Odd Wiring Question - Jeep JKU and Xventure XV-3

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
Hey everyone,

Having an issue with lighting for my XV-3. I installed the Mopar 7-pin wiring harness on my JKU last night, and the trailer's lighting didn't work properly. Here's what is happening:

-When my Jeep's lights are on, the trailer lights do not function (brakes, indicator, running lights)
-When my Jeep's lights are off, the trailer lights do function

This was a bit of a bummer when trying to prep for a trip next week (VOR). My uncle went over with his JKU w/ 7 pin wiring, and the trailer lights functioned properly. I believe it has also worked with another vehicle (Ford F250), but not confirmed.

Now that I know the issue likely lies with my Jeep's wiring, any ideas on where to start? I will be troubleshooting after work, but we followed the install instructions by the book for wiring.

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
Thanks for the link! 99% sure I wired it correctly (it's a plug n play wiring harness) but my plan is to check all connections tonight. Need to get myself a multimeter, too.

ottsville

Observer
If everything functions properly with the jeep lights off, wiring should be correct. I vaguely recall someone in another forum having to up their fuse size when they plugged their trailer in. Can't recall what vehicle it was though.

You have the correct jeep adapter right?

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
Thanks guys, haven't had a chance to work on this since posting unfortunately. Certainly could be an issue with LEDs vs my Jeeps' non-LED lighting.

Ottsville - good call. I used a Mopar 7 pin wiring kit, so should be correct wiring. I'll have to look into upping the fuse size, any guess on where that thread you mentioned is located at? Will google around next week.

ottsville

Observer
I can't remember where I saw it but I think it was in a closed facebook group for a certain camper of which I am no longer a member.

It is weird that it works when your jeep lights are off but not on. Definitely want to hear what it works out to be.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
It is possible to plug in the harness to both sides on the back of the JK. From what I remember it has to plug into the side where the charcoal canister is located. Because the canister restrict the amount of space available to plug the harness in people often decide to plug it in on the other side, including some dealerships I might add. If it’s plugged into the incorrect side it will not work correctly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior