off-brand awnings?

Model97

krick3tt

Adventurer
Apparently there are a lot of available options. Except for the fact that it comes in a soft cover option they look good.

shifty98

Observer
I am very interested in this as well. What are other's experiences with such alternatives? Are there any with the potential to enclose all 4 sides?

NMC_EXP

Explorer
I use a canvas tarp, tied to the roof rack, supported by Cabelas adjustable tent poles, guy ropes and tent stakes.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
I got a Sunday Campers Chinese awning. It's going on 3 years that I've had it. It did get caught in the wind during deployment and blew out the hinges. They use the same ones at Foxwing and I ordered the SuperFlex from Darche in Australia as replacements.

JPaul

Observer
If you ask the vendors at the shows what happens (this includes the overland expo in Flagstaff). I can give you my experience. You have a product on display and some Chinese come up with their cameras and take hundreds of pictures of your product from inches away to every which angle. maybe one has some English skill asking question, not you normal questions asked. They take any display item not nailed and glued down. You notice a year later you see the cheaper copy of your product on the market. This is not just one couple but more then one who do this.

Your product may have a patent on it, but that means nothing to them, You could try and stop it through the courts, but you need millions for the process. The mean time they keep selling the cheap stuff taking your profits for your developing your item. In most cases the cheap Chinese product is maybe OK and work to a point. You in you heart know it is not as good but it will work for a while and is cheaper. As a example; Those cheep bag chairs that sell for $5 .99 to 19.99 You know that by the end of the second season (if your lucky) you have to replace it. Buying a better chair will be much more comfortable and last many years or more and cheaper in the long run.

Back to the awnings. What happens when a big gust of wind hits the awning and it is torn to shreads. try and by replacement parts. I guess that you can buy a complete cheap one again.
Who has this actually happened to? So far every knock off that is actually really close to the official product I've seen has been something that was already being made in China for the "manufacturer", then the Chinese just take seconds or run them using cheaper parts and/or no branding and sell them.

The Chinese do this on just about everything that is made there, from electronics to clothing to hardware to you name it. The snorkel for my H3 I get from China is virtually exactly the same as the Safari/ARB one because it is actually made there, not Australia. Only real difference is they made a mold without the branding engraved into it. Technically it's a knock off, but it is functionally and materially the same exact product, just no branding.

Probably the same with the awnings, they are probably put together using the same exact parts as the ARB's, but probably from clear back when they first came out and before updates and fixes were made to their construction.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Model97

Who has this actually happened to? So far every knock off that is actually really close to the official product I've seen has been something that was already being made in China for the "manufacturer", then the Chinese just take seconds or run them using cheaper parts and/or no branding and sell them.

The Chinese do this on just about everything that is made there, from electronics to clothing to hardware to you name it. The snorkel for my H3 I get from China is virtually exactly the same as the Safari/ARB one because it is actually made there, not Australia. Only real difference is they made a mold without the branding engraved into it. Technically it's a knock off, but it is functionally and materially the same exact product, just no branding.

Probably the same with the awnings, they are probably put together using the same exact parts as the ARB's, but probably from clear back when they first came out and before updates and fixes were made to their construction.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This is what I'm suspecting. I see that domestic company "A" , "B" and "C" all seem to be selling the same thing. I'm sure they focus their efforts on the core hardware business and outsource some of the other stuff.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I have one of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/Awning-Roo...?hash=item2cc776c77b:m:moA4A6gzVPKJeGnjtsShaB I do not know how it compares to ARB but it was a hell of a deal and is very good quality awning.

So I ordered one of these for my Jeep TJ yesterday based on Lynnrb's recommendation and the fact that it is inexpensive (and I've been wanting one):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Awning-Roo...?hash=item2cc776c77b:m:moA4A6gzVPKJeGnjtsShaB

I guess we'll see how it works out. It should be here next week. 6.6' x 8.2' in gray. $109 with free shipping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles