Odd choice Overlander? Fiat 500x trekking.

Fahrvegnugen

So I’m looking for a softroader/new daily driver that can still hold its own on mild dirt roads and sandy beaches. I have a wrangler for real off-roading. Budgets under 15k so that puts me in used Jeep renegade territory but it also opens up its Italian twin the 500x. It’s functionality identical to the renegades except it doesn’t offer the low range. You can however select the awd to be always on instead of auto. I’ve seen videos of it being tested lifting wheels and it seems to work as well as or better then other tiny utes. The main benefit is due to perceived reliability issues due to the fiat name it can be had in low mileage versions significantly cheaper then renegades. The 2 inch lift for the renegades fit them and I think one lifted on all terrain tires would be a unique vehicle. I love being different. A Nissan Juke also crossed my mind but they’re supposedly way less rugged for dirt road use and tiny inside. Anyone own one and have any opinions?
Pros:
Low buy in cost
Cool styling(my opinion)
Crossover with Jeep so some aftermarket support.
Cons:
Smaller cargo area, but I’m mostly solo so can fold rear seats down and roof racks and hitched are available.
It’s a fiat, build quality isn’t the best but it uses mostly Chrysler parts so drivetrain reliability is less of an issue.
9 speed auto is weird. Haven’t driven one yet so I cannot comment but it’s the most common complaint about it. Not unreliable just shifts to much. No manual available with awd unfortunately. Maybe larger tires would actually help this.

Just brainstorming and window shopping now but if anyone can offer suggestions for other small softroaders that can be found on a budget with decent mileage I’d love to hear opinions. Kl cherokees are to expensive or high mileage with the good trim package plus they look odd to me. VW tiguans fall are affordable but I’m skeptical of VW reliability and off road abilities.

Attachments

• D5C6E24E-3BE6-4B6F-B728-53FD1EB6F615.jpeg
    D5C6E24E-3BE6-4B6F-B728-53FD1EB6F615.jpeg
    265.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
If you plan a rtt on it I’d say no. Those things are rollover mobiles as it is. The extra weight up high would likely make them pretty unstable on the turntable.

Fahrvegnugen

Probably want to make sure you have a good road side service plan if you go Fiat. No offense, just sayin.
You have experience with this or just repeating the anecdotes everyone else does about fiat. It’s the same exact engine and transmission as in every Jeep renegade, awd system is the same. Reliability hasn’t been an issue for fiat, fit and finish,sure it’s a bit cheap inside and rattly but I’m used to a stripped down Jeep with no carpet or sound deadening, this would be an upgrade.
Subaru Forester...
low buyin
Good support
Looks good in ralley livery
Subaru, in my opinion only, make boring cars(minus wrx and brz but not looking for them) for treehuggers that are way to expensive for what you get. Plus that goofy boxer motor has head gasket problems. To get a forester in my budget I have to look at 70,000 mike variants. The fiats have around 30.
If you plan a rtt on it I’d say no. Those things are rollover mobiles as it is. The extra weight up high would likely make them pretty unstable on the turntable.
I don’t plan for a rtt but I can’t see it being any more unstable then my lifted wrangler with the rtt. Drive sensibly and you’ll be fine.

perterra

Adventurer
You have experience with this or just repeating the anecdotes everyone else does about fiat. It’s the same exact engine and transmission as in every Jeep renegade, awd system is the same. Reliability hasn’t been an issue for fiat, fit and finish,sure it’s a bit cheap inside and rattly but I’m used to a stripped down Jeep with no carpet or sound deadening, this would be an upgrade.

Like I said, no offense intended. No experience with the 500X, just newer Fiats in general. Lots of little problems with one of the gals at work, and a friend bought one that had a transaxle leak from day one until the day he got rid of it. A Fort Worth Fiat dealer had a special last year, buy one new Fiat, get a used one free. And honestly the Renegade is not what I would call confidence inspiring.

Though I'm not sure I would consider a turbo Forester boring and the Fiat an exciting ride, but everyone has a different opinion and you are entitled to yours.

Just keep a good pair of walking shoes in it and you should be fine

Fahrvegnugen

When I say boring with the forester, I mean interior and exterior styling. I have no doubt it’s much more fun to drive then a fiat but it looks like every other car on the road.

I didn’t take offense I’m just genuinely curious, so few own them it’s hard to get an opinion. People on fiat forums generally love them but that’s enthusiasts. Same on any forum we all love our car and overlook it’s faults.
To be more clear on my intended use it won’t be a true Overlander by any means. Just a commuter that I’d use occasionally to drive on a beach or gravel roads. Any time I’d be going somewhere far out or on unimproved roads I’d take the wrangler.
I really wish nissans juke was better suited to mild off-road driving but everything I’ve read is it’s a road based awd system can’t do much beyond snow.
In the end I do seriously doubt I’ll end up in a fiat, probably end up with something like a compass or perhaps a base model grand Cherokee but it’s definitely on the test drive it list for now.

docwatson

Adventurer
I think the Juke would be just fine on the occasional beach or gravel road. There is a guy over in the Nissan sub-forum who took a Juke for 65k miles in the American West who could probably give you a better idea.

My guess is that either 500x or the Juke would take you those places. The Juke just has more history and better reputation.

perterra

Adventurer
When I say boring with the forester, I mean interior and exterior styling. I have no doubt it’s much more fun to drive then a fiat but it looks like every other car on the road.

I didn’t take offense I’m just genuinely curious, so few own them it’s hard to get an opinion. People on fiat forums generally love them but that’s enthusiasts. Same on any forum we all love our car and overlook it’s faults.
To be more clear on my intended use it won’t be a true Overlander by any means. Just a commuter that I’d use occasionally to drive on a beach or gravel roads. Any time I’d be going somewhere far out or on unimproved roads I’d take the wrangler.
I really wish nissans juke was better suited to mild off-road driving but everything I’ve read is it’s a road based awd system can’t do much beyond snow.
In the end I do seriously doubt I’ll end up in a fiat, probably end up with something like a compass or perhaps a base model grand Cherokee but it’s definitely on the test drive it list for now.

I had an 83 CJ7, in 83. One of the most fun vehicles I ever owned. Shelled 2 transmissions on 3 years, all the knobs pulled off the controls and the fuel gauge quit working twice. All in about 50,000 miles. Still it was a hoot to own. I have an 04 Toyota Tacoma, 180,000 miles, other than regular consumables I have put a power steering pump in it. Nothing else. My wife has an 17 Outback, lost a wheel bearing in the first 10,000 miles. It's a luck of the draw thing most times, though I think Toyota has earned their reputation, sometimes you have to pay stupid money for one.

Hell I had a 72 MGB GT that I loved, so I understand there is more to a car than reliable. But it's not much fun working on one from 8 pm Sunday until 3 am Monday morning so you can get to work at 8 am Monday. If it's not your only ride, go for it.

Fahrvegnugen

Yea man, I’m a die hard lifelong Jeep guy. Have had plenty of cjs and wranglers. I have 190,000 on my wrangler and have only done ball joints, cv joints and u joints in terms of non standard maintenance. Hell its got the original clutch in it still. I’m keeping my wrangler forever, but it’s time to get something more comfortable for everyday driving and weekend trips. Jeeps small suvs don’t appeal to me visually except the compass. Plus I’m ready to try something new.
Toyota would absolutely be an option if I could afford one. I had a first gen 4Runner I never should’ve sold. But the premium they fetch and their resale value is insane.

Did some more research and the juke may be more capable then I thought. It has torque vectoring and apparently you can have the awd on all the time. The Australians seem to like them for booming down outback dirt roads like a rally car. So now the biggest drawback to it is the fact that it only comes with a cvt auto. I prefer a manual but there’s so few non Jeep crossovers with manuals and awd. Pretty much Subaru is the only other one I’m aware of. I’m willing to get an auto but cvts scare me. Like I said I’m just going to have to test drive a ton of different vehicles to decide.

FlipperFla

I have had a MGB, MG Midget, Datsun 240Z and a 280Zx, Porsche 944 and a Fiat 124 Spyder. The one I had the most trouble with was the Fiat, bought it new, broke down constantly, absolute junk, when it was just a couple weeks old I went to roll the window down and the handle fell off! Seriously! It was so undependable you couldnt trust it for anything over a 100 mile trip. We have a Subaru Outback, super dependable, bulletproof. You should reconsider the fiat. This is just my opinion and not to insult you.

Mos6502

I have had a MGB, MG Midget, Datsun 240Z and a 280Zx, Porsche 944 and a Fiat 124 Spyder. The one I had the most trouble with was the Fiat, bought it new, broke down constantly, absolute junk, when it was just a couple weeks old I went to roll the window down and the handle fell off! Seriously! It was so undependable you couldnt trust it for anything over a 100 mile trip. We have a Subaru Outback, super dependable, bulletproof. You should reconsider the fiat. This is just my opinion and not to insult you.

Like, a 1970's Fiat 124?

FlipperFla

Like, a 1970's Fiat 124?
Thats the one. Dark Blue /w Tan Interior. Good looking car but a real POS! Just stupid ******** all the time. Speedometer cable breaking in about 2-3 months? Door handles falling off? Radio?.......never ending! I think I got the origional one“Tony” built! LOL! The most dependable one was the 240ZE9289C3C-BF71-4712-931E-15A53873D91D.jpeg

Last edited:

BlueLantern

I own a Nissan Juke. It is an absolute blast to drive on the road. I only recently got it so I have not had much to test out its AWD capabilities. Having said that I wouldn't hesitate to take it down a gravel road or beach. Beyond that I'm not so sure. As far as interior room. it is pretty small, but you said you go solo so if you drop the back seats it has a decent amount of room

docwatson

Adventurer
Rogue has a CVT with a little over 50k on it so far. I think the early ones were more problematic. Its certainly is different but several manufacturers are using them these days.

Flipper I am jealous of that Z. I've always wanted one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles