Oct 27 - 28, 2012: Swansea, AZ

Number 7

Adventurer
The group met in Wickenburg, AZ on Saturday morning and headed west on US 60 to Salome. In Salome we wove through town to Tank Pass Road, which was a little tricky to find, and where we stopped to air down. This was the 1st time I learned how to create a route on my Garmin Montana, and it worked really well. Even though I pretty much drove past every marked turn during the trip, I knew it immediately whenever it happened.

We took Tank Pass Road northwest from Salome through the Harcuvar Mountains into Butler Valley. Tank Pass Road is an easy trail that, although a little rocky near the summit, it is suitable for stock 4x4 vehicles. Near Salome on Tank Pass Rd:

DSCN1359.JPG

Just after the summit on Tank Pass Rd, going down the other side:

DSCN1365.JPG

On down the other side the trail smoothed out and was easy, even when we came to a washed out section. We found the go around which ended at a large berm we went over.

DSCN1372.JPG

DSCN1374.JPG

After crossing the berm we were on Butler Valley Road ********** in the middle of the farm fields. Google earth shows a nice shortcut road called 4E going through the fields, so I led everybody up that - until it became apparent we were headed right for a farmhouse! To avoid traipsing 5 Jeeps through the yard, we turned around and went farther west to N. McVay Road.

That is, after we found the illusive N. McVay Rd.! That was by far the hardest road to locate on this trip. We took a quick break, decided we'd wait to have lunch at Camp Bouse, and got going again. N. McVay Road is a road only in a vague sense in that it goes from point A to point B. It looks like it gets a lot of water and is not maintained, because it was it was pretty slow going the whole way to Transmission Line Road!

DSCN1379.JPG

Once on the Transmission Line Road we were very close to Camp Bouse where we stopped for lunch.

DSCN1383.JPG

We left Camp Bouse and drove northwest on the Transmission Line Road to Midway. Looking at a map, you might think that Midway is an old town or something, but it's just a 3 way intersection with a kiosk. At Midway, we took a sharp right up Lincoln Ranch Road, a turn I didn't miss . After about 10 miles we slowed down and started watching for Railroad Canyon trail, finally found the marker, and turned toward Swansea.

Railroad Canyon Trail pops out at Swansea. We got there plenty early to check out the town ruins before setting up camp. Driving and walking around I noticed the BLM has completed more work to preserve the town and for public safety. Restoration of the worker's cottage's has progressed, part of the road through the town has been repaired where it used to wash out, and the mine shafts have steel barriers over them now.

DSCN1401.JPG

Just ahead of this sign is where the road used to get washed out. Now it's shored up with wood beams:

DSCN1409.JPG

DSCN1428.JPG

Steel 'roof' over a mineshaft:

DSCN1432.JPG

Continued
V
V
V

Number 7

Adventurer
DSCN1387.JPG

We set up camp at a site next to the wash where Railroad Canyon Trail starts. After we pitched tents and everybody ate, we sat around the campfire visiting until bedtime. The weather was AWESOME!

DSCN1436.JPG

What a view!

DSCN1439.JPG

And there was a full moon:

DSCN1441.JPG

In the morning we took our time having coffee, walking around, visiting & packing. We went back up Railroad Canyon to Lincoln Ranch Road where we headed northeast. First burro sighting:

DSCN1447.JPG

Lincoln Ranch Road was a good boogie road, but I felt bad for the guys behind us getting dusted out so bad! Our next turn came up real fast and I flew past another one. So we turned around then went southeast on a pipeline road crossing the Buckskin Mountains then joining Bernard Mine Road as you near Alamo Lake. Many roads branch off this pipeline road and Lincoln Ranch Road; it would be a good place for 'splorin. The pipeline road was like a roller coaster; I got a lot of practice putting the Jeep into and out of 4 Low! Snack break at pipeline road turn-off:

DSCN1449.JPG

DSCN1452.JPG

Some of the hills were pretty steep, a couple even had bi-passes which didn't look any better. Then we reached the summit:

DSCN1455.JPG

More burros!

DSCN1457.JPG

We went past a big gas processing plant out in the middle of nowhere, and ultimately reached Alamo Road at 1 PM or so. We ate lunch while we aired up. From there we went back to US 60 and east to Wickenburg where we fueled up and said our goodbyes.

DSCN1459.JPG

It was a fun trip - a great way to spend a weekend for sure. There was lots of great sightseeing, conversation and laughs. Thanks everybody who came out to play - and thanks for putting up with me making you turn around.

Here's a link to all the pics I took >> Click Here

See you on the trail!
Diane

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Very nice writeup and looks like a good time with good friends.

I have always enjoyed the Swansea site and recommend it to tons of people as an easy place to play, see cool stuff & camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior