OBS F250 Build

twodollars

PSD, I've had some success finding oddball clips and retainers on ebay. It took some time, using various word searches, but I did find what I was looking for. And they were pretty inexpensive. The dealer might be worth a try, if for nothing more than to get a part number to search for.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
Possibly my favorite Ford bodystyle. My dad had a 1993 F150 and I loved that truck. I always thought that truck with a modern drivetrain and interior would be awesome. I look forward to following your build!

PSD

PSD, I've had some success finding oddball clips and retainers on ebay. It took some time, using various word searches, but I did find what I was looking for. And they were pretty inexpensive. The dealer might be worth a try, if for nothing more than to get a part number to search for.

Thanks for the reply. So far, I haven't broken any, but I think it's only a matter of time. I'll get on the search for replacements soon...

Possibly my favorite Ford bodystyle. My dad had a 1993 F150 and I loved that truck. I always thought that truck with a modern drivetrain and interior would be awesome. I look forward to following your build!

Agreed... it's always been my favorite. When I was a teenager, my friend's dad had a black crew cab with the short bed. I thinj his was a '96. I wanted one ever since. The stock platform has some issues (especially with the TTB on the 3/4 ton), but I think this project will cost quite a bit less than a new truck, and will be infinitely more reliable (not to mention better looking, according to my taste).

PSD

Rear axle is out, which means I need to do some research on swapping an '06+ axle. I've got a 45 gallon rear tank on backorder from AeroTanks out of Southern CA. Should be arriving early 2021. Like most places, they're having trouble sourcing the materials needed for manufacturing.

I've still got a solid day's worth of work to remove the rest of the surface rust on the frame. Fortunately, it's in great shape otherwise.

F250-18.jpg
F250-17.jpg

PSD

Started applying the first coat of paint on the frame.

As soon as it started drying, I began to notice spots that needed attention (mostly pockets of oil from a major driver's side oil leak that happened at some point in the truck's life, and managed to escaped the wire wheel and degreaser treatments...)

F250-19.jpg

F250-20.jpg

Fuel tank and motor are still a few months out. Until then, there's plenty to do; servicing/mounting the '06 front and rear axles are next on the list.

Last edited:

PSD

This is awesome! What are you using for paint?

Sorry for the delay! Been using ZeroRust on the frame. Suspension mounts and other items that fit in the bed of my other truck are being powdercoted.
You can find plenty of arguments on auto body forums regarding ZeroRust vs Por15 vs Rustoleum... my final decision came from seeing some of my friends’ vehicle’s frames that were restored with ZeroRust, and their subsequent condition.

PSD

Progress has been slow. Mostly waiting on parts. The front differential looks to be in good condition. Frame is mostly done.... I keep finding spots that need attention, but it’s 99%. I eventually had to come to terms with the fact that it’s a frame, and without a sandblaster, it wasn’t gonna be perfect.

Attachments

• 56418DD2-7C5F-475B-8535-B7DB5CA70272.jpeg
    56418DD2-7C5F-475B-8535-B7DB5CA70272.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 54
  • 0896EA77-D957-4EF4-8605-57EDC6AE2EB9.jpeg
    0896EA77-D957-4EF4-8605-57EDC6AE2EB9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 59
  • 76EAD736-6D0C-4383-AAA8-76ECBC2727D0.jpeg
    76EAD736-6D0C-4383-AAA8-76ECBC2727D0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 56

BajaSurfRig

@PSD I am currently driving a 2014 F250 with the 6.2 Gas.

I loved my 7.3's but my last one began to seriously nickel and dime me and financially it made sense to get a newer truck with a third the miles (selling old truck + potential cost of new transmission and suspension update= cost of new truck).

Chorky

Observer
Sorry for the delay! Been using ZeroRust on the frame. Suspension mounts and other items that fit in the bed of my other truck are being powdercoted.
You can find plenty of arguments on auto body forums regarding ZeroRust vs Por15 vs Rustoleum... my final decision came from seeing some of my friends’ vehicle’s frames that were restored with ZeroRust, and their subsequent condition.

well it looks darn good from here! I had wondered if it was one of the eastwood products. From everything I understand, por15 is a poor choice for a long frame, it hardens and cracks easy. but this looks really great!

PSD

@PSD I am currently driving a 2014 F250 with the 6.2 Gas.

I loved my 7.3's but my last one began to seriously nickel and dime me and financially it made sense to get a newer truck with a third the miles (selling old truck + potential cost of new transmission and suspension update= cost of new truck).

Nickle and dime - haha! That's a good way to put it. Mine have both had their run of issues, but they've been relatively minor (with the exception of an aftermarket turbo's center bearing that failed and destroyed the turbo... fortunately the intercooler caught the shards of metal).

well it looks darn good from here! I had wondered if it was one of the eastwood products. From everything I understand, por15 is a poor choice for a long frame, it hardens and cracks easy. but this looks really great!

Thanks! That was some of the feedback I had gotten from a friend about Por15.... he had used it on an industrial project; the paint cracked and water to begin to accumulate under the paint, which caused a whole mess of rust and work. I figure that, if nothing else, what I'm using will be easy to do touch-ups on.

PSD

The new motor and fuel tank are still about 2 months out. The suspension mounts should be back from powdercoating this week. I'm in the process of figuring out which diff locker I want to use on the front, which wheels I want to use, what I want to do with the bed, and what I'm going to to do with the truck's interior. That's only a small number of the decisions I need to make - those just happen to be in the forefront of my mind.

Minor parts that have arrived recently are a Red Head steering box and S&B silicone cab mounts. Also included is a random photo of my F350 on some bias ply LT 9.00/-16's :)

Attachments

• F250-21.jpg
    F250-21.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 49
  • F250-22.jpg
    F250-22.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 82
  • F350-1.jpg
    F350-1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 86

Chorky

Observer
I went with true tracks front and rear for ease and simplicity. Although, I havent had them actually engage yet thanks to the wheelbase and weight so I cant actually speak on their performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior