OBS F250/F350 Flatbed camper build

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
That’s the big question isn’t it. Seems hard to find any info in spring rates. From what I’ve found i thought somewhere in the 450lb range would be good for my build. But only time will tell.
Ha Ha, Yes, the big question. It needs to be stiff enough so you don't bounce down the trail but still allow the frame to twist. I saw one of those big overlanding rigs that had a system controlled by air I think that clamped the box down on the road, and allowed more freedom on the trail. Undamped springs have a tendency to move.

Chorky

Observer
Nice work you've done so far!

Depends what you mean by brick on wheels. After the reverse shackle and new steering box the truck feels pretty good for being 20 something ft long truck with a 4" lift and big 35's on it. I still need to install my track bar. I was told to let me leaf springs break in before installing it. Think its gonna feel pretty good after that.

That's good to hear. It's amazing how much of a difference the reversal kit makes. I also did the flip on the rear and have all sway bars removed. It rides better than new and plenty stable even when fully loaded to max GCVWR. Only potential issue is braking power. I would make sure you research some stuff on that as well. What did you do for shocks? I think that's the most important part to consider. I also chose to do some factory SD 250 springs instead of atlas custom ones after reading a few things (and considering time constraints). Depending on your own plan, its pretty solid, enough for the highway, and just a little stiff off highway.

Awesome man. Love those callens. Actually kind of been keeping at eye out for one on the cheap to throw on this truck since I am going to baja for new years and I highly doubt my custom camper is gonna be done by then.
Ha Ha, Yes, the big question. It needs to be stiff enough so you don't bounce down the trail but still allow the frame to twist. I saw one of those big overlanding rigs that had a system controlled by air I think that clamped the box down on the road, and allowed more freedom on the trail. Undamped springs have a tendency to move.

How would you go about even figuring that out? I always figured there was a spring specific to the bed mounts. Is this not the case? I'm curious, are you spring mounting all 4 corners, or just a pair?

longroad2nowhere

That’s interesting. Seems like it wouldn’t be that hard to create some kind of manual lock for the mounts. Maybe that’s something I’ll think about.

Unfortunately it feels like spring rate is something I’m just gonna have to play around with and see what happens.

longroad2nowhere

That's good to hear. It's amazing how much of a difference the reversal kit makes. I also did the flip on the rear and have all sway bars removed. It rides better than new and plenty stable even when fully loaded to max GCVWR. Only potential issue is braking power. I would make sure you research some stuff on that as well. What did you do for shocks? I think that's the most important part to consider. I also chose to do some factory SD 250 springs instead of atlas custom ones after reading a few things (and considering time constraints). Depending on your own plan, its pretty solid, enough for the highway, and just a little stiff off highway.

I've definitely considered braking power. The front brakes were actually upgraded on the dana 60 that I bought, which was a nice start. I know there is a company that makes a conversion to put disc on the rear, which is definitely on my to do list before finishing off the camper. Shocks currently are some bilsteins. Nothing special. I also went with the super duty springs, and it seems the rear has some heavier leafs on it as well. The truck had a 5th wheel, so someone must have done some towing and put something stiffer back there. I'll worry more about suspension when the camper is done and I have a good feel for how much it will weight. The truck will have the camper on it most of the time I assume, and if I have to take it off to move stuff it will probably be pretty loaded as I have a smaller 1500 dodge that can handle smaller jobs.

GarrickG

I am loving the discussion so far! I just picked up a 94 F250 and have plans for a similar build. I have the same questions about springs, shocks, etc as Chorky and others. I’m excited to see your choices for this.

What SD front springs did you use (spring code)?
Is there any reason you used SD over the OBS length springs?

I have worked with Fernando at Atlas in the past and I have nothing but great things to say about this group. These guys were awesome to work with and I would definitely recommend them when (if) it becomes a need for your rear springs.

Braking power is a big deal for me as well. Can you share what braking upgrades the D60 has? I’m currently shopping for a D60 to build. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Keep the updates coming! This is great!

longroad2nowhere

Far from done, but she’s road worthy again. Rather pleased with how this came out being my first time ever building something like this. Think it looks pretty good. Really excited to see it after we get some tool boxes made.
16635BFB-1DD8-4D0C-8DEA-779D301AD8F8.jpeg
2F619AE5-9EB9-4C4E-A513-980123640A17.jpeg
32546C39-263E-49C0-A390-01E5300419F7.jpeg

Unfortunately i have to move my shop this week, so not sure how much more progress I’ll make, but hoping to find time to get the alum cut for the boxes so i can drop the pieces off for my buddy to weld up.

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
What size aluminum stock did you use for the flatbed?

Congrats on the A frame, hopefully that doesn’t distract from the camper too much.

-Chris

longroad2nowhere

Quick late night update while I’ve got a chance. Been a busy week for us, so not as much progress as I’d hoped. We had to move our shop about an hour away, and we finally took ownership of our new house after a two month long escrow.

A23A1A03-4B0E-4ED4-922D-07D4E8976634.jpeg
Ain’t it cute.

Anyways got a little bit of truck stuff done today. Mocked up some templates out of some scrap mdf i had laying around, go creative with some clamps and was able to get a feel for the shape of the tool boxes before we built em.

76E5501A-CE87-460F-9AEE-C39CA218769A.jpeg761B3E43-4960-4A72-97F5-EB07FAC71340.jpeg

This is pretty close to what i settled on. 12” tall and 12” deep. Gonna bring both boxes in 1” closer to the wheel, and maybe make the departure angle on the rear one a little steeper.

05F10B73-AB38-4021-86EE-E39789CD838C.jpeg

Got to cutting aluminum the for the boxes. Had a few things left at my old shop i needed to pick up, so took advantage of access to my old shop mates massive 12ft sheer. This thing is so awesome.

0E6C4233-9114-4FFD-96ED-983D8536CD37.jpeg

Got all the pieces cut for the two front boxes. Didn’t have enough aluminum for the back two, gotta pick up another sheet :/

Just gonna have my buddy weld them up as a solid box and then I’ll route out the doors afterwards.
FD3AAE52-11E6-4C8F-AF55-A3322F2455FC.jpeg
I’m gonna do the boxes kinda like these with some kind of composite for the door that overlaps the box with some weatherstripping and a good lock. That way i didn’t have to deal with making a bunch of crazy bends to inset the doors. I also really like the look of it. Reads more “overland” and less “contractor rig.”

That’s all i got for now. Got some indicator lights in today that I’m gonna add along the side of the bed so it doesn’t disappear without the camper on. Also got some house projects i need to get moving on now, so hopefully that doesn’t slow things down too much. The fiancé bought me a heater for a sauna for my birthday on Monday so it looks like the first major home project is building a barrel sauna, which I’m almost as excited about as the truck.

4E97659B-84B1-487A-9063-943C5248CB0E.jpeg

Anyways hoping to get moving in that soon, but I’ll try and keep going with the truck stuff. Hopefully have some boxes built and installed to show you guy sometime this week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior