O'erlanderwagen build

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Hi, any chance you could measure the highest point of your frontrunner from the roof. I'm looking at max 12cm clearance above roof in my basement carpark :(

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

This is a bit difficult to measure since the roof curves, but when measuring at the driver side b-pillar, from average of roof height up to the top side of the FR rack, I measure ~4.25"(~10.8cm).
Now with the FR SlimlineI rack at least(I'm not sure if this is a feature of the SlimlineII), you can flip the rack upside down so that the top "floor surface" of the rack is completely flat, vs more of a basket style with the rack's sides a bit higher than the rack "floor surface" is(this is how I have mine set up).

rsclark777

Could you also let me know where you purchased the black trim for your G-Wagen? I really don't like the 80's style trim and not super fond of removing and having hte wholes exposed (better look but not much better). Really like what you have done - taking copious notes.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Could you also let me know where you purchased the black trim for your G-Wagen? I really don't like the 80's style trim and not super fond of removing and having hte wholes exposed (better look but not much better). Really like what you have done - taking copious notes.

Thanks for the kind words. I'll send you a PM.

abloggs

Thanks for taking the time to measure. My parts order is slowly coming together! Great suggestion about flipping the rack. Any other thoughts re slimline ver2 (2.16m) vs slimline ver1 (2.4m). I'm leaning more towards the full length 2.4m slimline1. I think the only difference between the two models is the older feet mounts without the security locking feature. My RTT is 2.1m in length which would give me a nice 30x145 area on the rack behind the RTT to mount a storage box.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Truck looking great mate... Hopefully one of these days I'll get to inspect it more closely and personally. I just love knowing that not ALL the Glandewagens in Portland are driven by soccer-moms on their cell-phones aye (I know there are a few more, but you know what I means esp. with our proximity to LO/West-Linn aye LOL).

Cheers

Dave

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Thanks for taking the time to measure. My parts order is slowly coming together! Great suggestion about flipping the rack. Any other thoughts re slimline ver2 (2.16m) vs slimline ver1 (2.4m). I'm leaning more towards the full length 2.4m slimline1. I think the only difference between the two models is the older feet mounts without the security locking feature. My RTT is 2.1m in length which would give me a nice 30x145 area on the rack behind the RTT to mount a storage box.

You're very welcome.
I would do the longer 2.4M again.
Security feet would be nice but I figure if someone wants to try to unload my rack/RTT/etc(~190lbs) without a crane, good luck.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Truck looking great mate... Hopefully one of these days I'll get to inspect it more closely and personally. I just love knowing that not ALL the Glandewagens in Portland are driven by soccer-moms on their cell-phones aye (I know there are a few more, but you know what I means esp. with our proximity to LO/West-Linn aye LOL).

Cheers

Dave

Looking forward to finally meeting you sometime Dave!

penguincoder

Observer
With regards to your build, how long has most of the work taken you? Is the G class a more challenging project than a more mainstream choice? I don't mean just finding parts, but fitting them.

Also, how many excursions do you take? This looks like a truck that can be driven a lot of places.

greynolds

Observer
With regards to your build, how long has most of the work taken you? Is the G class a more challenging project than a more mainstream choice? I don't mean just finding parts, but fitting them.
Finding parts (or having them fabricated) is most likely the hard part. Fitting them really shouldn't be any more or less difficult than with other similar vehicles (Land Rover, Toyota, etc.). One of the nice things about the G is that the bulk of the hard stuff, such as lockers, is already there from the factory. Most of the changes that people want are simpler items like springs and roof racks.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge

Also, how many excursions do you take? This looks like a truck that can be driven a lot of places.

Hmmm, let me think...I've been building this G up slowly over the past ~2yrs. I started with a grand plan, and just started nibbling at it.
As greynolds mentioned, the G is challenging because many pieces have never been available, are custom-build only, or are only available in Europe. It'd certainly be nice to be like an LC100 or a JK and have TONS of parts to choose from, all at lesser costs, but then again, having a G in a sea of local JK's puts a smile on my face too.
Fitting the parts isn't any more difficult. Fitment of everything has been straightforward so far.

Excursions; (it's my daily driver too) can be long weekends to a few weeks at a time. The majority of weekends from spring-fall are in my G out and about. It's a small home away from home.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Finding parts (or having them fabricated) is most likely the hard part. Fitting them really shouldn't be any more or less difficult than with other similar vehicles (Land Rover, Toyota, etc.). One of the nice things about the G is that the bulk of the hard stuff, such as lockers, is already there from the factory. Most of the changes that people want are simpler items like springs and roof racks.

Yes, it has a fantastic "baseline" to build from. Thankfully Magna-Steyr built it right from the get go. I wish they would have incorporated more aluminum, titanium, carbon and kevlar, but other than that, no complaints. :sombrero:

larrydallas

Wow. I had pretty much decided that my next vehicle would be a Land Cruiser 100 that I would build for overlanding. It probably still will be given total cost considerations and availability of aftermarket mods, but seeing your G-wagen makes the wheels start spinning. Your rig is awesome. Hopefully I'll run into you sometime and get to drool all over it. On second thought, that might be a bad idea, I don't need that kind of temptation. Really nice machine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles