OBS F250 Build

burt

Observer
The new motor and fuel tank are still about 2 months out. The suspension mounts should be back from powdercoating this week. I'm in the process of figuring out which diff locker I want to use on the front, which wheels I want to use, what I want to do with the bed, and what I'm going to to do with the truck's interior. That's only a small number of the decisions I need to make - those just happen to be in the forefront of my mind.

Minor parts that have arrived recently are a Red Head steering box and S&B silicone cab mounts. Also included is a random photo of my F350 on some bias ply LT 9.00/-16's :)
Sweet build. I’m wrapping up a frame off resto on my trusty 1990 f350 right now. I would go arb for lockers without a doubt. I put that same aero tank in mine and I guess I lucked out because mine came lightning fast and that wasn’t too long ago. Look forward to seeing the progress. i Usually ditch any broken plastic clips like those brake line ones and use stainless straps with the rubber liner and bolt them to the frame. Something I’d recommend that probably isn’t too late for you is to have aero build in a sump where the pickup tube sucks from. It will be right behind the axle so won’t get in the way of anything and will make it so you won’t run out of fuel until you are really out of fuel and will help not suck air on real steep or off camber situations. I’ve gotten a couple tanks from them and did that and the skidplate which is another layer of steel welded to the bottom. They will build it however you want for not much more money really

PSD

Sweet build. I’m wrapping up a frame off resto on my trusty 1990 f350 right now. I would go arb for lockers without a doubt. I put that same aero tank in mine and I guess I lucked out because mine came lightning fast and that wasn’t too long ago. Look forward to seeing the progress. i Usually ditch any broken plastic clips like those brake line ones and use stainless straps with the rubber liner and bolt them to the frame. Something I’d recommend that probably isn’t too late for you is to have aero build in a sump where the pickup tube sucks from. It will be right behind the axle so won’t get in the way of anything and will make it so you won’t run out of fuel until you are really out of fuel and will help not suck air on real steep or off camber situations. I’ve gotten a couple tanks from them and did that and the skidplate which is another layer of steel welded to the bottom. They will build it however you want for not much more money really

Awesome - thanks for the heads up. A sump would be awesome... I'll see if it's not too late. They said they ran into issues sourcing raw materials for building tanks, but are currently back at it. I just got a call from them last week and they said they're back to building tanks.

Awesome build so far. Looks like the truck is in good hands. Miss my OBS

Thanks... such a sweet truck; it deserves the good treatment. Lots of sentimental value with this one...

PSD

Got the Sky's ORD suspension parts back from powdercoating and got it all mounted. Everything fit well. Got the radius arms hung from the new brackets; now waiting on some Icon springs and we'll be able to get the rest of the front axle/suspension dialed. My friend has a killer old brake lathe machine to cut brake rotors on; he spent some time with them and they're looking great.

I started working on getting the surface rust off of the rear axle (also off of a 2006 Superduty). I have a kit from Sky's for the '08+ leaf spring conversion. As soon as that shows up, we'll be able to hang the rear axle. Need to figure out wheels and tires; at this point I have no idea whats available for this bolt pattern. I'm guessing the good ole 16' steel wheels wont be an option anymore :(

Attachments

• F250-23.jpg
    F250-23.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 105
  • F250-24.jpg
    F250-24.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 104

PSD

Had a question that I'm hoping the informed among us can help with....

The new leaf spring mounts from Sky's should be here this week, but I haven't ordered leaf springs yet. Does anyone know what the stock spring capacity is on the '97 F250? I'm trying to figure out what springs I should order. I know there are endless variables, but I don't anticipate hauling anything very heavy with this truck, as my F350 generally handles that task.

Anyone have any thoughts on rear springs? The new spring mounts are for the '08+ leafs.

Other than that... the rear fuel tank has arrived. Just waiting to get the rear suspension mounted before installing the tank, just in case the tank would be in the way. Other than that, it's still just a waiting game on more parts to arrive.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Id just run OEM leafs for a 3/4 ton.

They are sprung pretty soft, and with the longer (than OBS) leaf pack, the ride is decent.

Most are disappointed in the (lack of) capacity. Put any real weight in them and they sink to the ground :ROFLMAO:

Thats why most 3/4 (and 1-ton) superduties that haul heavy use overloads or bags.

Chorky

Observer
not sure this is helpful since i do not have weights, but for my obs 350 i used SD 250 springs - supposedly a lower rate. It rides WAY better. For the rear I removed the overloads, and think if I removed one more (the short one on the bottom) it would ride very nice. I'm about 4K on each axle. I have loaded the rear (with the SD springs) down with probably 3K and had zero squat... Personally if I keep the truck long term I will have a ligher spring weight, and run bags to pump up on the road or when hauling, but a lighter rate for off highway use.

PSD

Id just run OEM leafs for a 3/4 ton.

They are sprung pretty soft, and with the longer (than OBS) leaf pack, the ride is decent.

Most are disappointed in the (lack of) capacity. Put any real weight in them and they sink to the ground :ROFLMAO:

Thats why most 3/4 (and 1-ton) superduties that haul heavy use overloads or bags.
not sure this is helpful since i do not have weights, but for my obs 350 i used SD 250 springs - supposedly a lower rate. It rides WAY better. For the rear I removed the overloads, and think if I removed one more (the short one on the bottom) it would ride very nice. I'm about 4K on each axle. I have loaded the rear (with the SD springs) down with probably 3K and had zero squat... Personally if I keep the truck long term I will have a ligher spring weight, and run bags to pump up on the road or when hauling, but a lighter rate for off highway use.

Thanks for the replies guys!

I ended up getting some 4/1 springs (spring capacity is 2,700lbs) and removing the overload... this truck won't be hauling much, and if I find myself using it for hauling, I can throw some airbags on it.

PSD

Incremental progress on the truck. Things are moving slow, partially due to my schedule, partly due to the lack of availability of parts. Front air locker has arrived; still waiting on the rear limited slip.

Attachments

• F250-25.jpg
    F250-25.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 82
  • F250-26.jpg
    F250-26.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 76

PSD

Quick question: does anyone have any thoughts on steering linkage? My axle didn't come with anything, so I'm wondering if there are aftermarket options (this is an '05 front axle) that folks might recommend?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Bullet Proof, Cognito, Moog, and many others make upgraded steering components for that era front end.

Reactions: PSD

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
No experience with Bullet Proof or Cognito (which doesnt seem to list anything for 2005-2011 BTW) but for the record, Moog is nowhere near an upgrade compared to OEM.

For these coil sprung Super60's, I wouldn't suggest anything other than OEM Motorcraft.

Reactions: PSD
I think the reference to Moog maybe related to using 1 ton chevy tie rod and drag link ends.
F144147534.jpg

It requires you cutting DOM tubing and welding tube adapters to the end. A DIY type setup. Very common in the off road crowd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles