O'erlanderwagen build

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Just curious, why don't you trust the LC for long drives? Is it just abused and tired? Having owned both, I would trust both of our old 80 Series and our current 100 with myself (and my family's) lives - in fact, I have and I do. Not trying to troll, your statement just stood out for me. In general, over a lifetime of Toyota (LC only) and Mercedes (many types) ownership, I would tend to say the LCs are bulletproof, the MBs not always so.

BTW, this is a great build, looking very nice and purposeful for a 463 (sorry, I'm a bit biased toward 460s, hehe...)

Depends which components we're talking about being bulletproof.

Thanks Derek! I love the simplicity of the W460 but it didn't make sense for me to mod the snot out of it vs find a loving home for it's classic state.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Got my custom front shock covers on to keep the shock shafts from getting dinged by rocks;
DSCN914-vi.jpg

Drilled the lock cylinder out of the factory tire cover and mounted the 5th Hutchinson/tire;
DSCN0913-vi.jpg

Installing the RTT onto the rack and rack onto the truck, making custom brackets for the awning-rack, mounting fridge/PowerPack, etc on Tuesday. Will post more pics then.

traveller09

Height?

Hey Jeremy,

Do me a favor, since I am considering similar mods to my future G. When you are all said and done, take a few height measurements for me. With your wheels/tires and the lift what is the overall height, then add the rack, and finally with your roof top tent. I think it will fit in my garage loaded (you better lock your garage :) ), I am just wonder about the common parking garage.

David

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Hey Jeremy,

Do me a favor, since I am considering similar mods to my future G. When you are all said and done, take a few height measurements for me. With your wheels/tires and the lift what is the overall height, then add the rack, and finally with your roof top tent. I think it will fit in my garage loaded (you better lock your garage :) ), I am just wonder about the common parking garage.

David

Will certainly do David!

owhiting

Supporting Sponsor
My 110 has gone to live with someone else, and I am a bit jittery suffering through Rover withdrawal. I am interested in the G wagens and these type of build threads really inspire me to try a G.

Thanks for sharing.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
My 110 has gone to live with someone else, and I am a bit jittery suffering through Rover withdrawal. I am interested in the G wagens and these type of build threads really inspire me to try a G.

Thanks for sharing.

LMK if you have any specific questions. They aren't perfect vehicles (W461 euro G's are hehe) but they're awesome and very unique like 110's.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Finally was able to schedule some time to get the rack put together, customized, installed.

Prepping for a scratch-free and quiet setup(that is factory Mercedes felt BTW, stuff is awesome! :) );
DSCN09525-vi.jpg

Since my setup was going to be a bit unique(Autohome Columbus with the FrontRunner SS camp table underneath), we had to build spacers to space the table down further towards the G's roof so that the bottom of the F.R. Maggiolina mounts and the threads of the carriage bolts would clear the table. Luckily there was barely enough room(more on that later). We built these out of black UHMW, radius'd edges, countersunk holes. They turned out very well. (keep in mind these pics are showing the underside of the rack)
DSCN0953-vi.jpg

More felt on the F.R. "Z" slide brackets for the SS camp table, again so that it keeps the table rattle-free and snug;
DSCN0954-vi.jpg

F.R. wind deflector and 4 of their spotlight mounts;
DSCN0955-vi.jpg

Front Runner components are the shiz. Everything fits together SO well, they provide full instructions if you need, all quality hardware, etc.
DSCN0957-vi.jpg

I'm very blessed that work has a few overhead cranes. Without it, the RTT/rack install(~200lbs) would have been a major PITA.
DSCN0964-vi.jpg
DSCN0966-vi.jpg
Other blue pieces of tape are where we'll need to build custom brackets for the Fiamma F35Pro awning;
DSCN0968-vi.jpg

We like details (rubber vacuum caps cut down to act as caps over the leg fasteners);
DSCN0970-vi.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN0967-vi.jpg
    DSCN0967-vi.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
After our custom spacers, this was the clearance between the passenger side "Z" table slide bracket and the center of the roof(since I have the table offset to the driver's side to free up some future "real estate" on the pass side of the rack...and the center of the G roof bows outward like an arc)--yeah, really no clearance at all even though the table slides/table are rigidly mounted to the rack.
View attachment 104198
So, we clearanced the pass side a bit just to give us some more room;
DSCN0977-vi.jpg

This is the best mod F.R. makes!
DSCN0978-vi.jpg

Aaaaand it's bed time;
DSCN0971-vi.jpg

Entdecker clone?
DSCN0972-vi.jpg
DSCN0975-vi.jpg

After staring at this pic, I decided to make a modification;
DSCN0976-vi.jpg
There, that's better(had our vinyl guy lay some satin black vinyl on the edges of the table so that it's less evident there is a table in there. I also riveted 2 handles to the end of the table to help pull the table out of the sliders since with all of the felt we installed in there, the table is so snug it's difficult to pull the table out without any handles)--and yes, it was raining yesterday in Portland in June, although it was sunny/gorgeous today;
DSCN0979-vi.jpg

Now on the list before the annual G-Treffen GTG next weekend is;
--Build a custom bracket off RR of rack for sand flag
--Mount Nat'l Luna fridge
--Mount Nat'l Luna PowerPack
--Another Fiamma awning, for the side of my house, since the G won't fit inside my garage anymore(it's ~94" from ground to top of RTT David).

A big thanks to Jon, Ryan and Tommy, as well as MikeSerpe of GWagen Preserve and especially Paul from Equipt--best service/support/products in the industry!!

Attachments

• DSCN0970-vi.jpg
    DSCN0970-vi.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Nice! I have always loved the G Wagon since my first day in Germany, back then it was West Germany. Looking forward to seeing it at the WA Rally!

zimm

Expedition Leader
good job dude. a lotta grey for me, but a nice bombproof layout. now all you need is a beer gut and you could be mistaken for karl. :)

you just spent 45,000 to do what our fathers did in an f150 and a colman tent..... :) dont think about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles