O'erlanderwagen build

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Nice! I have always loved the G Wagon since my first day in Germany, back then it was West Germany. Looking forward to seeing it at the WA Rally!

Looking forward to seeing you and the girls again too. Maybe this time we can beat you in the Skills Competition. ;-)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
good job dude. a lotta grey for me, but a nice bombproof layout. now all you need is a beer gut and you could be mistaken for karl. :)

you just spent 45,000 to do what our fathers did in an f150 and a colman tent..... :) dont think about it.

Thanks Zimm. It's called "cohesive." ;-)
Never a beer gut for me.

I'm not there yet, but will be approaching it eventually. This is roughing it the gentle way. :)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Nicely put together! Where do you store the ladder for the tent?

Thanks!
I haven't finalized my ladder choice yet as I like to do lots of thinking/research before purchasing. I don't want to buy things twice. I will most likely go with Thomas' Desert Service ladder from Germany as it will fit my setup better. I do have the Autohome ladder in my RTT. For now I can step on the bumper w/ my right foot, left foot onto the spare tire, hold onto the rack and prop up into the RTT.

Dust999

Observer
Do you think there would be enough space under the roof rack, next to the table to slide a ladder in. I'm looking at an auto home, but storing the ladder inside the tent does not appeal to me....can bring in dirt and mud if the conditions are not good.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Do you think there would be enough space under the roof rack, next to the table to slide a ladder in. I'm looking at an auto home, but storing the ladder inside the tent does not appeal to me....can bring in dirt and mud if the conditions are not good.

This has been one of my thoughts as well, even a slide-out-and-flip-down unit would be trick(although overcomplicated). I have 15" of space between the pass side end of the Z table slider and the inboard edge of the rack foot.
The original owner of my Autohome just made a nylon bag for the bottom section of the Autohome ladder, so that it wouldn't track mud inside the RTT. This seems to work well for the time being.
All in all, I will ditch the Autohome ladder for an external one (either Desert Service or one built into a custom rear bumper) so that I don't have to crawl up to the RTT, retrieve the ladder, set it up, then take it back down and store it again.

The simplest setup is either Karl (G-Wagen Accessories), Desert Service, or ORC's ladder affixed above pass side taillight.

traveller09

Man that is tall, it will fit into my garage but just barely. Somehow I doubt it will fit in many parking garages. What is the height just to the roof top?

traveller09

Just curious, why don't you trust the LC for long drives? Is it just abused and tired? Having owned both, I would trust both of our old 80 Series and our current 100 with myself (and my family's) lives - in fact, I have and I do. Not trying to troll, your statement just stood out for me. In general, over a lifetime of Toyota (LC only) and Mercedes (many types) ownership, I would tend to say the LCs are bulletproof, the MBs not always so.

BTW, this is a great build, looking very nice and purposeful for a 463 (sorry, I'm a bit biased toward 460s, hehe...)

Derek,

Sorry I missed your post. I don't trust it right now because it needs some work, it is mostly just tired. It is leaking some fluids, it needs new rotors, all are things that can be fixed. It has been dependable although I will say it is the only vehicle I have ever owned that has left me stranded and I had to get a tow. I don't know that anything major is wrong, but I just have this feeling something is ready to go on it like a head gasket or something. I can just feel it. It has been a good vehicle I think mentally I am just done with it and ready for something else (G500). I haven't owned a G but did own an 87 260E, I bought it when it was 4 years old and drove it for 11 years. It was the best car I ever owned and I never got tired of driving it, and it never left me stranded. The TLC has been a good vehicle, I just have never really connected with it, it has always been just been blah to me. I am looking forward to a change.

David

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Finally got my Nat'l Luna fridge, Nat'l Luna power pack(temporary placement until the rear platform gets built), and Front Runner cargo net installed.
photo02-vi.jpg

DSCN1018-vi.jpg

DSCN1019-vi.jpg

DSCN1007-vi.jpg

DSCN1010-vi.jpg

DSCN1013-vi.jpg

Truly first class pieces of kit, I'm so very happy with them. They performed flawlessly this past weekend at G-Treffen.
photo11-vi.jpg

(Trio of Tectite's)
photo10-vi.jpg

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
What a nice set-up you have now, Jeremy.

So much different than the old fire truck......

Please check out the website and like it on Facebook, while you there.

I'm introducing a very nifty W463 emergency tool within the next day or so. A real must have one, for the serious Overland/Adventurer like you are.

Watch out for it.

http://www.g-wagenaccessories.com/

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
What a nice set-up you have now, Jeremy.

So much different than the old fire truck......

Please check out the website and like it on Facebook, while you there.

I'm introducing a very nifty W463 emergency tool within the next day or so. A real must have one, for the serious Overland/Adventurer like you are.

Watch out for it.

http://www.g-wagenaccessories.com/

Thank you Karl, you helped!

Yes, different than the classic fire truck W460.

Liked!

I look forward to seeing the emergency tool!

po-porsche

Your truck looks great. And, I love what you are doing - de-bling is the way to go. I did the same thing as soon as I got mine.

However, you know you didn't need to blast and repaint the grill. Those were just stickers. I just pealed them off and then used goo-gone to get the remaining glue off. Same with the stripes on the side molding. That is just a sticker they put over the black molding. It peals off (rather easily on hot summer days).

The next thing I'm going to do is to smoke the side markers. Although, your post has be a bit cautious about this ;)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Your truck looks great. And, I love what you are doing - de-bling is the way to go. I did the same thing as soon as I got mine.

However, you know you didn't need to blast and repaint the grill. Those were just stickers. I just pealed them off and then used goo-gone to get the remaining glue off. Same with the stripes on the side molding. That is just a sticker they put over the black molding. It peals off (rather easily on hot summer days).

The next thing I'm going to do is to smoke the side markers. Although, your post has be a bit cautious about this ;)

Thanks! Any link to better pics of yours?

I wasn't aware of that. I tried to peel the chrome lines off but they wouldn't budge. The paint shop said they had to sandblast it off (before they did the work)--I guess they didn't know it was stickers either. Oh well, got a newly painted grille.

I prefer the "filled-in" channel of the OEM side trim vs nothing in there.

No issues with smoking the side markers. Will you still be running bulbs? I am not running bulbs and just cancel out the front marker light bulb warning when my headlights are on. The price of cool. :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles