OEM or aftermarket trailer brake controller for an F150?

trae

Adventurer
Hi everyone,

My 2010 F150 came prewired for a trailer brake controller - as far I understand it's a simple plugin. Now, should I bother with the OEM controller which is roughly 3-4 times the cost ($400 vs $100)? I know OEM controller will integrate nicely visually and it will display some info on the dash, but apart from that does it provide any extra functionality? Ford claims that this generation F150s have advanced trailer sway control - is it a function of the truck itself or the brake controller? In any case, I'm thinking of getting one of the etrailer controllers here: http://www.etrailer.com/bc-2010_Ford_F-150.htm and any advice will be appreciated!

GDSQDCR

Adventurer
I have the Prodigy/Tekonsha in my 04 Sierra and my work 03 Excursion. Simple to use. I like them and the guys who tow with my Excursion have had no complaints. It really is no different than the OEM in the 2013 F250 we have.

Thanks!
Anthony

java

Expedition Leader
I have the same tekonsha/prodigy in my 4runner, no complaints, just set the brake level and forget it. Great controller, very nicely proportional.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Like the others I have the Tekonsha Prodigy and have no complaints.
I don't know anything about the factory brake control unit. Might be worth a trip over to a f-150 specific site and doing some research.

Darrell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94