as possible. I've been considering the 2x 100Ah Battle Born heated batteries as my upgrade, I plan to do a bit of winter/snow camping and we'll be heading to Alaska/Yukon/NWT eventually and I'd like to have the ability to keep the batteries heated when necessary.

I'm intrigued by the Off-Grid Expedition model. I've been wondering how owners, especially those in hot regions, manage temperature inside the large front box? The refrigerator you mentioned lives there and there would also be heat generated by the electrical / solar components inside. Furthermore the boxes are often painted black which is known to attract more heat than other colours.

4000lbsOfGoat

I'm intrigued by the Off-Grid Expedition model. I've been wondering how owners, especially those in hot regions, manage temperature inside the large front box? The refrigerator you mentioned lives there and there would also be heat generated by the electrical / solar components inside. Furthermore the boxes are often painted black which is known to attract more heat than other colours.
I have camped with mine in full desert sun many times and I must say that managing the temperature of that compartment is an ongoing challenge. I don't track the temperature in the compartment itself but I have seen 110F inside the camper.

The best strategy I have come up with is to ensure that the camper is oriented with the tongue facing east so that the compartment only gets direct sunlight in the morning. That puts the 270 awning on the south and west sides and thus keeps as much of the camper as possible in the shade for as long as possible. I also keep both of the compartment doors open whenever possible - i.e. as long as the sun isn't shining directly in the compartment. If it's real hot I also keep the fridge slid out of the compartment whenever possible.

On the rare occasions I've had ready access to water, a little bath now and then works wonders.

Cheers!

DRAX

I have heard some folks have had problems with the fridge shutting off due to overheating because of the temps inside the box. I think some ended up installing fans with filters, others lined the inside with Reflectix. I'd be more inclined to try Reflectix first as that is non-destructive and doesn't allow dust or water to find new ways inside.

Of course, these issues wouldn't be specific or limited to the OGT units but any vehicle with similar storage.

For us, we really can't stand camping in the heat or humidity in general so our trips revolve around heading for cooler climates in the summer. Sure, that doesn't prevent the black boxes from still getting really hot inside when exposed to the sun but it should be less of an issue when compared to camping in the hot desert sun where even ambient temps make it difficult to keep things cool.

We're supposed to receive our trailer in 1-2 months so once I have some hands-on time with it I'll definitely post up my experience. First long trip will probably when I head to Overland Expo West in May with various trips throughout the summer, likely heading to Colorado again in August.

Robert I

I have heard some folks have had problems with the fridge shutting off due to overheating because of the temps inside the box. I think some ended up installing fans with filters, others lined the inside with Reflectix. I'd be more inclined to try Reflectix first as that is non-destructive and doesn't allow dust or water to find new ways inside.

Of course, these issues wouldn't be specific or limited to the OGT units but any vehicle with similar storage.

For us, we really can't stand camping in the heat or humidity in general so our trips revolve around heading for cooler climates in the summer. Sure, that doesn't prevent the black boxes from still getting really hot inside when exposed to the sun but it should be less of an issue when compared to camping in the hot desert sun where even ambient temps make it difficult to keep things cool.

We're supposed to receive our trailer in 1-2 months so once I have some hands-on time with it I'll definitely post up my experience. First long trip will probably when I head to Overland Expo West in May with various trips throughout the summer, likely heading to Colorado again in August.

Agreed I'm sure this is not specific or limited to OGT. I don't want to reflect negatively on them.

Like 4,000 lbs Of Goat described I see this as a management challenge for owners. Your thoughts on insulating the box are interesting. It seems to me that the benefit would hinge on whether more heat is created inside by the electrical equipment, or outside, by the sun. The goal has to be to protect electrical components from overheating.

Choosing where to travel based on temperature makes sense!

RonC

I did run into problems with the icemaker in my fridge when the ambient temp was 113F.

Best to avoid Moab in June!

We received our Expo 2.0 in December so the two trips we have had was in cold weather. Like others, we usually camp in the mountains during the summer. But I am curious as to how this works out. I have a desire to camp in winter snow so I am trying to figure out how to have water in that case. The lines are pretty much protected from the elements but they have no heat source. OGT says don't carry water in freezing temps, but some have done so successfully.

All that being said, this trailer is awesome. I initially was going for a Mission Overland camper and was a day or so away from driving to TX to pick one up. But I was convinced by an OGT rep, I could overcome my objection to OGT with a second awning/tent combo. These are well built from what I can tell. I miss our Crux trailer for a number of reasons, but this is working out really, really well. It is certainly one of the best, but it is pricey!

4000lbsOfGoat

We received our Expo 2.0 in December so the two trips we have had was in cold weather. Like others, we usually camp in the mountains during the summer. But I am curious as to how this works out. I have a desire to camp in winter snow so I am trying to figure out how to have water in that case. The lines are pretty much protected from the elements but they have no heat source. OGT says don't carry water in freezing temps, but some have done so successfully.

All that being said, this trailer is awesome. I initially was going for a Mission Overland camper and was a day or so away from driving to TX to pick one up. But I was convinced by an OGT rep, I could overcome my objection to OGT with a second awning/tent combo. These are well built from what I can tell. I miss our Crux trailer for a number of reasons, but this is working out really, really well. It is certainly one of the best, but it is pricey!
It's great to see this thread finally getting some life!

We have done few nights in ours when the temp got into the low 20s but it warmed up into the 60s during the day. If I suspect it may get below freezing overnight then before packing it in for the night I will run the hot water for a bit to warm up the water heater then stuff a heavy flannel shirt into the compartment for some insulation. The small internal passages in the water heater will be the first to freeze if anything is going to freeze.

That being said, I definitely would not carry any water in it if the temps were going to be consistently cold all day.

RonC

It's great to see this thread finally getting some life!

We have done few nights in ours when the temp got into the low 20s but it warmed up into the 60s during the day. If I suspect it may get below freezing overnight then before packing it in for the night I will run the hot water for a bit to warm up the water heater then stuff a heavy flannel shirt into the compartment for some insulation. The small internal passages in the water heater will be the first to freeze if anything is going to freeze.

That being said, I definitely would not carry any water in it if the temps were going to be consistently cold all day.

I think it is quiet really for one reason, the Fakebook page is very very active.

Robert I

If you feel like sharing I would be interested in knowing what advantages you see in the Expedition compared to the Mission Overland?

RonC

If you feel like sharing I would be interested in knowing what advantages you see in the Expedition compared to the Mission Overland?

Just my personal opinion and my thinking. I really like the Mission and as I said, I put money down on one and was a few days from driving to pick it up.

I spent some time on the fakebook page of Mission Overland. I kept seeing issues with leaking (quite a bit actually), general quality issues, rips on the fabric, other misc. stuff. The group is considerably smaller than OGT, roughly 20x smaller. It seems that MO is always trying to fix something or another. That being said, OGT has issues too. But when I compared the relative difference in complaints and bellyaching, it just appeared to me that OGT might be farther along in quality. I think MO will get there. I love the design.

Mostly however it was how the Expo is set up. Storage is really great, and in fact we have extra space. I like the kitchen setup for the Expo which helps lower the tongue weight relative the the MO. Note also I think the MO is heavier and I wanted a lighter load on both our JLU, and our JT.

The awning on the MO is superior in my opinion to the 23zero, so when OGT ran out of inventory, I bought the OVS 270 which the MO comes with. I also bought a CVS awning for the driver side that has a tent system. That was to "replace" the MO advantage of a pop up roof and a hangout space from bugs. The last camping trip, we put the OVS awning walls on, and had a nice gas fire inside, and six of us around the fire. What awesome memories.

And finally, since we also carry kayaks, I wanted to be able to have kayaks on the roof but still be able to camp if it is an intermediate stop. I just set up as normal, but leave the kayaks on the roof.

All in all, it is a tough choice and I could have been happy with either. If you like the MO, you should get it, but I prefer and am glad we got the Expo, it is such a nice rig. Hope this helps in some way.

Ron

P.S. One more thing, I think the Expo is a bit warmer in cold weather than the Summit.

Last edited:

stevo_pct

Thank for all of that info! Has anyone compared Off Grid with the Boreas XT? I’m deciding between one of those two. On another thread someone mentioned that the OGT Expo has more storage space, but storage won’t be an issue for me as I’ll be towing with a full size pickup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles