OBS FORD 350 PSD FWC FB Hawk build

amgvr4

Adventurer
I like the flatbed and wheels. I plan on flat bedding my truck at some point as well, keep on trucking!

Eldgen

Builder of Dreams
Here's a picture outside the shop just after bolting on the new wheels. And the flatbed is about 95% done.

View attachment 398942

Here's the "before shot"

View attachment 398943

Here it is backed in under the camper so we could decide on a color for the flatbed side skirts etc. The big space between the cab and camper is where the backpack box I'm building will go. It'll have a basic out door kitchen that slides out on the awning side.

View attachment 398945

Great Job on the Flatbed, I like the side skirts you made, I presume they are for aesthetics only or is there a more purposeful function? I look forward to seeing it loaded up so it will give me a better idea of what mine might look like.
2016-07-02 11.49.08.jpg
13913903_1238354749511023_5359883017367518049_o.jpg

offroadrolls

Observer
Great Job on the Flatbed, I like the side skirts you made, I presume they are for aesthetics only or is there a more purposeful function? I look forward to seeing it loaded up so it will give me a better idea of what mine might look like.
View attachment 404960
View attachment 404961

Yes the skirts are just for looks. The sliders on your OBS are cool and I like the idea of running a Cummins. I have a 93 12 valve but it's slated for a different project. In a couple weeks we take this one down for a wrap. So everything should be loaded up in early July. Then it'll just be the small stuff to finish it up.

offroadrolls

Observer
Since my last post nearly a month ago the project is nearly finished.........if there is such a thing. First was to finish the back pack box ends, lights and top.

IMG_2885.jpg
IMG_2886.jpg
IMG_2887.jpg
IMG_2888.jpg

Next, I'd been working with a reputable vinyl wrap company in Fort Collins CO. to do a "winter camo" wrap on the truck. My wife agreed to flip for this as I'm running low on funds at this point. Anyway, Matt at Action Signs gave us a killer deal because I volunteered to strip the truck down prior to the wrap. Here it is stripped down and then at action sign as the wrap is getting completed.

IMG_2922.jpg
IMG_2931.jpg

After getting it home, all the blacked out trim and door handles were installed along with the clear TS and marker lights I picked up on line.

IMG_2940.jpg

Next the back pack box was installed

IMG_2949.jpg

Prior to mounting the camper, I cut a couple sheets of some 1/4" corrugated PVC to lay on the flat bed as a vapor barrier. Originally it was thought that some rubber sheets would be used for this but the onlt reasonably priced rubber I could find was 3/4" thick and very heavy. The PVC is super light and best of all it was free. I've got my figures crossed that I don't have any issues with it.

IMG_2952.jpg

Last, the camper was mounted and the Jacks were removedIMG_2955.jpg.

offroadrolls

Observer
Here's a couple pictures as it sits today with the under bed boxes mounted. At this point the list to finish is: Nerf bars reinstalled, trailer hitch, spare tire and tools to change, roof rack basket on top of cab in front of camper and a front bumper and winch assembly. For this I'm trying to find an old school Warn winch bumper like on Pappa Wheelys. But, I'm not having much luck so I might end up building one as close to those as possible. If anyone knows of one somewhere please let me know. Thanks

IMG_2976.jpg

IMG_2977.jpg

Dave In Florida

Can you tell me what material you used for the frame and deck on your flat bed? And maybe how you mounted the deck to the frame? I'm going to build one, but never been around them to see how they go together.

offroadrolls

Observer
Can you tell me what material you used for the frame and deck on your flat bed? And maybe how you mounted the deck to the frame? I'm going to build one, but never been around them to see how they go together.

The flat bed was made with steel rectangular tubing to match up with the wood pads FWC uses on the bottom of their "flat bed camper". If you look back further in the thread there are some pictures. I used a combo of 1/8" and 1/4" wall steel. In retrospect I don't think the 1/4" was necessary, after all most steel flatbeds that you buy are 1/8" c channel with some 3/16" here and there. As stated previously, the deck material is 1/4" corrugated PVC sheeting. It's not mounted though, it's just laying there sandwiched between the frame of the flatbed and the camper. FWC puts 4 holes through the bottom of the camper and through the wood pads, one at each corner. I then used 4 grade eight 7" x 1/2" bolts, one at each corner along with thick fender washers and nylock grade 8 nuts to fasten the camper to the flatbed.

Absolutely love this! We are building a turbo 7.3 idi for my 1988 F250 and after that we want to do a very similar build. How do you like the 4wheel camper? We are looking at bundutec right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles