O'erlanderwagen build

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
-Aiming to finish up the laptop mount soon. Will post pics. Am loving DeLorme Topo9.0. Very important when off the beaten path!
-I recently found a nice location for my black Maxtrax set. I'll show you where soon as well.
-For the aux lights, pretty much settling on halogen vs halogen w/ HID retrofits(worried about reliability with the DDM kits, and take a bit to warm up, in case I need the lights NOW), HID's($$$), LED's($$$). Was thinking Hella 4000's all along, but entertaining the IPF's. Maybe their new dual beam on the brush guard, and spots/driving up top on the rack. If there's too much light wash onto the hood with them, I'll have to vinyl the hood.
-My stereo guys just showed me a night vision FLIR camera setup today which will work in my factory COMAND unit. Now THAT would be awesome, especially for Search-and-Rescue work.

Overall, been really enjoying this truck, save for the 13mpg even when driving nicely. I keep reminding myself, EVERY vehicle has a downside, this is the G's.
Found the front locker won't engage anymore--have a large vacuum leak to it, so need to get that fixed soon.
Re-balanced the heavy Hutchinson's and shimmy on the freeway is MUCH better(only random phantom shimmy now, all due to the large meaty tread--common).

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Got the custom Ram-mount laptop mount setup all finalized and installed(thanks Russ for the final fab work!). VERY happy with their products, and the flexibility their system offers. Fully height-telescoping, dual swing-outs. It's simple to orientate the laptop towards me, or the passenger can easily use the laptop while riding. Custom rollbar padding to protect the passenger's left leg. It swings out of the way and rests over the center console when not using the laptop.

DSCN1066-vi.jpg

Yes, the net cupholder actually still works, but just barely. I may have an offset bracket fab'd up if the front passenger complains enough.
DSCN1067-vi.jpg

DSCN1071-vi.jpg

DSCN1072-vi.jpg

Ram-Mount bracket meant for a Chevy Kodiak, modified G-stylz; :chef:
DSCN1074-vi.jpg

DSCN1075-vi.jpg

DSCN1077-vi.jpg

DSCN1078-vi.jpg

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
DSCN1079-vi.jpg

I love DeLorme Topo 9.0! So handy when out in the bush.
DSCN1080-vi.jpg

Also, before heading out to the Oregon Dunes Nat'l Rec Area again, I was searching for a home for my Maxtrax for now. The FrontRunner cargo net is the perfect solution!
DSCN1039-vi.jpg

Happened to run into Ron Moon (was at ExPo '12 in Arizona, writes Australian overlanding guidebooks) and friend from Australia. They were sloooowly headed down to LA(were going to take a month to get there). Great people;
DSC1599-vi.jpg

Ok so my fuel mileage sucks, I knew that going into it. But still really enjoying this rig save for towing the gas pump behind me!

Last edited:

ScottReb

Adventurer
I've owned LCs and LRs picking up my G next week. I got 12-15 mpg on all of those as well. Loaded up I think they're all similar. 80,100, D2 & RRC. Not saying it doesn't hurt, just saying they're all close.

traveller09

Jeremy, I might have missed it, but could you post some pic's of your table mounting under the roof rack? Also, what table are you using? I still absolutely love your build.

David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I've owned LCs and LRs picking up my G next week. I got 12-15 mpg on all of those as well. Loaded up I think they're all similar. 80,100, D2 & RRC. Not saying it doesn't hurt, just saying they're all close.

Congrats on the G Scott! What are you getting?

That info does help the sting a bit, thanks. I won't even start crying about all the turbo diesel rigs w/ better fuel economy that we can't get here in the USA. So I just drive and slip my card into the gas pump every few hundred miles and enjoy the scenery. :smiley_drive:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Jeremy, I might have missed it, but could you post some pic's of your table mounting under the roof rack? Also, what table are you using? I still absolutely love your build.

David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi David,

Page 6 has some great pics of the rack flipped upside down and the table brackets are visible there, as well as pics of the table from the rear;
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/78051-O-erlanderwagen-build/page6

Front Runner's stainless camp table (the larger of the two). I actually mocked up (with cardboard to spec) putting their smaller stainless table coming out from the driver's side of the truck as well, but then I questioned why one guy would need two tables. The larger one suits me just fine.

Thank you kindly!
I was just up north of you 2 weekends ago. I would have loved to have stopped by. Next time?
Any luck finding a G500 for you?

ScottReb

Adventurer
I found a well maintained 80K miles 02 in Silver with Gray. Inspected by Darren Collie, couple small issues, looks perfect tons of PM done by PO. Owned by a couple different people in the Bellvue WA area. Nothing but a soccer mom used vehicle. Im just started on my G journey but very happy thus far.

Going to do a silver with black trim Entdecker/G Pro look. This months G Wagen magazine has a nice Gray Professional. Yours is a nice inspiration as well! Hope to run into you at a G Treffen.
Scott

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I found a well maintained 80K miles 02 in Silver with Gray. Inspected by Darren Collie, couple small issues, looks perfect tons of PM done by PO. Owned by a couple different people in the Bellvue WA area. Nothing but a soccer mom used vehicle. Im just started on my G journey but very happy thus far.

Going to do a silver with black trim Entdecker/G Pro look. This months G Wagen magazine has a nice Gray Professional. Yours is a nice inspiration as well! Hope to run into you at a G Treffen.
Scott

Awesome Scott! If it was up in Bellevue, then most likely it was a soccer mom rig and well taken care of as you mention.

I look forward to seeing your build, and running into you at G-Treffen and NWMF. Thanks for the kind words.
Post pics of the gray Pro if you can for us to drool over.

traveller09

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks, I did overlook those pictures, I like getting the table out of the rig to add more interior room.

You bet, next time you are coming up let me know we can grab a beer and I can drool on your rig. (if I am not traveling I have been doing a lot of that lately)

I haven’t found a rig yet, I want to take care of a couple financial items first. I am also very patient, it took me 2 years to find my 911. It is a matter of finding the right years ( I am thinking 04 or 05, seems to be the sweet spot, unless I can find a nice 99 or 2000), very low mileage in the right color combo. Since I hate trading cars and it is likely I will keep this for a long time I might as well remain patient and get exactly what I want. Although I do I confess that I am starting to get a little impatient and would love to get rid of the TLC now and get into a G. I also need to figure out how much I am willing to spend for one, I have already set my budget higher than I originally planned and now I am thinking I may need to go even higher.

Keep posting pictures maybe it will force me to move a little quicker. Of course if gas keeps going up and G prices keep dropping maybe I will pull the trigger sooner than later.

David

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Hi Jeremy,

Thanks, I did overlook those pictures, I like getting the table out of the rig to add more interior room.

You bet, next time you are coming up let me know we can grab a beer and I can drool on your rig. (if I am not traveling I have been doing a lot of that lately)

I haven't found a rig yet, I want to take care of a couple financial items first. I am also very patient, it took me 2 years to find my 911. It is a matter of finding the right years ( I am thinking 04 or 05, seems to be the sweet spot, unless I can find a nice 99 or 2000), very low mileage in the right color combo. Since I hate trading cars and it is likely I will keep this for a long time I might as well remain patient and get exactly what I want. Although I do I confess that I am starting to get a little impatient and would love to get rid of the TLC now and get into a G. I also need to figure out how much I am willing to spend for one, I have already set my budget higher than I originally planned and now I am thinking I may need to go even higher.

Keep posting pictures maybe it will force me to move a little quicker. Of course if gas keeps going up and G prices keep dropping maybe I will pull the trigger sooner than later.

David

Having the table up top is a nice feature.
IMHO as long as you find a G that's been well-maintained and loved, the year doesn't matter.
PM sent to discuss more...

BlueGerbil

C´est le gerbil plus bleu
Since my setup was going to be a bit unique(Autohome Columbus with the FrontRunner SS camp table underneath), we had to build spacers to space the table down further towards the G's roof so that the bottom of the F.R. Maggiolina mounts and the threads of the carriage bolts would clear the table. Luckily there was barely enough room(more on that later). We built these out of black UHMW, radius'd edges, countersunk holes. They turned out very well. (keep in mind these pics are showing the underside of the rack)
View attachment 104191

More felt on the F.R. "Z" slide brackets for the SS camp table, again so that it keeps the table rattle-free and snug;
View attachment 104192

Thanks a bunch for that idea, that was exactly what I didn´t think of. I´m running a FR slimline rack on my rig with the Maggiolina Carbon Fibre and was unable to fit FR table underneath.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke