O'erlanderwagen build

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Jeremy,

I'll try and get some good pics. It will be my first time and I'm sure all of the cool vehicles are overwhelming.

You mentioned G-wagen cornering on Mikes thread. Have you looked into the rear sway bar set up for your G? I have one and it keeps the vehicle very flat on corners. It works great on mine and with the lower CG of yours I'm sure it would be amazing. Just a thought...

William

Thanks William.

Rear swaybar isn't available from MB, only ORC(aftermarket).

McBride

Adventurer
Thanks William.

Rear swaybar isn't available from MB, only ORC(aftermarket).

Jeremy,

I believe they are still available for a 460/461 from MB - I just received my back up rear swaybar struts from them. My mechanic said he can get the whole setup.

Is the 463 different?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Jeremy,

I believe they are still available for a 460/461 from MB - I just received my back up rear swaybar struts from them. My mechanic said he can get the whole setup.

Is the 463 different?

I'm not aware of any RSB on a W463. Haven't found anything in EPC.

paroxysym

Adventurer
it truly is amazing what can be done with a G-wagen. thank you for the build and keep up the good work.

did i miss what you did with the spare tire?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
it truly is amazing what can be done with a G-wagen. thank you for the build and keep up the good work.

did i miss what you did with the spare tire?

Thank you, will do!

It mounts to the custom bracket as seen on pg20;
IMG_1925-vi.jpg

abloggs

Great inspiring build! Putting together my own project. 82'W460 & Maggiolona grand tour. Any advice on mounting rtt? Either frontrunner roof bars (2 or 4?) vs the full frontrunner slim rack? Thinking the rack is overkill considering the rrt takes up the all the rack space? Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

abloggs

How much clearance do you have under the rack? Im considering going with a lower profile look, with 15mm standoffs/feet. Obviously downside would be losing ability to store a folding table underneath against having a more streamlined appearance. Do you think the height of the frontrunner is just right?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Great inspiring build! Putting together my own project. 82'W460 & Maggiolona grand tour. Any advice on mounting rtt? Either frontrunner roof bars (2 or 4?) vs the full frontrunner slim rack? Thinking the rack is overkill considering the rrt takes up the all the rack space? Any thoughts?

Thanks!
I went with the full FR Slimline rack in case the RTT ever comes off(which it really won't at this point), I could use the full rack to stand on, load other gear on, etc. That being said, even though my RTT stays on(and the entire setup stays on) the truck year-round, the easy flexibility of making custom brackets and just bolting them to the Slimline rack makes everything very straightforward. So if you just had roof bars, it'd be much more complicated to build brackets off them to hang stuff (like my Rigid LED's, Maxtrax, awning, shovel, axe). So I suppose it comes down to that; will you be mounting anything else to the roof bars or just the RTT?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
How much clearance do you have under the rack? Im considering going with a lower profile look, with 15mm standoffs/feet. Obviously downside would be losing ability to store a folding table underneath against having a more streamlined appearance. Do you think the height of the frontrunner is just right?

Yes, just baaaaaaaarely enough for the F.R. SS camp table to slide in between roof and rack, due to the slight curvature of the roof. IIRC the table is 1.5" thick??
Again, I have the F.R. "tall" version of the Slimline1 rack and I'm very glad I got it vs the non-tall, so that my table will stealthily fit underneath the rack(a smart design feature of the F.R. rack).

abloggs

Cheers, yeah it's a hard decision. Seeing as the full rack is a modular kit I suspect it should be possible to construct a simple 4 roof bar system from the parts. I might revert to this in the future and then use the spare parts to make a smaller rack for on top of the roof tent.

Is that the 2.4m rack you have? The model I was pointed to (KRGW004L 1474 x 2166) is shorter at 2.16m. I think the extra space if only for a foothold around the tent would be useful.

silverstone

With the spare carrier in the cargo area, where have you relocated your National Luna Power Pack? Do you have any pics on it? I've built a simple cargo box in the rear area, and am trying to decide if it should go in under the shelf or over the shelf. Are you keeping yours pretty modular so you can move it around easily?

Mike

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Cheers, yeah it's a hard decision. Seeing as the full rack is a modular kit I suspect it should be possible to construct a simple 4 roof bar system from the parts. I might revert to this in the future and then use the spare parts to make a smaller rack for on top of the roof tent.

Is that the 2.4m rack you have? The model I was pointed to (KRGW004L 1474 x 2166) is shorter at 2.16m. I think the extra space if only for a foothold around the tent would be useful.

The new F.R. SlimlineII is much more modular than my SlimlineI in that the slats are removable from the rack.

Yes, 2.4M. Just barely enough room for the Columbus Variant, its latch clears the rack by 1/16", then barely enough space for the Rigid50" on the front.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
With the spare carrier in the cargo area, where have you relocated your National Luna Power Pack? Do you have any pics on it? I've built a simple cargo box in the rear area, and am trying to decide if it should go in under the shelf or over the shelf. Are you keeping yours pretty modular so you can move it around easily?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes, I'm keeping mine modular so I can move it around as needed.
The surface of the top of the red cargo box, Nat'l Luna PP, and my ARB air compressor isn't flat, but my dog sits on his bed on top of the red box and I can pile gear around him and strap it down. It works for now. A drawer system with platform in back would be ideal but the top of the red box is the same height as the LR seat when folded down, so this current arrangement allows me to stealth camp if absolutely needed.

Here's a pic;
GearTireCarrier-vi.jpg

abloggs

Hi, any chance you could measure the highest point of your frontrunner from the roof. I'm looking at max 12cm clearance above roof in my basement carpark :(

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Hi, any chance you could measure the highest point of your frontrunner from the roof. I'm looking at max 12cm clearance above roof in my basement carpark :(

Sorry, been slammed. Will measure soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles