obd II - PC based software?

Joanne

Adventurer
Hi all,

I have a 1999 Isuzu Trooper that's starting to get up in the miles. I'm reasonably familiar with vehicles, tools and simple repairs. I've downloaded the Isuzu manual and would now like to pull the codes out of the onboard computer. I played with shorting the pins and counting the flashing lights, but what a pain! I have a basic mistrust of repair folks since I've been "taken for a ride" in the past. When I do have to go the the repair shop I want to have a pretty good idea of what's going on BEFORE I go there.

I know that there are a number of hand held readers available, but I was wondering if there are any good PC based readers available. I have a laptop and was thinking that it might be better to us it than to buy the handheld unit. Plus I would expect PC software should have more functionality than the hand held unit.

Any recommendations? Am I barking up the wrong tree with wanting PC based software?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Joanne

Robthebrit

Explorer
http://www.obddiagnostics.com/

I use this one, it pretty cheap and works great. The hardware pretty much works with all systems but it does need a serial port on the PC. I use it with a USB->Serial converter and it works fine.

The software is good and it not only shows the error codes and allows you to clear them but it also includes a real time view of the sensors, much better than things like Scanguage. Even better is there is a whole suite of open source software that works with this hardware and some of this software is fantastic.

EDIT: If you just want the codes most Pep Boys and Autozone stores will scan the codes for free.

Rob

Last edited:

4RunAmok

Explorer
The software Rob mentions, while free to download, it's ok for some things, but did not help me properly diagnose and would not shut off the CEL (Check Engine Light).

I also have Auterra PC Scan Tool USB. A bit pricey, but it has kept me from ending TWO long distance 4x4 trips early. It has it's own database of the codes. http://www.auterraweb.com/dynoscankitwindows.html

After ending one of our trips early and finding out it was an O2 sensor lying to the computer, and a simple shutting off the CEL and all was all that was needed, I decided it would not happen again.

During our last trip to Anza Borrego, the CEL came on after going through some deep water, and I opened up the software Rob mentioned because it loads faster, and a bunch of codes showed up, and it would not reset the light. Loading the Auterra, it only showed the stupid o2 Sensor light again, and easily shut off the light.

Robthebrit

Explorer
I never had any problems with the software, it can be a little funky to use but it always worked. The open source software is much better and you get the source if you are into that sort of thing - let me find the links.

Rob

nvprospector

Adventurer
I have always have had good luck with ScanTool. The software is free and if you are any good at electronics they have the schematics to build the OBDII adaptor on the website. If you buy the adapter it is only about $55 for the USB version and comes with a CD of the software. When I built my adabtor it came to about $15 in parts. It does live monitoring of your system as well as dianogstics and resting of the lights. Since it is open source software there are people on the site that have added manufactured specific trouble codes, changed the interface and have also added new features and this is free for the download.

Green Ganesha

Adventurer
I've been using this OBD-2 Automotive Scan Tool for a few years, and am happy.

Its custom-configurable real-time "virtual dashboard" is also a nice feature.
gauge1.gif

Joanne

Adventurer
Thanks everyone for the great information! I'll do a bit more research with this information to find something that fits my needs and budget. I didn't want to order something without asking here first because everyone on the internet claims their product is the best. I know you guys are serious about your vehicles and that I would get good info.

Thanks again! :bowdown:

Joanne

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles