O'erlanderwagen build

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I see you occasionally, mornings around 715 on Beaverton Hillsdale right at Target.
Good looking truck! Nice to see someone go a different route with a G-Wagen.

What are you driving, the silver lifted FJ with the Hawaiian islands sticker and custom plate?
Thanks much!

nkladwig

No usually a work truck, ford ranger. I have spotted you from my personal rig as well, white 07 quad cab dodge ram cummins with a black Softopper.
Your truck has that unassuming but capable look to it - I like it.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
No usually a work truck, ford ranger. I have spotted you from my personal rig as well, white 07 quad cab dodge ram cummins with a black Softopper.
Your truck has that unassuming but capable look to it - I like it.

I've seen a silver QuadCab Ram w/ black Softopper on B-H Hwy. too!
Thanks much. I'll honk and wave the next time I see you.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Another mod made to the O'erlandewagen this last week....3M has a new Crystalline window film out, rejects solar energy/heat, rejects 99.9% UV, etc. I went with the 90%(not shown on the link) as it's almost perfectly clear(ie non-tinted). The aces at Kingpin in Wilsonville installed it for me on all 8 windows(including front windshield);
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...me/Products/WindowFilm/CrystallineWindowFilm/
www.kingpincaraudio.com

The difference is night/day(or should I say cool/hot). First test was today; was about 70deg in Portland, just a gorgeous spring day. We went to the zoo for about 5hrs, kept the G buttoned up, no factory sunshade deployed, parked into the sun. Came back 5hrs later, the truck normally would be blazing hot inside....with the 3M 90% Crystalline, the truck was amazingly cool inside. Not cold mind you, but honestly cool.

I mainly got the film for my dog as he's often with me in the rig and this way he'll be able to stay in the rig for longer, especially when I vent the windows a touch.

For anyone trying to reduce the heat in their rig, beyond the other positive attributes this film provides, I HIGHLY recommend it.

Nolden bi-LED headlamps should arrive soon, they're finishing the custom bucket ring.
Have the Rigid Industries 50" E-Series light bar and D2 Dually mockups(thanks Tim at Kingpin!) to build brackets for all the new aux lights....can't wait for it to be day at night!

PS--no pics of the mod as the film is clear. ;)

krnnerdboy

Adventurer
I was just having a discussion with someone about the crystalline 3m tint! I was quoted 300 for a tint job on a 2 dr car minus the windshield. After your review I think I'll option for the windshield as well

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Im excited about these new 7" LED, why a custom ring? Standard chrome DOT ones dont work? Cant wait to see how they work for you.

They needed to modify the OE ring for fitment with their bi-LED, so they CAD-designed a new ring which will come with the lights. I'm very impressed with their methods, and am really looking forward to these lights!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I was just having a discussion with someone about the crystalline 3m tint! I was quoted 300 for a tint job on a 2 dr car minus the windshield. After your review I think I'll option for the windshield as well

Oh it's amazing. Definitely get the front windshield too, however know that if you wear polarized sunglasses, you'll see prisms at times, depending on sun angle. I haven't found it to be too bothersome.
I will still deploy my OEM sunshade if the sun is coming directly into the front of the G as the film reduces but doesn't 100% eliminate solar heat, so the sunshade would help keep the interior cooler even more.

PS--which chassis M6?
Will you be getting the 3M Crystal on the G and Hundy?

krnnerdboy

Adventurer
Well the windshield idea is out for cars with heads up displays. The tint won't reflect unless you do a cutout. I wanted to do it on my z06 first and then my wife's newly acquired f30 to see the results to see if its worth the premium before the fleet gets it :)

I have the e63 m6 but its about to be traded in for a 991, God willing :)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Well the windshield idea is out for cars with heads up displays. The tint won't reflect unless you do a cutout. I wanted to do it on my z06 first and then my wife's newly acquired f30 to see the results to see if its worth the premium before the fleet gets it :)

I have the e63 m6 but its about to be traded in for a 991, God willing :)

Ah, that makes sense.
C6 Z06?
F30(gorgeous) too along with the E63? Such great choices.
991 will be fun. 997 C2S factory aero here. Fun with ze Germans!

krnnerdboy

Adventurer
Yes sir, c6 z06. I had a 997.1 but it was a base model :/ it was an amazing car but i just couldn't tame it on the track and my driving style wouldn't allow me to drive a Porsche. I'm hoping the 991 is more like a mid engined car to suit me or I'll have to skip this one for a cayman. But I'm not sold on this electric steering just yet!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Yes sir, c6 z06. I had a 997.1 but it was a base model :/ it was an amazing car but i just couldn't tame it on the track and my driving style wouldn't allow me to drive a Porsche. I'm hoping the 991 is more like a mid engined car to suit me or I'll have to skip this one for a cayman. But I'm not sold on this electric steering just yet!

Very nice choices.
I think the new 981 CaymanS is the best Porsche for the money, best looking too(ala CGT).

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Bi-LED headlights are being custom made, almost done I hope(they had to rob parts off the Osram assembly line for my black chrome units). Definitely looking forward to them!

Also, I used some Counteract wheel balancing beads(required disassembling the wheels)....worked for about a week, smooth as silk from 55-65mph, until the wheels started seeping air over a few days. Back to the wheel guy, Hutchinson o-ring re-sealed(wasn't done when Counteract installed as thought the o-ring would still seal up ok), no wheel leaks now....but randomnly about 57mph the steering wheel wobble is back dammit!, although not as bad as before. Maybe some of the beads were lost in the wheel repair work, unsure....ugh, and I was so excited that the Counteract had fixed the shimmy. I may lower tire pressures and see if that helps as the leaking wheels were running lower tire pressures at the time they were leaking.

Last edited:

Dave22

Regarding the hutchies

I had two out of four that required a lot more weight and the tire was visibly wobbling on the balancer. Even tried different tires 31" thinking it was the tire...tried pressures from 40-22psi

Had the same shimmy as you describe. I sent two of the wheels back to be checked, Hutchinson said nothing was found but sent two new wheels in exchange. Now it's as good as stock, zero shimmy, no wheel needed more than 3 oz to balance. This is with 33" big ATs. Just thought I'd mention it....you really should be glass smooth with those wheels if not something is wrong.

They should balance perfect on a machine, I'm not a fan of the beads myself seen and heard more bad than good.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Regarding the hutchies

I had two out of four that required a lot more weight and the tire was visibly wobbling on the balancer. Even tried different tires 31" thinking it was the tire...tried pressures from 40-22psi

Had the same shimmy as you describe. I sent two of the wheels back to be checked, Hutchinson said nothing was found but sent two new wheels in exchange. Now it's as good as stock, zero shimmy, no wheel needed more than 3 oz to balance. This is with 33" big ATs. Just thought I'd mention it....you really should be glass smooth with those wheels if not something is wrong.

They should balance perfect on a machine, I'm not a fan of the beads myself seen and heard more bad than good.

Thanks for the info Dave.

Update;
Shimmy thru the truck beginning at 57mph is currently gone. Thank goodness!!!

Here's the saga;
Had the 57mph+ shimmy with clip-on exterior wheel weights(can't use tape-on since I'm on a 16" wheel over G500 brakes, and the clearance from caliper-wheel is so close already). Tried different tire pressures, no difference. Had the Counteract bead media installed(wheels disassembled to install because of the special Hutchinson valve stem which prohibits the beads from going thru the valve stem), since some of the G's(seems like the earlier W460's vs later W463's like I have) have Hutchinson-wheel hub play(ie Hutchinson's maybe aren't perfectly hubcentric to the W460's?? Jury is still out on this) I taped(black duct tape) the inside centerbore of the Hutchinson's so that when the wheels are put on the hub, it's a snug fit. Was very careful to hand tighten Westfalia nuts(on H&R studs) in a star pattern so the wheel was centered on the hub. Shimmy was gone at this point, woot! However, over the next week a few of the Hutchinson's were leaking air pressure(installer of beads hadn't re-sealed the wheels with new o-rings as he thought the original would still provide a sufficient seal). So, wheels back over there, torn down again, re-sealed, didn't lose any beads, kept the same tape on the wheel centerbore but apparently wasn't as careful about making sure the tape was stuck fully to the centerbore. We kept the wheels/tires in the same locations as they came off....but shimmy was back. Damn!!! At this point I was hugely frustrated as the only change was re-sealing the wheels. RR wheel was still leaking a bit so finally when we had time to get it back on the lift we removed all wheels, moved RR to spare, spare to LF and LF to RR. Removed the black duct tape from centerbore of all wheels and what I noticed was that the tape had bunched up when we had last installed the wheels, so there were 1/4" ridges of tape on the centerbore of wheels. Hmmm, could that be it? So I then re-taped with black gaffer's(ie cloth) tape and instead of having the tape only on the centerbore(and cutting off the extra width of it which stuck in towards the center of vehicle(ie backside of wheel) like I did with the black duct tape, I cut the excess width in a fan pattern and wrapped those tape "legs" in over the very center of the wheel(near lug holes). This way, when placing the wheel on the hub, the tape can't bunch up as it did before since the tape legs are secured to the actual center perimeter of wheel(think of a spider and it's legs being all tape vs just a round circle of tape). Drove the G the next day to G-Treffen(~5hrs to Coos Bay), much on I-5, speeds up to 68mph or so, and no 57mph+ shimmy!!! At 64mph it feels like a lesser shimmy from the back(maybe that LF wheel/tire is out of round?), but at least it's not nearly as horrible as before and thankfully not thru the steering wheel which was the worst part. So yeah, the shimmy solved with some tape? I know what you're thinking...but I would say it was the combination of Counteract beads and taping the wheel centerbores in a spider pattern.

Sorry no pics yet of the taping procedure--my camera just came back to life. LMK if anyone has any questions.

PS--bi-LED 7" round headlights in black chrome are finally en route. They had mistakenly sent black-black which is for the US Army. These lights (available in chrome, black chrome, black-black) can fit G's, Jeep's, Rovers, even VW's! LMK if there are any questions on them. I'll post pics of their install when they arrive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles