OEM Style Jacks – Input Needed

aardvarcus

Adventurer
Hello all,

I have been doing some research on compact OEM-style jacks (mainly bottle jacks, screw jacks, and scissor jacks), but I haven’t been able to find a lot of good information. I have seen many varying opinions on the “best” jack of this style, but not a lot of good data on them. This makes it hard for someone looking to upgrade to a better/taller/stronger OEM style jack to make an informed decision. I am hoping everyone could take a few minutes to post what OEM style jack you are using, and a few key details on the jack. The details I think we need would be:

Make/Model of jack:
Mechanism/ Style:
Collapsed height:
Extended height:
Weight rating:
Stability when extended:
Other key features:
Final thoughts:

If we get enough responses this will be a valuable resource. OEM style jacks have earned a place on most expo vehicles, even if it is just to change a tire, so I would also request that comments discussing the vast superiority of other types of equipment be kept to a minimum.

I will go first.

Make/model of jack: OEM Jack from Gen. 2 Toyota Tacoma (2005)
Mechanism/ style: Bottle style double extension screw jack (non-hydraulic)
Collapsed height: Under 8”
Extended height: 18.5”
Weight rating: 3086 lbs. (1400kg)
Stability when extended: With base on a hard surface, there was noticeable slop (7/8”) at the top when extended.
Other key features: The round top had curved impressions to seat on the axle tube.
Final thoughts: Probably ok for a lighter vehicle, but couldn’t recommend with all the slop in it.

Robert Bills

Explorer
This is what I carry in my Nissan Xterra:

Factory scissors jack
mK_pLKZh65dPkL-Y69sZauQ.jpg

Walmart 6 ton bottle jack
0061526890663_180X180.jpg

Bogert Manufacturing "Safe Jack" bottle jack recovery kit
Safe_Jack_Bottle_5193ab6ab9cec.png

Bogert Manufacturing compact jack stand
jack-stand-in-use.jpg

48" Hi-Lift Jack

10175-md.jpg

Hi-Lift Offroad jack base

orb_l.jpg

Hi-Lift Jack tube adaptor (for use with sliders)

TetraxTubeAdapter_zps06f1c95e.jpg

I'm not sure if my factory scissors jack will be of much use now that my truck is lifted and sports larger tires, but there is no compelling reason not to carry it in the factory location under the rear seat. At least it will still be where it belongs rather than lost somewhere in the garage when it comes time to retire my Xterra.

I find the 6-ton bottle jack and Bogert jack accessories to be much more useful than a Hi-Lift for tire changing and almost all other purposes. The bottle jack recovery kit makes its use quite stable on rough terrain, and the bottle jack fits well into the Hi-Lift offroad jack base for use on soft or uneven ground. I bought the Bogert compact jack stand (8x10 version) because it uses the same extensions as the Bogert bottle jack recovery kit and because I am more comfortable doing a trail repair with the rig supported by a jack and jack stand rather than a jack alone. (And because I thought it was a cool item.)

I still carry my Hi-Lift jack hidden under the rear seat, and have a tube adaptor so I can jack up my rig from the sliders. Without the adaptor there would be no way to use the Hi-Lift jack on an Xterra at all (plastic bumper covers). I would probably just leave it at home, but I've had it for many years and it does have a use as a come-along.

Last edited:

AndrewP

Explorer
The Toyota factory screw jacks are excellent for what they are. I carry two and also use them as jack stands when needed. They can't fail or go in reverse like a hydraulic jack. Even with 35 inch tires, a short piece of 2x6 or the high-lift offroad base and it's perfect for a tire change.

While they are all good, I like the older ones (pre 1980 roughly) that are cast nodular iron and very heavy duty. Don't know the rating, but the one in my 80 series has lifted a fully loaded truck corner to allow a tire change on a bunch of occasions. People used to give them away, but now they go for serious money on ebay. There is even a good thread on ih8mud with lots of additional details, parts numbers and the like.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj-series-oem-jack-reference.741059/

LR Max

Local Oaf
Land Rover actually had a pretty awesome bottle jack in the Disco 1s, Disco 2s, and RRCs. I now have one in my truck because my old bottle jack crapped out (probably just needs fluid).

I don't know the height, but they are fairly capable. Also designed to go under an axle tube. I had no problem jacking up my truck while on 34s (garage test). Seem to have a little bit more left in it after that. I directly put it on the axle tube.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Land Rover actually had a pretty awesome bottle jack in the Disco 1s, Disco 2s, and RRCs. I now have one in my truck because my old bottle jack crapped out (probably just needs fluid).

I don't know the height, but they are fairly capable. Also designed to go under an axle tube. I had no problem jacking up my truck while on 34s (garage test). Seem to have a little bit more left in it after that. I directly put it on the axle tube.

Second this. The Italian-made double-extension Land Rover jacks are excellent for vehicles with solid axles.

aardvarcus

Adventurer
I like the looks of the Bogart kit, I am wanting to piece together something similar. My biggest problem was deciding which bottle jack to base my kit off of.

Well, I took a chance and decided to get a jack off ebay from an FJ-60/FJ-80 Land Cruiser. My jack just got delivered, so I took the measurements.

Make/Model of jack: OEM Jack from FJ-60/FJ-80 Land Cruiser
Mechanism/ Style: Bottle style double extension screw jack (non-hydraulic)
Collapsed height: 7.5”
Extended height:16.5”
Weight rating: 3968 lbs. (1800kg)
Stability when extended: With base on a hard surface, there was minor slop (1/4”) at the top when extended.
Other key features: The round top had a curved impression to seat on the axle tube.
Final thoughts: High quality, sturdy jack.

Well, this jack doesn't go as high, but it is way more stable than the one out of my Tacoma. I think I am going to build an off-road base for it.

I am still hoping that we can get the specs on some more jacks, would really like to see some numbers on the Land Rover jacks.

landsharkman

Adventurer
I use one of these
US Jack
http://www.usjack.com/products.html
Hi-Range models provide up to 33% more lifting height
over standard hydraulic models. Hi-Range models
also feature larger rams, larger bases and larger pumps than the comparable standard model.
The intended use of all these models is for heavy-duty trucks,
and as original equipment for manufacturers of many products.
Hi Range Bottle Jacks
D-51013
8 Ton
8 D-51013 closed 11" just hydraulic tube height 19-1/4" with adj screw all the way up 23-1/2" No bas size 6-1/2" 5-1/8"

http://www.usjack.com/products/High Range Bottle Jacks.pdf

plus my Hi-Lift extreme

landsharkman

Adventurer
Love my jack, but have been looking for a jack stand for some time the safe jack stand looks perfect, thanks

Last edited:

Streaky

Observer
For Land Rover or any 4x4 for that matter...use the OEM supplied telescopic bottle jack from a Land Rover Discovery series I....it's fantastic! In fact I know some people who scour the breakers yards for these jacks so they can use them on Jeeps, Land Cruisers etc.

For my Ford I use a 20ton Air Jack...it makes life so much easier than having to crawl underneath and pump the jack handle up & down. Of course you need a good air supply...but I have that already to run the CTIS.

Attachments

• Jack 001.jpg
    Jack 001.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 22

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior