OBDR in 2011, wanna?

91redford

I was reading through some of the threads in this forum and figured a discussion of a possible ride might be a good change from just bike brands & gear chat...i live on the coast of oregon and have been eyeing this ride for some time...any x men that have done this? or any that want to? please chime in...i am hoping to get out there in june or wait until september when school starts, i could ride a BMW1200GSA, but will be easier to ding up my older KLR, i like solo travel but it would be cool to do a 4 or so group ride of total strangers...ah what stories we could all tell...so you in?:bike_rider:

I was reading through some of the threads in this forum and figured a discussion of a possible ride might be a good change from just bike brands & gear chat...i live on the coast of oregon and have been eyeing this ride for some time...any x men that have done this? or any that want to? please chime in...i am hoping to get out there in june or wait until september when school starts, i could ride a BMW1200GSA, but will be easier to ding up my older KLR, i like solo travel but it would be cool to do a 4 or so group ride of total strangers...ah what stories we could all tell...so you in?:bike_rider:

What dates are you looking at? I had to cancel my trip last year and owe it to myself to do it this year.

I'm even all kitted up and ready to go with maps, Ore ATV permit, and Ore-spec'd insurance. :bike_rider:

I'm out on the coast in SW.WA, so we could even ride to the start point together. Were you thinking Top-Down? or Bottom-Up?

And I am under the assumption you're speaking to Route 5, from Walla Walla, WA to Lakeview, CA?

91redford

re

i'm able to take a bit of time off with a weeks notice so was trying to keep a plan open and see what interest this thread drew, what works in your schedule friend? i would think to early presents some snow crossings & wet conditions and the middle of july is hot, fall maybe but that seems a long way from now,..maybe the last part of june, back home for 4th of july. if you have maps and a good plan i'm happy to hear your interested. the route your talking about from north to south is good for me. we could ride from NW to start of route, what bike are you riding and what are your skills? i'm no motoX'r but have some good gravel/dirt saddle time and my KLR should be dam bombproof,...wood knocking sound

i'm able to take a bit of time off with a weeks notice so was trying to keep a plan open and see what interest this thread drew, what works in your schedule friend? i would think to early presents some snow crossings & wet conditions and the middle of july is hot, fall maybe but that seems a long way from now,..maybe the last part of june, back home for 4th of july. if you have maps and a good plan i'm happy to hear your interested. the route your talking about from north to south is good for me. we could ride from NW to start of route, what bike are you riding and what are your skills? i'm no motoX'r but have some good gravel/dirt saddle time and my KLR should be dam bombproof,...wood knocking sound

We'd both be on 650s, I might be a bit slower just due to it being a DL. I have plenty of FS/logging roads under my belt. A bit of stream crossings, a realization that mud is slippery when wet and sand is slippery when dry.

I am tied up lat July/early Aug. The best time to go I'm told is late Aug/early Sep. How does that sound?

91redford

Re

Early sept sounds like it could be the time then. i'll mark my calender and why don't we make a plan to meet & greet share some food & a ride locally and get a chance to hang out. i live in a great place to ride from. about 2 miles east of Jewell elk reserve, along hwy 202. when things get on towards spring i'll get my bikes out of storage and PM you regarding riding. :bike_rider:

Early sept sounds like it could be the time then. i'll mark my calender and why don't we make a plan to meet & greet share some food & a ride locally and get a chance to hang out. i live in a great place to ride from. about 2 miles east of Jewell elk reserve, along hwy 202. when things get on towards spring i'll get my bikes out of storage and PM you regarding riding. :bike_rider:

Sounds good. My bike is getting worked on at the moment, otherwise I'd be out riding.

I live up in the twin harbors of Wa, so only about 2hr drive. Been looking for an excuse to ride to your area, guess I found one...

dedsled

I've got the OBDR maps for routes 2 & 3 and would be interested in going along. I am in Crescent City, CA and will probably be riding the Oregon 500 out of Portland on the 7th of May. Perhaps we could meet up in Portland and see if we are at least a little compatable. I'd be on an F650 GS. Gee, all we need is someone on a KTM.

dedsled

I've got the OBDR maps for routes 2 & 3 and would be interested in going along. I am in Crescent City, CA and will probably be riding the Oregon 500 out of Portland on the 7th of May. Perhaps we could meet up in Portland and see if we are at least a little compatable. I'd be on an F650 GS. Gee, all we need is someone on a KTM.

dedsled

Yup. Maybe we could convince Scott on his KTM and Dave on his KLR650 to come too. Not certain if Scott's tackled Route 5 yet, and know Dave hasn't.

I have no plans 7May, and have no problems heading to Portland.

91redford

i like the idea of a meet & ride, if the oregon 500 is what works that's good for me, but i won't ride my KLR on that...and if i ride the GSA i ride kinda fast...so maybe not the best test of compatability...but still a chance to put a name to a face...good! i know the dedsleder, and aside from some snoring we get along fine..just keep posting info and we should be able to make this happen..what do you guys think is the ideal number of riders for this trip? 2,3, 5? just curious...and a bit anxious, this is the Oregon outback ya know!!:wings:

i like the idea of a meet & ride, if the oregon 500 is what works that's good for me, but i won't ride my KLR on that...and if i ride the GSA i ride kinda fast...so maybe not the best test of compatability...but still a chance to put a name to a face...good! i know the dedsleder, and aside from some snoring we get along fine..just keep posting info and we should be able to make this happen..what do you guys think is the ideal number of riders for this trip? 2,3, 5? just curious...and a bit anxious, this is the Oregon outback ya know!!:wings:

2 or more, but no more than 5. I've seen OBDR trips with 6+ take a whole week when 2-3 guys have done it in 3 days.

dedsled

I don't think we all need to ride the 500 together, although I'm sure it would be fun (and a good chance to meet.) I was thinking of coming to Portland a day or so before the 500, and/or stay a day or so after, and we could try a bit of off roading together, mainly to see if I can keep up with you guys. I think a good number riders would be three, four, or five. As long as there are enough guys to pick me and my bike up after I crash at the water crossings:REExeSwimmingHL: As for the snoring, I guess I'll have to pitch my tent on the far side of the campsite.

I don't think we all need to ride the 500 together, although I'm sure it would be fun (and a good chance to meet.)

I can't take the time to ride the 500, but I could make it down to meet. If you guys were planning on staying the night in Portland, I could even meet on Sunday.

I had no idea on the Oregon 500 schedule until a few seconds ago, and it is clearly an all-day deal for the participants.

Think about it, let me know, I am very flexible.

dedsled

It would be fun to ride the Oregon 500 together, and a good chance to meet. But, 91redford is right, no chance to see if our off road skills (and personalities) are compatable. I could be in Portland a day or two early, or stay a few days after, the 500. That might give us a chance to meet and do a little off road riding, mainly to see if I can keep up with you guys. As far as the size of the group, as long as there are enough guys to pick me and my bike up after I crash in the water crossings, all should be good:REExeSwimmingHL: I guess the "heavy breathing during sleep" issue could be solved by pitching my tent on the outskirts of the campsite.

91redford

re

OK lets think about a good meet & greet location...Coastal your north of me & deadsled your south...so maybe you should both come to Jewell for a visit and some riding...we could see if my GPS tracks going over gravel from benecke creek rd to hwy 30 are worth a ****, that will give us some idea of whats what...if you guys wanna do that in the next month or so. cool! if not no problumo. :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior