OBI Dweller Review and Discussion

Phuston

Just picked up my Dweller 15 at Outback RV in Denton last Saturday. I really wish they would’ve followed suit with the OP-15 layout…… the one bunk is really short, but it does have a lot of storage.

I’m new to overlanding/camping in general so really don’t even know my needs just yet. The bunk will be a good overhead storage if nothing else.
Kind of disheartening to hear. I’m trading an opus for the OBI. Tired of the rooftop ac and the no storage layout. Seems as if OBI thought about the storage spots and put the majority of the items below the bed. I’m literally trading next week. May just goto the 13.

gendlert

Looked a little closer at the 15 pics. If I'm seeing it right, and based on the 13 build style, I think you can remove one of the spares at the frame by loosening the bolts and sliding the steel tubes out, leaving you two 2" receivers. I wouldn't want to drag around two full size spares for a single axle rig, but I could think of a lot of cool uses for that extra set of receivers. Bike rack (might have to fab up an extender), custom firewood carrier, tool rack, etc. Those of you that are handy with a welder could come up with some cool ideas back there.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Brad Saxton

Looked a little closer at the 15 pics. If I'm seeing it right, and based on the 13 build style, I think you can remove one of the spares at the frame by loosening the bolts and sliding the steel tubes out, leaving you two 2" receivers. I wouldn't want to drag around two full size spares for a single axle rig, but I could think of a lot of cool uses for that extra set of receivers. Bike rack (might have to fab up an extender), custom firewood carrier, tool rack, etc. Those of you that are handy with a welder could come up with some cool ideas back there.

good thought, I’ve been pondering how I’m going to drag two kayaks and two mountain bikes around. Roof top rack will suffice for the kayaks, I’ll be looking into removing one of the spares in hopes to mount a bike carrier.

WingShot

Really like the layout. Would fit my needs perfectly, but wonder what the dimensions of the bunk are since OBi has yet to provide any info on their website.

Also, the weight...ooofff...
The OBi website isn't very informative. Just recently had the manual for the 13' available, but it is pretty worthless. Facebook page isn't much help either and neither is the documentation that is included with the camper. The lack of available information was our biggest apprehension.

gendlert

We are debating whether or not to use the toilet/shower at all. How many days before you have to empty the cassette?
We use both on every trip because it's so easy and makes life just that much better. The cassette is 15L, I think? For the two of us, only using it for #2, we can get 6 days no problem. I've never had the warning light come on, so I don't know the real limit is. I will typically do two weekend trips and then empty the cassette. Mind you it's winter right now, so that's an ok solution because it's not cooking the cassette between trips (gross); I might empty every time come summer. We have a sewer clean out in our driveway where the trailer is parked, too, so emptying the cassette takes a couple of minutes and no special trip for me. I get that's not gonna be the case for everyone. I find the toilet to be well worth every use.

And the shower is no maintenance. Just turn on the water heater and you're good to go in 30 mins. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the combo shower/toilet thing works great for us because of our daily rhythm (toilet in the morning, shower in the afternoon). So take my review for what it's worth: a single data point.

4x4tripping

Adventurer
Thank you for you detailed writeup! I love your setup!

You still could too use toilet bags from the foldable toilets, if you dont want to clean it afterwars - for shorter trips.

trippin

gendlert

2 more feet, more storage, an extra bed, an extra spare, and about 1000 pounds. The guts and accessories are the same.

chrslefty

Observer
Any new updates? Hows it holding up? Were really considering purchasing one. Do you have insurance on your trailer? Any tips for a first time trailer buyer??
I love the the company is based out of mesa az.

gendlert

Any new updates? Hows it holding up? Were really considering purchasing one. Do you have insurance on your trailer? Any tips for a first time trailer buyer??
I love the the company is based out of mesa az.
Honestly, there's nothing to update yet. Nothing has broken, we haven't found any new issues, and we haven't started making a list of things we wish it had. We've really enjoyed our time with it so far, and after each trip we just find ourselves even more excited for the next one. Like anything else out there, the right trailer for me might not be the right trailer for you, so just do your research and make your list of things you care about. This one checks all of the boxes for us.

We do have insurance, through progressive. Hopefully we won't have to use it.

And as for a first time trailer buyer, just do your research. I've owned 3 trailers now, and they've been wildly different. But I learned a lot about what I wanted with each one. I also learned how to fix stuff. Trailer repairs at a dealer, even if under warranty, can take a long time. If you're willing to do the work on your own, you'll be way happier even if it costs you a little money. I haven't had to make any repairs on the Dweller, but I wouldn't take it to the dealer unless it was something major. My point here is don't let the dealer upsell you on maintenance plans and extended warranty stuff, because you'll probably end up doing the work yourself anyway. At least I would. Other than that, get ready to have a ton of fun. Whatever trailer you choose, it's a great hobby and will lead to a ton of great stories and adventures.

chrslefty

Observer
Thanks for the update and advice. It's just me and the wife so the this size seams to be a great fit . It will alow us to get to some more remote spots as well as being able to stay at camp ground ect.
Have you taken the trailer down any roads harder than the typical graded dirt roads up on the rim?

gendlert

Sure. We've taken it through a few roads where I'm knocking the sliders on the truck. I don't have a lifted rock crawler, but the trailer is capable of going where the truck goes generally. I'll take pics on our next excursion.

chrslefty

Observer
Sure. We've taken it through a few roads where I'm knocking the sliders on the truck. I don't have a lifted rock crawler, but the trailer is capable of going where the truck goes generally. I'll take pics on our next excursion.

That would be great.
Good to know its capable. Obviously wouldn't be towing it with a rock crawler. I have a tundra to tow with.
I'm looking into financing now. Toms camping has a sale on them tell the end of the month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94